Interior Mustang Mods

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Stormin' Norman, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Mustang hatchbacks from 1982 and up, had the split rear fold down seats and the cargo cover. I started collecting parts last October (2009), and finally have the right weather to do this.

Here's the orignal thread.
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6001

So I hauled out my old seat yesterday, and took a look at my bits and pieces and found that I need one bracket and a picture of the inside hinge brackets to drill and mount them.

The Fox Wagon floorpans are 1" longer than the Mustang and Capri models as well as the sedan models. So the location holes for the inside hinge brackets for the fold-down backs are not even 'hinted' in the wagon floor. I have to get some pics today.

Here's how the car looked like before I took the rear seat out:
    newinterior08.jpg

And this is where it's going:
    pict1887.jpg

I'm also going to get the Automatic Floor Shifter from an I6 1982 Capri. All the levers and cables are there as well. I lost my column shift indicator when I installed the Mustang dash, and found this Capri about 2 weeks ago.

If I get really lucky, I may just scoop the floor console and the dash. Its in great condition, and they're hard to find. I'll scoop the column shifter delete cover while I'm at it.

2. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't get out today. I did have a good look at the existing fabric, which is in good shape. Soooo... I'm going dye hunting. ) found the order sheet under the Baby LTD seat, so I have the colour codes and fabric colours. Now I just have to get the matching dye colour. The LTD seat bottom isn't faded either, and I'll hedge my bets by dying the Mustand seat bottom as well. I'll get the pics tomorrow.

I'll tell you these seats are one of the simplest uphostery jobs ever.

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archive/2009/08/31/Mustang-Seat-Upholstery-Installation.aspx

3. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Excellent blog on the install. I wish I would have had this back in 1990 when I re-covered the seats in my 85 Mustang Gt Convertible. :rofl:

4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I just made it into a PDF. 43 pics! Good detail.:)

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Rite on Norm, you are the Fox body man for sure(y)

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    The stuff you can do with a Fox Wagon, Tedy! Just blows me away. Everybody forgets about the Capris, and I found this JY with 6 of them. No turbos, yet. Andy and I are thinking about doing our sixes with turbos. Same carb, exhaust manifold upside down, and some fancy tubing work. Both our engines are solid. His can rev out more than mine, with the new cam, but mine only has maybe 4,000 miles since it was professionally rebuilt. I still have about 50 junkyards to check out.:evilsmile:

I'm thinking I might get the forward-facing rear speaker enclosures from a Hatchback Mustang or Capri and get my sound right too.:D

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Ok. The Dye experiment.

My mother used this line in her highend gowns and tailoring business for almost 20 years.

http://www.ritdye.com/Home.79.lasso

They've got a decent FAQ about what fabrics and what colors to use, depending on what you're starting with:
    http://www.ritdye.com/FAQs.81.lasso

And there's bright red as a good canditate for Dark Brown.:thumbs2:

Soooo. I'll haul out the steam cleaner (good old Bissell machine) and get everyhing ready. Then I'll go pick some brains at the big fabric vendor (Winnipeg is a big needle-trade center, after Montreal, so we've got lots of trade vendors.)

I'll use the washing machine (stainless steel tub), based on these instructions - the uphostery weighs just under 6 lbs, so I'll need 2 bottles of the liquid Dye format:
    http://www.ritdye.com/Washing_Machine.136.lasso

EDIT: I'll use this Dye Fixative too, to prevent the dyed fabric from leaching into somebody's white dresses or coats when SHE comes in from a rainy day. ;)
    http://www.ritdye.com/Fabric_Treatments.95.105.7.68.lasso

The only issue will be the vinyl sections at the bottom of the seatback. I'll use SEMS vinyl dye for that.

These dyes cost $4 per bottle (X 3) plus the Fixative @ $3.79 (X 2) = $20~
    SEMS Dye - 1 custom tinted spray can @ $33

Under $100, with the ScotchGuard. That works for me.
    END EDIT:

Once its all dry, I'll spray the whole thing with 3M's ScotchGuard for UVA and UVB protection as well as stain repellent.

I'll reuse my carpet for now, until the renos are done, then I'll get new carpet from a Mustang vendor like LRS. Might need two lengths for the wagon's cargo area. It's the nylon seat 'hookstrips' that make it a bit awkward to use stock cargo carpet:
    http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Mustang-Rear-Hatch-Area-Carpet

Well that's the rough outline strategy. Dark Brown was not a stock Mustang color, so I have to overcome, adapt, etc.;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Hey Tedy! You just turned on a litebulb! Fox = Zorro in Spanish! I could make up some fancy Zees and mount them on the sides or get a vanity plate. It's part Stang, part Zephyr, part Baby LTD, part Capri. hmmm...:idea:

9. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Norm, I know all to well about the "swap and shop" when it comes to these Fox wagons but my hats of to you:tiphat:, you ARE living the dream to make that perfect wagon and only useing factory suplied stuff:cheers:

10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Not too many lines like these foxy wagons. Its like a perfect world. Mustang vendors will be around for a long time and almost anywhere you want to drive! Plus, they keep refining the basic and performance products!

11. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

Yah that's a nice write-up on the upholstery.
    I have two pairs of buckets that need it, too bad I don't have the $300 for the skins. :cry:

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    We should watch KIJIJI for an industrial sewing machine. I know how to sew up upholstery. (shhh...)

13. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Tedy I found one more reason for Fox upgrades. The emergency brake cables. The wagon cables are getting rare, but the Mustang Capri cables are everywhere, and for many more years. Mine are good, but they're old, so I'll scoop the console and front seats (mine have the LTD armrests:cry:). I need the automatic floorshifter anyway, and I'll need the engine monitor eventually, when I do the Turbo Six install/swap.

Got the camera all charged up, and spare batteries.:rofl2:

14. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Don't forget the T-Birds/Cougars when it comes to needing parts...like the e-brake cables etc.

15. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

Impending e-brake obsolescence is a good enough reason for a complete interior and drivetrain swap, I'd say. :rofl2: