"Chrome" Paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by jase386, Mar 11, 2010.

1. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
    which brand of Chrome paint do you fellas like the best? I want to repaint the insides of my turn signal housing where the old stuff is flaking off. I have used "chrome" paint before and it turned gun metal gray when i cleared over it to make it wipeable. So im looking for a chrome paint that sticks and wont rub off on my fingers months after its painted.

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've used Krylon's Chrome on the inside of my backup and taillight/park lenses and it stays shiny, doesn't flake either. I don't know about surface coats where people are touching it.

3. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, nice stuff! The Krylon wouldn't come close. So with an oven in the shop, you could do a pretty quick job of it. Me like!:banana:

4. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the tip, bigaadams.

Both my cars need the bezels on the dash guages re-done. That looks like it will be perfect for the job. I can think of a few other non-automotive things that I'd love to "chrome", too.

5. steve v

steve v Active Member

I wonder if the plastic bezels will make it thru the 140 degree oven cure process?

6. tsynek

tsynek New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm gonna chrome my nose piece like the boys in Miami! Heck, I may even chrome the whole front clip just to pik up the ladies, wait, I'm married. Ok so what I meant wuz I'm gonna do it to put some serious Donkness in the wagon:dance:

7. Steve-E-D

Wagon Garage:
    The oven cure is optional to save 23.5 hours cure time. (y)

Not sure what they are actually made from, but the melt point of ABS or polystyrene (the two most likely materials) are 221 F and 185 F.
    HIPS (high impact polystyrene) only has an max operating temp of 140 F, but ABS will hold its shape up to 194 F.

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Excellent info. Now I need an old oven! :evilsmile:(y)

9. Steve-E-D

Wagon Garage:
    Having an old oven in the garage would be nice for some smaller powdercoat jobs, too.

10. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You guys got it all wrong. You only have to wait for the wife to go to work and the kitchen is all yours.............:evilsmile:

And if she comes home and something smells bad you can ask her when was the last time she cleaned the oven? Was it before or after she made that meatloaf last week:thumbs2:

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  11. Steve-E-D

Wagon Garage:
    Hell hath no fury......
    You'd be a braver man than I to even consider pulling a stunt like that, let alone asking that question. :bowdown::rofl2::rofl2:

12. Safari57

Wagon Garage:
    I can show you the bruises:evilsmile:

But as far as I see it, when she's not here anything in the kitchen is fair game. If I can hide the fact that I used it for a purpose not listed in the Sear's how to use your new appliance manual it is just that I'm trying to be creative and save us money, honey, by doing this myself while I'm at home all day, alone with an old whiney cat, and you wouldn't want me out using "someone" else's kitchen appliances now would you?:rofl2::162:

13. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Well.....although my honey is great for letting me store some misc car/truck items around the house....rear view mirror in dinning room for about a year now, looks good in the china cabnet, broke my back and ended up with a brand new winshield for my Cougar SHE put the glass in the bedroom to keep it safe. Our, well her PC room/office has a nice assortment of car emblems here and there on display...and some hotwheels of course.:evilsmile:

I tend to stay clear of the kitchen, living, and dining room for projects.......10ish years ago I freshend up the faded cloth interiour of my last Fox wagon, I re-dyed it red (looked awesome for 10 years). Well, I mixed the dye in the kitchen sink:stirthepot:, so whats the problem? The kitchen sink is porcelain and after some small spllage.....

OOoooOooooOoooowwwww, talk about REDRUM!:badwords::rant2:(her) :Blasting_anim::hide:(me)

I got it white again.....in hind site it mite have been cheaper to buy a new stainless sink:biglaugh:

Now that I think back, thats the only time she has ever got really un-glued at me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  14. Safari57

Wagon Garage:
    My goodness Tedy, sounds to me like you are lucky to be alive after that incident:D

I can sneak stuff into the house and into a storage room and it goes unnoticed for maybe a day or two. I'm sure "she" goes from room to room when she gets home in the evenings to see what I've been up to :evilsmile:

So far I've not been caught doing stuff in the kitchen. I wash my plastic parts in the dishwasher during the day and she thinks I'm wonderful for doing the dishes. I was my coveralls and rags too during the day and she is so happy that I did the laundry. Of course I had to run something through the washer to get rid of that oil/gas smell so may as well do the laundry, add some extra soap and some of those smelly things you put in with the clothes in the dryer and she never knows, or at least never says anything.

15. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

I must be lucky my wife helped wash greasy engine parts in the bath tub,kitchen sink and we reassembled the engine in her kitchen.