Restoration/Paint Shop

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by snooterbuckets, Feb 7, 2022.

1. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I think I may be willing to finally pull the trigger and give my 87 CP a face lift with a brand new paint job. Though I know a lot of folks are into the patina look, I am not one of them. The roof is almost down to bare metal in some spots and the sheen of the rest of the car is long gone. I am planning on doing the original factory color.
    My problem is I have no idea who to take it to. Can any of you recommend a place in New Jersey? I'm very concerned they do a nice job as I'm sure we've all seen some lousy ones! Thanks for any advice.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Good on you that you're doing that. I hope to do mine either later this year or next year, if I can stop spending my money, plus get the Di-Noc done. One of my friends has a Di-Noc source, I'll have to get it from him so I can post it up.

3. snooterbuckets

Yikes. I got my first response back from 5 inquiries I posted on line. Some place in Whitehouse. Her email said there's a year long waiting list and paint jobs start at $10K!! That about 3X's more than I thought it might run. Oh well, it's just the first one.
    Silvertwinkiehobo, I am very lucky in that my dinoc's in excellent shape. I've been spraying it with Lemon Pledge about once every month or so as long as I've owned it. (Well, not from mid November until early April when it's stored in my garage with a car cover.) I tend to think that's what's kept it so nice.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Not mine, you can see the weardown spots and the fading, not to mention the junkyard grease pencil markings and minor collision damage. But I'm willing to bet that the $10K paint job is a factory-grade job that isn't just a paint-over. I bet they sand it all down quite well, fix body damage then properly spray it all.

5. snooterbuckets

Yeah, you're probably right but I'm not willing to go for that much, It probably would look factory original, though. I guess you get what you pay for.
    You know what? Take 5 minutes and get some Lemon Pledge and throw it on your wood. It may take more than one application but I'll bet you'll be surprised what it does.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

No thanks. It'd likely burn. But the Di-Noc, it actually has spots on it, along the top creases. I'll get a few pics.

7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Unfortunately the price of a decent paint job has gone up exponentially over the recent years.
    We have a paint booth at our manufacturing facility and it has been incredible to see how much the cost of materials has gone up over the past 15+ years. The other thing that has impacted the cost of painting something has been the environmental regulations. They not only impact the materials that can be used, but also the type of paint booth that can be used and all of the equipment that coincides with the paint booth. Most of the small time shops either couldn't afford to keep up with all of this, or just didn't want to deal with the headache. So, unfortunately there aren't nearly as many shops out there doing this kind of work. The demand for their services is still high, but there aren't nearly as many folks providing that service.
    So the waits are long and the prices are high.

8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Quite a number of years ago, there was a gigantic shift in industrial spray painting, from lacquer-based to water-based. Auto body repair shops (AND manufacturers) were mandated to change over to due stricter rules for VOC's, or Volatile Organic Compounds. Lacquer-based spray painting was horrible for this, water-based not so much. A lot of smaller shops had trouble affording all the new equipment required to go with it, like a spray booth wit a modern filtering system. Back in the 1990's, these booths were costing a minimum of $40k - probable double that now.

9. snooterbuckets

Here's an update. 1 out of the other 4 got back to me. I guess the 3 have more than enough work to keep them busy and not respond to a potential customer. Anyway, I went on vacation to Colorado for a week and have been so busy with other stuff, I haven't been able to bring it by to show the guy. Maybe next week. I'll let you know.

10. snooterbuckets

Overdue update--I went to an arts and crafts festival in down town Cranford today and that one body shop that had originally responded happened to have a booth there. So, I was talking to them and they thought that what I was thinking about would probably run between $5000-$6000. Like everything else in life, that was considerably more than I thought it would be, but I guess it costs what it costs. Problem is I'm not a huge patina fan and the wagon's in desperate need as the paint is definitely shot. It certainly begs the question, "Is it worth it?". The answer to that is clearly no, it's not, but I do love the car and my intent is to keep it, not make money on it, so I'll have to give it serious consideration.

11. OrthmannJ

You want to keep the wagon for a long time. You're not a patina fan. It might be more than you were expecting to pay, but it is what it is right? Seems to me, if you can afford to do it, why not pull the trigger.

markfnc likes this.
  12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Think of it this way...you already have the wagon. You're now getting yourself a righteous paint job to go with that wagon, so you can enjoy both for many years to come.

wagoninsane, markfnc and OrthmannJ like this.
  13. Fletch33

Fletch33 New Member

I just placed my 86 Parisienne Wagon with an independent small garage in the middle of nowhere for a full restore and paint.

It had some but little rust at bottom of front doors only. All wood and trim on sides were removed before I got it and they did a bad black over tan paint on it.

With replacing some metal, taking doors apart to sandblast internals and paint etc.. running me $4,000 plus the aftermarket tires and wheels on it I told him he could have.

Good luck to all

Attached Files:

OrthmannJ and wagoninsane like this.
  14. OrthmannJ

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your wagon Fletch.

15. snooterbuckets

I never did pull the trigger, yet. Between a lack of responses and my convincing myself "it's only original once", I decided to do the responsible thing and keep the bucks in the bank. If I run across the right place at a car show or swap meet, I still may go for it. As for right now, however, I'm following the path of least resistance and keeping the CP the way it is.

fannie likes this.