1988 Custom Cruiser Tailgate is stuck.

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by OldStinky, Oct 25, 2020.

1. OldStinky

OldStinky Member

Wagon Garage:
    Tailgate is stuck in closed position with the window down. Seems like the electric lock is trying to work but the handles are both locked. Electric window is stuck down. Everything was working fine and I closed it with the window down but now I can't close the window or open the tailgate. Any tricks for getting around this problem?

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Is there any way you can access the window? Like is there a panel that you can remove to see what's going on inside?

3. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Sometimes the brushes in the motor go bad or it gets a bad spot on the armature. Have someone hold the "window up" button while banging on the tailgate with the side of your fist in the vicinity of the motor. It often jars it enough to start the window up. This also works for side windows, wipers and electric fuel pumps too.

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My '81 Bonneville Safari had a 'manual' lock knob in the far right corner of the trim panel, just on the other side of the glass. My power actuator was finicky, so I had to use it often. Does yours have one?

5. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Cars don't have right and left sides, only passenger and driver sides. You never know if the guy giving directions is standing behind or in front of what he's describing.

6. OldStinky

OldStinky Member

Wagon Garage:
    It does have a manual lock knob but it is stuck as well. I did manage to get the access panel off and can see inside. All of the rods are connected. I thought maybe one had came loose. I'm trying to see what has it locked but so far no luck. I can't find and info or photos of how this all connects. Strange that the door lock and power window are both affected.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

IIRC, there are physical and electrical interlocks between the window glass and tailgate latches. It sounds like something ended up forced, which bent a rod and that is preventing operation. The electrical interlock for the window can be jumpered, but I warn you that doing so to lower the glass could cause binding in the regulator that can shatter the glass. If you can see and reach well enough, if the glass can be unbolted from the regulator arms, do so and carefully remove the glass, before attempting to move the regulator.

8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    There IS an interlock between the power locks and the window mechanism. While you CAN open the tailgate as a door with the window UP, you should not be able to open it as a traditional tailgate with the window in the 'up' position.

9. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    We discussed the interlock system here:

Tailgate won't drop

Bottom line, there are multiple interlocks in the door that prevent it from operating one way or another depending on the position of the window glass and tailgate mechanism. Sounds like something has become dislodged and needs to be re-adjusted.

10. OldStinky

OldStinky Member

Wagon Garage:
    Fixed!!! The lock rod in photo came loose. When I found the problem and tried to reinsert the rod I discovered the retaining clip was mounted backward. Was probably this way from the factory and finally fell out. All working normally now. This is a complicated system.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  11. OldStinky

OldStinky Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for everyone's advice.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

You're quite welcome; that's what we're all here for. I'm just glad it was an error and not a broken part.