1991 Crown Vic airbag module

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by FalconFuturaWagon, Jul 31, 2020.

1. FalconFuturaWagon

FalconFuturaWagon FordFan

Wagon Garage:
    Discovered that the airbag warning light was removed in my "new" 91 Crown Vic. PO sold the car as "everything works". This issue will not allow the car to pass the Virginia auto safety inspection.

When I discovered the problem and called the PO, he admitted he had had an airbag warning light about 2 years ago. His local Ford dealer diagnosed the problem as a code 10...thermal fuse in the control module is blown. The part (FODZ14B056A) is no longer available from Ford. Got an aftermarket part number F1FD14B056AA. I cannot find either part.

I've got a lead on a new Ford part but the business is closed for the weekend. Does anybody have any leads for this? I tried Green Sales Company and every "Obsolete Ford Parts" company I could find...probably checked 25 + places online. I'm checking junk yards but am very leary of buying a used part since Ford seemed to have so much trouble with it.

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Virginia must be pretty strict. That was like reason number 13, it was a tie with reason 14, personal property tax, why I left Missouri. That wagon is probably safer than 87.3% of the cars on the road there.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

There's a couple box Panthers that are not wrecked at a local u-pull-it yard, but, like you said, you can't trust used. Leadslead and I sourced some airbags, a crash module and crash sensor for his '99 Crown Vic, but it gives a code 36, 'passenger bag low resistance' code. So, yeah, it's likely gonna be a hassle getting the system to work. Try individuals parting a car that's not wrecked, but mechanically broken down, you might have better luck. Of course, the fuse HAD to be permanently installed in the module....

4. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    According to the numbers I am looking at it looks like they used the same module across quite a few cars (Mustang, Taurus/Sable, Tempo/Topaz, Continental) so at least you aren't limited to just CV's and GM's. I've never heard of this issue. I wouldn't have any issue with a good used part.

5. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    You're right...Virginia is a PITA right now. I'm going to check and see if there is any wiggle room or appeal process available. If I switch to antique vehicle plates, I do not have to have the state safety inspection. BUT...with antique plates, the car is only to be driven to shows, parades and to get maintenance/service performed and you are not supposed to take it more than 250 miles from home. Sometimes the police enforce the rules and sometimes not but if I can't get the airbag and brake working properly, that may be the only choice I have.

6. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
  7. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    I checked into a used module off a 91 Mustang on eBay. It had a different part number and the seller said it wouldn't work for the Crown Vic...not sure if he knew what he was talking about to not.

I started a junk yard search last night and was contacted by a yard in NY. They have a 90 Lincoln. I saw pictures of the car and don't have a clue why it was in a junk yard...it looked like you could drive it away. They want $125 for the module.

Right now, I holding off until Monday morning when I can call the place in TX that says they have a new part. If they have it, I'll go with that one unless the $ are crazy. If I don't get that one, I'll be checking with the airbag center and the NY guy to buy one of their parts.

I've been pretty inactive on this forum. Most of my time has been spent on a Falcon forum that has recently crashed and is dead. Great folks on that group. I'm equally impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness of folks on this board. One of these days, I hope to have enough knowledge to answer some questions instead of asking them here.

Thanks guys.

8. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    There are a bunch of air bag modules listed on car-part.com. https://www.car-part.com/ I can't hotlink to the search results. Also, I think F1FD14B056AA is supposed to be F1DF14B056AA.

Whatever you do you will need to find out why the fuse in your module blew in the first place otherwise you could have two air bag control modules with blown fuses. The overall system isn't terribly complicated. I believe there are five sensors. Could just be a short in one of the wires going to one of the sensors.

I've also seen this part number: FOOF14B056AA

60Mercman likes this.
  9. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    Kevin

You're right. I transposed the letters in the aftermarket part. When I searched that number tonight, I can see that I followed several links on that number yesterday.

Appreciate the reminder to check what blew the first module out before putting in a new one. Ford must have a test procedure for that sensors. When I find that problem, I just hope I can still buy the sensors for the wagon. We'll see about that when the time comes.

60Mercman likes this.
  10. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    Long, frustrating day. The NOS part is not available...website was not correct. The airbag center says they do not have any parts for 1991 Crown Vics.

I checked for sensors in case one of them is bad (I know the sensors could all be fine and there might be a short in the wiring that caused the original problem). I found some Ford dealer websites that show part numbers and I found those parts NOS on ebay. The ebay compatibility check says those sensors are not compatible with the 1991 CV. Need to do more research on part numbers.

Checked with VA State Police and they say no exceptions to having working airbags to pass state inspection. I cannot find any reference to airbags being required on state inspections. State police blame NHSTA.

NHSTA says no exceptions except for medical reasons...I'm too old be get pregnant so I can't pursue that route.

Checked with Ford garage about diagnosing the problem to see what blew the module. They say cannot check without a working module in place. They also will not install any used parts in safety systems.

If I'm going to solve this problem, looks I'll have to do it myself. Need to order the shop manual and see if I can figure it out. I don't want to mess something up and blow the bag.

I've still got some leads on used parts but haven't followed up on them yet.

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I'm prepping to fly to Washington State tomorrow, so my laptop's packed, but after I get there, I'll hop online, get you info from some sources to help you with diagnosis. I'm wondering, however, if the thermal fuse is associated with the emergency power supply for the SRS, so the short is only internal to the module?

12. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    Search on car-part.com There are about 15 air bag control modules listed relatively local to me for $25-$50

13. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    I'll check car-part.com out tonight. I've found a couple of yards that post pictures of the cars they are pulling the parts from. Makes it easier to pick parts. A couple places I've talked to said I need the actual numbers off the control module (more than the Ford part number) to assure they send me the correct part.

I've got an appointment to get the car inspected Monday at a shop that knows about the problem but will pass it since they know the part is hard to get. I'll take it back after it's fixed it they want. I'll try to pull the module after the inspection and then get serious about shopping for parts.

I ordered a 1991 Shop Manual today...maybe I won't have to ask so many questions.

14. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    Just checked car-part.com. I was on there last night looking around closer to me. I'll be following up early next week.

60Mercman likes this.
  15. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    By the way, if you're handy with a soldering iron you can replace the thermal fuse. It's a little surface mount piece that looks like a resistor. It involves getting it out of the dash and disassembling it though.