Disc brake conversion

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Grizz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

:drink::dizzy:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ModelT1 and Grizz like this.
  2. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    40DD9178-D824-4105-9FB6-509BC68F7B86.jpeg Still wrestling this thing. I have a question.... redoing the rear drums now. I CANNOT get the shoes to come together at the top. Wheel cylinders match the old ones in size and I’m suspecting the push pins or links (I’m finding two different names in my search) closest I can come up with is part # 18060001. But I’m not seeing anything that specifically names a 67 c30. Thoughts, feelings, insults? I CANNOT conduct these internet searches very well, I’m doing it from my phone with all the domestic disturbances at home. I have very little patience and as soon as a page doesn’t load, a child starts screaming or I experience some other technical difficulties I throw my phone into the couch cushions in frustration. Any help on what I need or am missing would be awesome. Oh yeah, I would use the old ones but there weren’t any:nailbiting:

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I find that two things cause that. One is the cups are stuck in the bore from sitting up so long, and so I carefully push each in to release them, and two, fluid in them prevents their full seating, so if you crack the bleeder open, then push the shoes in, that should get them to seat.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

I was thinking the same with cracking open the bleeder screw, I've had to do it a few times over the years especially with the four drum setup on my 71 Demon.

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I've used these for years. Sometimes a big screwdriver and *%#@ words help too!

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Grizz...... I finally made it back on here. About all I have to add would be insults. But at this time, I don't even have any good ones to add! Good luck.:hmmm:
    As for this---------
    "Grizz said:

...Maybe I should start a thread and call it excuses For not working on my wagon..."

It's still cold out. Actually it's now 53 degrees.
    My little garage is too crowded.
    I no longer have any tools.
    I'm old, tired, and lazy.
    I can't even find someone to pay good money to replace the missing engine parts, get the 305 running, and clean up the wagon body.
    And at this time, I don't want some whipper snapper breathing on me!--- Unless she's female, under 55, looks like Dolly Pardon, and she's a good mechanic. (Mechanical ability optional)
    More excuses to follow!:bigsmile:

Attached Files:

Grizz and Doghead like this.
  7. Doghead

You could still get Dolly Pardon impersonaters who'll do stuff for free. The cheapest ones aren't female and demand using your tool. Trouble is, Sir, you're admitting to yours having took off somewhere :eek:

ModelT1 likes this.
  8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I only mentioned " I no longer have any tools. " As for impersonators, back in her day, my wife was often called Dolly Parton, for reaons I forgot. We met the real teenaged Dolly Parton, and I get all creepy and scared just thinking about females of the opposite sex trying to impersonate females of the femanan sex.:slap:
    Sadly I have dozens of other reasons I don't work on my wagon. The way it looks, car shows have been canceled anyway. At this very time, I believe one of our favorite events is the Spring Daytona speedway car show and swap meet. Most likely cancelled or cut way back.

Attached Files:

Doghead likes this.
  9. Doghead

Uncle Joe doesen't get scared. The rest points him out as a dead ringer, though

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Did you know that Dolly Parton lost to a male impersonator one time?:1st:

Doghead likes this.
  11. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    So the cylinders are brand new and have never had fluid. I can push one side in to where It needs to sit but it just pushes the other side further out. I snuck out there today while the kids were mucking around in the yard and loosened the valve to no avail. The fact that y’all seem to think it’s something other than the pins both worries and comforts me. On the one hand it could be operator error and on the other it could be some obsolete shorter pin?

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Check to make sure the slides on the sides of the shoes and the pads on the backing plate don't have any problems. If they interfere, try to polish them and apply some anti-seize.

13. Doghead

It seems to me that the replacement cylinders belong to a different vehicle. I'm measure the distance between the piston ends of the cylinders that were on there, using a caliper, against the distance between the ends of the new cylinders

14. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Question Grizz considering where the pivot points are, do you by any chance have the adjuster turned all the way in? I'd take a measurement of the drum inside diameter and the shoes just to see if you may need to turn the adjuster out in order to get the tops to seat.

Of course on the other hand a visit to a bench grinder to shorten both pins a little may also be needed.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Grizz likes this.
  15. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Now you may be on to something with the adjuster. The old one was seized so I grabbed one from a bag of brake hardware. Besides being noticeably smaller in diameter it very well could be shorter in length. The raybestos wheel cylinders were the same size as the old ones THAT I did check believe it or not.