Is This a Good Deal??

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Rcksblr, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Rcksblr

Rcksblr New Member

Hey guys - I have been casually browsing for a Ford Country Squire for a while. Don't really need it, but I always loved the idea of having one. This one came up locally for sale and was curious what you all thought? Is this priced right? I am seeing it later this week, so don't have eye on it yet besides the pics. Below is a link

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2271831649583908/

2. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    I think it's fairly priced. The tailgate will probably be hard to source, and you may need fabrication skills to repair what's there. It all depends on what you are looking for in a vehicle and how much work, and money, you are will to put into it.

The 390 with factory AC is a strong plus, IMO.

Rcksblr likes this.
  3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I agree with HRR......

Although I don't think sourcing a used tail gate will be all that difficult..... The key is to find a good SOLID one. Get one from the southwest area - California, Arizona, Nevada, etc.

Rcksblr likes this.
  4. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Rcksblr likes this.
  5. Rcksblr

Rcksblr New Member

Thanks everyone! I know I would be getting a fixer upper. No biggy there. After speaking with the current owner its only had 2 owners and was originally from the area I am in. Seems to be all factory and original. Has rust on the usual spots (rear quarter panels/tailgate. Finding these older cars untouched for the most part is getting harder to come by so it's tempting for sure. I found out the back area does not have the two seats facing each other, just the cargo area, which is not what I would want unfortunately. Does anyone know if that is that a big deal to swap out? Thanks again for the help.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

This could be a good project, but just bear in mind, mechanical parts are harder to come by, and with point-condenser ignition and carburetion, maintenance is more frequent (10K miles for replacing the points alone).

7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Or you could just swap over to an electronic ignition.

I think it's a solid looking car, from what I can see in the pictures. As HRR said, the 390/AC factory combo makes this particular car more desirable. I love this generation of FoMoCo cars, so I would lean towards getting it just because I am biased.
    I'm curious, what would be your plans for the car if yo do end up purchasing it?

8. Rcksblr

Rcksblr New Member

Good points. I would swap to Fuel Injection and Electronic Ignition

Doghead likes this.
  9. Rcksblr

Rcksblr New Member

Not sure exactly. I've built a few muscle cars and always liked the idea of a wagon that is built but also have room for the family. My wife and I have a 2 little kidos so having a muscle car that we could all go cruise in and have plenty of room would be awesome. I have not come across any Country Squires that are a retro-mod but something like would be the idea I suppose. A man can dream right?! :)

10. Rcksblr

Rcksblr New Member

Resto-Mod**

11. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    It's NOT a bolt-in replacement. From what I understand, you have to source all of the inside mounting structure for the dual-facing rear seats, in addition to the seats themselves, and some of that structure is spot-welded to the floor pan.

Rcksblr likes this.
  12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I would say if you are set on having seats in the "way back" it's probably going to be cheaper/easier in the long run to find a car that already has them.
    But if it's not a deal breaker than I still think this car has potential, especially if you are looking at a resto mod.

13. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Make sure you check the frame. I believe this generation of full size Ford had frame rot issues.