1973 Ford- Radio Flyer Wagon Promotion Info

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by gpd294, Jul 5, 2009.

1. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Hey Guys well my brother has been a little slow draggin' his feet getting the wooden wagon body back to me and to be honest I haven't sanded down the metal parts either, but I have broken the wagon down and have gotten the wooden slats painted. Most Radio Flyer wagons I have seen have Red slats, but I distinctly remember the slats on our wagon being green, so green they shall be. Maybe this weekend I will pull out the sand paper to scuff up everything and get all the metal parts painted as well. I also ordered a new set of hub caps, which are the red wheel fasteners as a couple of them broke when I removed them.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Have you ever done powder coating? The metal parts would last forever. My wagon had clear varnished wood, but that green looks 'right'.:thumbs2:

3. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

I thought about that Norm, but for what it's gonna be used for I figured the cost of powder coating wasn't justified. I figure it won't be in the elements and will be stored indoors and basically just used as a car show prop from time to time. I'll post more photos when I'm done.

4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I'm gonna have to try doing it in the oven, one of these days. For sure, more pics later!

5. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

I'm sure "Momma Norm" is really gonna like that! :naughty: reminds me of the ol' saying "If Momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy!" :lolup:

Good luck none the less, maybe you can throw in some cookies while your at it as a distraction. :)

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    We're putting up a 450 CFM stove vent 36" wide. The old Shopvac would die of a heart attack if it could pull out that much air! Actually, we're thinking of putting grab bars for when we turn it on!:evilsmile:

I think if my wife sees it, she might start doing more of it. She likes crafts. (y)

7. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

A few years back, Ford apparently did a similar promotion, giving a bicycle away with a Ford Focus. A friend was a mechanic at a Ford dealership at the time. Ford was dealing with several recalls at the time and dealing with some manufacturer defects. In fact, at that time, my friend was tasked with one job only in the service department at dealership where he worked in Virginia. That was replacing the engines in Ford Expeditions.
    The Focus was one of the cars they saw alot in the sevice department for recalls and/or defects. So, it became a big joke when the bicycle was recalled. He would laugh and say, "those cars are so bad that even the bicycle they gave away with the car was recalled".
    No offense intended to anyone here with a Focus. My niece bought a new Focus wagon a few years ago and its been a trouble free car for her. If you have an older Expedition and have a persistant oil leak, then I'm sorry, you missed your chance to get a new replacement engine.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  8. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Well I'm on the back stretch now. I mocked everything back up yesterday and took a couple pics. Tonight, I broke her back down and sanded down the wooden body and filled in the imperfections (brad nail holes) with wood putty and gave her her first coat of polyurethane clear. I also sprayed the rail holders with the hammered finish silver paint and also gave them a coat of lacquer clear. Hopefully tomorrow evening I'll give the under side a couple coats of clear and re-assemble her this coming weekend. I also picked up some shiney new hardware from HomeDepot to get her looking new again. What do yall think?

PS: I guess I have to claim this lil monster! :whew: This IS my son! Also I went back and added the before and after shots all in one link. Hope yall like it.

:dancingparty:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLa...mail-_-site_share-_-core-_-view_photos_button

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    You did a nice job on both of them! (y)

I found out last week that I can get a John Deere wagon like that for only $159. The Radio Flyer versions come with or without side boards or a plastic seat, and only run for between $199 to $299.

I wish I could recall how much my dad paid for mine in 1954. He worked as a shipping manager for GM Auto Shippers, earning a whopping huge middle-management salary of $110 per week, back then. Betcha they were like $15.00 or less. Meant the world to me. My own first wagon. :rofl2:

But dad was right. It's the thought that counts. After all, I still remember it, 54 years later. :bowdown:

10. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

As promised she is done. Actually the only addition may be either an engraving or plaque of some sort describing the wagon promotion. Either engraved into a wooden slat "FORD - Radio Flyer Wagon - 1973" or the "McAnary FORD" car emblem insignia. I still haven't decided. I never received any literature about this promotion, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. Thanks for all the kudos guys! :cheers:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=229603737308:827584321

From start to finish. :banana:

11. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Beautiful job. I'm thinking since you took the stakes off and restored them separately that technically, you could probably classify this as a real "frame off" restoration; calling it a "rotisserie" resto may be stretching it a bit, but I'll give you the "frame off"!!

12. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

:yahoo: Actually I did have to turn the "body" over for sanding and applying the clear. Doesn't that count???

13. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: Well said!

Got me drooling to recall it was the little wagon. :rofl2:

14. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

No Luck!

Well after an extensive Internet search for any literature or additional information on this promotion I decided to send a letter to FORD.

Unfortunately they don't have any literature on this promotion, but this is what they sent me back:

"Dear Carlos,

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us.

In regards to your inquiry on the free wagon promotion; this would have been a promotion specific to your area's Ford dealership while supplies last. As this was a dealership promotion, we do not have any literature available in this department. The participating dealer in your area would be the best source of information for that promotion in your region.

The next time you are in the market for a new Ford or Lincoln vehicle, we encourage you to contact our Marketing department at 1-800-334-4375. We are here Monday – Friday, 9 A.M. – 6 P.M. EST to assist you. When you call we will can send you a brochure, provide you with the current incentives that are available and schedule a demonstration drive for you at a time and Ford dealership of your choice.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
    Gary
    Ford Motor Company
    Ford Marketing Program Headquarters"

I would still love any literature or stories about this promotion if anyone has any. :confused: McAnary FORD closed in 1985 I believe so I can't contact them now.

15. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Carlos, you might want to talk to your local newspaper to see if they have any advertising on it saved. Back during this period, most newspapers saved stuff on microfilm.