1967 country squire electrical

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Squire67, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Squire67

Squire67 Member

Just got the newly acquired country squire home. Looking over things and noticed a wiring issue. It is on the drivers side of the engine. There is a plug that has 4 wires connected together (appears to be factory) and mates together near the rear of the engine above valve cover. I tried to look in wiring book but was unable to locate specific plug or where the 4 wires go or what they are for. Wiring is broken and it appears some is missing on engine side of plug. Any help would be appreciated. Chris

2. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

We could be helpful, as soon as you post at least one photograph

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If you can write down the wire colors and tracers on each, I can look them up.

4. Squire67

Squire67 Member

Ok so I tried to take a photo as best as I could. The 4 wires appear to be
    Red
    Red with white stripe
    White
    Green ? Green I’m not 100% sure

Attached Files:

5. Squire67

Squire67 Member

Attached Files:

6. Doghead

It seems to me that red/white is a battery hot. I'm guessing that that's wiring going to the voltage regulator. I'd go over to it and see what color wires connect to it.
    Can you take a snapshot further away, so we can see more of the engine compartment. That way, we could try tracing the wiring harness

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Okay, when I get home this afternoon, I'll look those up, and I can shoot photos of my diagrams and send them or post them here.

8. Squire67

Squire67 Member

So I dug in further on this suspicious connector. There are what looks to be 4 wires coming out of this connector. Two of the wires go to temp sender... a red with white stripe for hot light and a white with green stripe for cold light
    The other wire goes to the oil pressure sender switch appears to be a white with red stripe. The 4th wire is cut and laying next to valve cover. I have no idea where this might go other than to a terminal on coil??? It is a red wire with what appears to be yellow stripe?? Not sure because it’s faded. The other side of the plug feeds into what appears dash harness which I assume connect to temp idiot lights and oil pressure lights. Not sure where the other wires would lead in car. Shop manual has some wiring schematics but this one apparently is not shown in routing. I don’t have a parts book or wiring book to get to the bottom of this. Any help on the remaining piece of the wiring puzzle would be appreciated.

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Okay, all these are the Chilton 1967 Fairlane diagrams. Pay attention to the wire numbers, as they correspond to the key at the top of each page, of wiring colors. It appears that the red/yellow is a common wire for the lamps, to feed power to them, and the senders control the lamp on/off.
    IMG_20191223_161853.jpg IMG_20191223_161847.jpg IMG_20191223_161827.jpg IMG_20191223_161821.jpg IMG_20191223_161741_1.jpg IMG_20191217_130000.jpg IMG_20191217_125946.jpg

Attached Files:

jessica1987ann likes this.
  10. Doghead

In that diagram there is only one 4-pole plug pictured of which only 2 wires for the back-up switch are connected to it. You must mean one of those 6 or more-pole connectors of which only 4 wires are connecting to it?
    If everything else is functioning, this wire might have been by-passed, for some reason

11. Squire67

Squire67 Member

I’m so grateful for the time and effort to scan the wiring diagrams in . However those diagrams are for a fair lane would they be the same as the full size country squire wagon that was similar to the Galaxie platform? Im certainly no wiring expert by any means but I did trace and validate 3 of the four wires. I’m trying desperately to figure where all this stuff lines up. I just don’t want to connect things where I “think” they go and fry something important. I know wiring can be very difficult to understand and I’m the first to admit it is not my strongest knowledge base.

12. Squire67

Squire67 Member

The “cold” light on the dash does not light up indicating that this could be the problem with the cut or severed wires. I also do not get a oil light either. The hot light does illuminate when the key is turned to the start position and this is correct as indicated from the shop manual. I do not have dome lights or dash lights that illuminate in the wagon so I’m not sure if this is a fuse or is related to the wires I’m questioning. I will pull the plug apart an photograph it and the cut wire in question to try and assist some help here. I just want to thank everyone for trying to solve this issue.

13. Doghead

There should be a red wire with a yellow stripe hooked up to one of those functions behind the dash. I doubt that any wire from that plug would hook up to a dome light, since the domelight is fed by a direct battery connection. Its bulb or corrosion at a bulb end might be causing the lamp not to function

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

Yes, Fairlane was the base platform; the Galaxie was the step up from it, but even if not, Ford's wiring numbers and color codes for each year were standardized. So they'll work for your wagon.

15. Squire67

Squire67 Member

I will print the images and I will begin to follow the wire codes and colors. I will let you know what I find. I am so appreciative to have these images as a baseline and a reference. Great people here.