Mouldering Station Wagons

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by jaunty75, Nov 9, 2019.

1. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

We were at the annual Veteran's Day car show in Truth or Consequences (NM) today, and we passed by an auto salvage yard with some interesting old iron behind the fence. Being a Saturday, the place was closed and locked up, so I took photos through the fence.

The back end of what looks like an '80s-era Chevy full-size wagon next to what looks like a very restorable '73 Olds Cutlass.

DSCN9788 - cropped 2.JPG

Several wagons in this scene.

DSCN9792 (Large).jpeg

A pair of Mopars here. On the right, a '74 Dodge (Monaco?). Next to it is a '69 Plymouth wagon.

DSCN9792 - cropped 1.JPG

Here's '70 Pontiac Catalina wagon with another unidentified wagon behind it. Can anyone tell what that one is?

DSCN9796 - cropped.JPG

Finally, there was this '74 Ford woody that has had some serious surgery done to it. It looks like the roof was cut off starting about half-way along the rear doors all the way to the rear end. Is someone trying to make a Ranchero out of it?

There's another unidentified wagon behind this one as well.

DSCN9794 - cropped.JPG

As far as the actual car show itself, there were the usual array of Tri-Five Chevy wagons. There was also this unusual 1972 Volvo P1800 es wagon. I've never seen one of these before. It was for sale, but no price was listed, and the owner wasn't around to ask.

DSCN9714.JPG
    DSCN9715.JPG
    DSCN9718.JPG

101Volts, Grizz and 60Mercman like this.
  2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That first wagon I would guess is an ‘83-‘85 Colony Park. No center brake light-pre ‘86. I think the wagon behind that ‘73 Squire is another Squire of that vintage. Sadly, seeing what I’ve seen at some of the yards in our state. That roof could have been sliced off as a torch way to get the luggage rack. As we’ve discussed on this forum. It’s appalling what people will do to a car to retrieve a part. Love that big ‘69 Dodge wagon behind that ‘70 Pontiac. That would be a nice project, as well as the Pontiac. It looks pretty complete. I had several friends that drove down from Albuququerque to attend that show. Was a good turnout? That show does a lot of good for those Vets. In looking closer at the “chopped” ‘73 Squire. That is really a travesty. Has deluxe bumper group, power windows with mini vents, and what looks to be the high back seats of a “Brougham” optioned wagon. Sad.

Grizz likes this.
  3. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

That doesen't even look like a salvage yard, judging from how all other cars besides that Ranchsquiro still look intact. It might just be some Car Messie's property.
    It could be that the roof was a donor organ for a Squire of which was suffering typical desert roof cancer. Unlikely, maybe. But, still possible

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Roof cancer, or dented in. That's usually why someone cuts a roof off, to donate to a damaged car that is in better shape overall.

5. Doghead

In the process, the undamaged car ends up damaged

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

You nailed it. It's an '84 Colony Park. Same taillight arrangement, including the backup lights in the lowest of the three horizontal bars.

DSCN9788 - cropped 3.JPG

Merccury_Colony_Park_1984_rear.jpg

Yes, there's always a good turnout. I saw one car with registration number 190, and I would have guessed there was about 150 to 200 cars there. I have brought one of my cars in past years but we didn't this year. Just dropped in for about an hour.

Here's a few of what I like to call "milieu" shots. Just to get an idea of what the show was like. It was a beautiful day (you can count on those in early November in southern New Mexico) with temperature about 65 degrees.

DSCN9698 (Large).jpeg
    DSCN9699 (Large).jpeg
    DSCN9766 (Large).jpeg
    DSCN9771 (Large).jpeg
    DSCN9700 (Large).jpeg

7. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

It is definitely a business. Here's the sign out front.

DSCN9790 (Large).jpeg

But you're right. It's not really a junkyard as much as it is a repair shop that happens to have some old cars scattered around the property.

8. Doghead

Well, at least he looks like he's only selling the cars intact, except for that one. He might have even bought it that way :huh:

9. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Those cars have been there for some time and every time I've been there, there isn't anyone to be had. The unidentified wagon in T or C is a 70 T&C. I walked the fenceline once. There used to be more cars there, it looks like he's thinning out over the years.

Oh man, years ago, there used to be yard full of about 3-400 cars right off the exit 71 just south of there - everything about 1955-75, and then about 2001 or so, they came in and crushed everything. I got a chance to walk around and there was some neat stuff in there. I remember seeing a Mexican (?) market 72 LTD and I think it was a 6 cyl. I just passed through there Saturday morning on my way to Cruces and you wouldn't even know there was so many cars there at one time.

10. Doghead

One personal freedom I'm willing to give up is the right to do such things, as well as participating in and conducting demolition derbies of classic cars. These people are erasing American heritage.
    Here in Europe, they at least have laws protecting historical buildings and other sites. Instead, lawmakers seem to be copying only what's bad about Europe:

[​IMG]

11. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

No politics here Hanswurst...just that the owner of them cashed in an crushed for $$$. Please - I come here to escape the political diatribe everywhere.

12. Doghead

Still, those who do such things have no soul. They are even less than primitive life forms