Motor mounts on a 70's Ford Car

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Rattrap Productions, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Rattrap Productions

Rattrap Productions Member

Wagon Garage:
    I need some help. I have a 1971 Country Squire with a 400M married to a C6. Trying to get the motor jacked up a few inches to access the oil pan. Took out the 'through bolt' that ties the two motor mount pieces together, removed starter and took out the 'rear engine mount' which is really the mount for the tranny tailshaft. Jacked it up and the motor is stuck. So, I took off the 4 bolts holding the motor mounts to the motor itself and tried to jack it up. Still nothing. The only thing I have left is the 4 bolts holding the mounts onto the crossmember. Am I missing something? According to the manual, the motor should lift off the mounts but nothing. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

First off, whenever I lift an engine/trans in this manner, I remove both mount through bolts and only loosen the nut or nuts holding the trans mount and lift up levelled, because attempting to lift it sideways can either prevent it from lifting, or jamming after it clears the undone mount. In case you don't have it, here's the 335-series mount diagram:

IMG_20191106_211007.jpg

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

And BTW, welcome to the site, and thank you for the videos.

Rattrap Productions likes this.
  4. Rattrap Productions

Rattrap Productions Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the info. I should put the bolts that mount the tailshaft back in but loose. The motor just doesn’t want to come off the mounts at all. According to your diagram, I actually removed the two bolts on each side that connect the block to the insulator. The motor should lift off shouldn’t it?

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

If you remove the through bots that tie the mounts to the pedestals, then yes, it should lift straight up. But, if you only remove one, it can jam as you attempt to roll it; it's the opposite mount holding it up. Even if you remove that other through bolt, it may not roll, or it may jam in the up position.