Seat belts?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by MAK, Oct 9, 2019.

1. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have now had 2 "potential" buyers of my car ask if the second row had shoulder belts, which it doesn't.
    Mercury only added second row shoulder seatbelts to the Colony Park for 90 & 91, the last 2 years for the marque.
    I didn't think it would be that hard or expensive to have them added, but honestly have no idea what is exactly involved. I can find OEM replacements' for the front driver & passenger in the correct color, could these be mounted to the second row? Anyone have knowledge on how to mount them? I assume that the that hard part would be the attachment to the body.
    found these
    1979-1989 Ford Crown Victoria, Driver or Passenger, Bench Seat Belt

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30...oria-driver-or-passenger-bench-seat-belt.html

Seatbeltplanet.com's™ 1979-1989 Ford Crown Victoria, Driver or Passenger, Bench Seat Belt. 3 Point Retractable Lap & Shoulder Seat Belt Kit with All Metal Push Button Buckle. Retractable 3 Point Lap & Shoulder Belt. All Metal Push Button Buckle. Driver or Passenger Seating Position

Hardware Included Item #501119-V02

Price:$153.9

*Select Webbing Color – Red Wine

2. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Did they have a reason for wanting the shoulder belts?? Like for a child seat or something? Legally your just supposed to be wearing what originally comes with the car right? This may be a sign that you should keeeeeeep iiiiit!

MAK likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That kit is for adding the 3-points to your car (there had once been a voluntary recall, possibly since rescinded), and it should have instructions of installation. This would be an item you'd want to put in the 'pro' column for your CP if you install a set. But yeah, as long as the car meets the motor vehicle safety standards in force when it was built, you're good to go in selling it. So, head to www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov, and look up if that recall is still in effect or not. If it is, then installing the belt kit will put you in a better position when selling it.

4. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    thanks, everyone that has looked or inquired about the wagon would be buying it as novelty, and Grizz the 2 that asked about the belts have kids under the age of 10. Both grew up with parents that had a Colony Park, and wanted their kids to have the experience. Gee when my kids were that age I was working my ass off trying to just get the mortgage paid and keep the lights on,

Grizz likes this.
  5. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I also got mine for the kids. Not for nostalgia but mostly because I wasn’t about to get a mini van. Funny, kids are Also the reason I parked it. Kids are inherently destructive, messy, all around gross and have no business being in a car desired for preservation. My wife did question the capabilities of lap belts from 1987 but I comforted her with the simple fact that, god forbid there were to be an accident, the mass of metal that is a colony park would surely thrash unscathed the majority of modern plastic trash that is on the roads today. I didn’t mention however, the child projectile effect that might take place:huh:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  6. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

It's questionable as to if factory anchoring in the C-post are present. If not, he'll have to have the threaded anchoring welded in.
    It all depends on how your creativity:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Grizz and MAK like this.
  7. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I’m all about some baby cages!

8. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It’s interesting when I sold a ‘77 Marquis wagon it’s amazing how many calls I had where they asked about rear shoulder belts. One person was almost ballistic that they weren’t available, as well as my lack of sensitivity in how they could be installed. I suggested he look at a Dodge Caravan. Like Grizz I mentioned that there were rear seatbelts and that ‘77 had a fair amount of metal wrapped around it.

Grizz likes this.
  9. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Then you should have a long talk with your wife about plans to fill some of those cages, since the two you've got already aren't babies anymore. :hungry: