wagon reccomendations

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by codyadams81, Sep 29, 2019.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I can echo the sentiment regarding the German cars. I have never owned one, but my in-laws have owned almost a dozen Mercedes. (Bear in mind These have all been purchased new, or relatively new over the last 15 years, so I don't have any experience with cars older than that.) They have all been nice cars and well maintained by the dealership, but after they hit a certain number of miles, the breakdowns and repairs start to ramp up quickly and the cost to repair them is astronomical. Oh, and the value of these vehicles falls off a cliff once they leave the dealer lot. They're cheap, and are fancy, but I wouldn't choose to own one personally. That's my :2cents:

2. OrthmannJ

Thanks, I must have missed that.

3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have an ‘87 Volvo 740 GLE wagon. Love the square look, love the 5 speed with the overdrive button. That 4 cylinder is a real dead nuts dependable engine. They’ve used it since the ‘50’s. Just make sure the timing chain is new or has had service. Apparently when it goes. Yikes. That’s not a recommendation, but those square 740/760 wagons seem ok. That should also be in your price range. Like Orthmann, that’s my 2 cents in the pot.

4. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

$5000 or less early 2000s reliable European car. Got it, I'll keep my eyes open.

5. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Got it. You had mentioned Volvo, also late ‘90’s to early 2000’s. I think those 740/760’s were made through that time period. I wasn’t suggesting that you needed to settle on an ‘87, or anything of the of the kind. Just mentioned it in passing. My experience, Volvo’s to me seemed to be dependable. I have really enjoyed mine. Good luck with your search.

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  7. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have had / have the following imports
    1987 Volvo GLE740 - Had it for 5 years - outside of routine maint - no repairs
    1997 Audi A6 Avant - same as above
    2004 Audi A6 Avant - had it for 6 years - only repair air bag sensor - cost $980 to replace
    2010 - Mercedes ML350 (SUV not a wagon but same issues) now 9 years old - had extended warranty - but without repairs about $2800 or about $500 a year.

while I think I am fortunate not to have had any serious issues with any of these cars routine maint at a dealership is HIGH, I figure about $1000 to $1800 a year. Its not just wagons it the brand - BMW; Mercedes; Audi; Mini Coper; Jag doesn't matter whose , have had all of them - and the cost is about the same. Replace a transmission on an Audi can run $4,000 plus.
    but hey my 85 Mercury Colony Park is up to $4300 in repairs and maint. - it wins as the most expensive car I owned since my 1970's Alfa Romeos

8. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Didn’t Volvo also call some of those rounded square wagons “Cross Country”? You could get one of those, and have a bunch of old guys think you’ve got a ‘58 Rambler, then you’d really hit it off with the old fart set around here. Love letters to Rambler!

9. codyadams81

codyadams81 New Member

I had a Volvo granted it was a 2005 v50 turbo but the engine blow so lets just say it left a bad taste in my mouth

10. codyadams81

codyadams81 New Member

thoughts on a Subaru wagon?

11. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    They seem extremely dependable.

12. OrthmannJ

Personally I am not a fan of Subaru. But they do make wagons, albeit on the smaller side and they do seem to be quite dependable.

13. bcschief

bcschief Member

Late 80s early 90s are at the bottom of their price curve. Not old enough to be collectable but not new enough for most every day users.

Brian

14. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Generally pretty decent. If someone offers you a great deal on one with bad front ball joints walk away. I hate doing ball joints in those things. For some reason they've never been able to figure out the head gasket issue on the 2.5, but it's not the end of the world. The last one I did I just pulled the engine to make access easier.

15. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Head gaskets can be done in-car, but you need 'special' tools. The secrets to not blowing the head gaskets are that the cooling system needs servicing religiously, and all air must be burped out completely; in addition, new t-stats and rad caps as part of that servicing. Otherwise, Subies are pretty nice cars. I'm overtall, but I can still get in and out without too much groaning.

Grizz likes this.