Value of my Satellite wagon

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by LAwagonguy, Oct 7, 2019.

1. LAwagonguy

LAwagonguy New Member

Hello everyone. First time poster here.

I am putting my 1968 Plymouth Satellite S/W for sale and am trying to price the car. Would appreciate some pointers.

The car has got all original paint and interior. The car is not running now as I had parked it 11 years ago. At the time the car ran and I used it to go surfing at San Onofre state beach every weekend before it was parked.
    It has a 318 engine and 9 passenger seating. IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1918.JPG IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1915.JPG

2. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Get it detailed. It'll probably double the value.

3. LAwagonguy

LAwagonguy New Member

So what would the value be?
    I am trying to get a figure. Thanks.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Why was it parked in the first place? Usually, a vehicle parked may have been able to start and run, maybe move, hopefully stop, but it had something go wrong, and the owner had some reason for parking it and leave it to sit. This, more than anything else, may determine if you can get a price over or under $1000. Sad but true, cars do not like sitting without getting run or driven, and yours has sat for 11 years.

5. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

If you are on Facebook, there is a group for owners and fans of 68-70 Satellite wagons. That would be a good place to start. For a non running wagon, value will be dependent on location and condition. A rust free California wagon may be very desirable across the country, but if its not running, the options for shipping are limited. For that reason it may not be worth much in California where rust free sheet metal is common, but it could be worth thousands more if it were the same condition but located in the north east.
    I recently bought a dismantled, almost completely rust free 67 Belvedere wagon that was originally from California. I am in Virginia and the wagon was in Kansas City. It is a non running wagon and I paid $6000. It was only possible for me to even consider the car because I know a guy who could ship it affordably, and because the seller would allow it to remain in her garage for a few months until it could be picked up. I'm sure I paid more than it was worth, but its nearly impossible to find a solid 66-67 wagon east of Phoenix. I'm sure my wagon would barely sell for $2500 in the south west.

Attached Files:

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The July/August 2019 issue of the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a non-running but restorable 1968 Plymouth Satellite wagon at $1260.

The columns are conditions 6 through 1, with 6 being just a parts car, 5 being non-running but restorable, 4 being runs and drives but needs complete restoration, 3 being "car show" condition, 2 being showroom condition, and 1 being "better than showroom" or "over-restored" or "trailer queen" condition.

Capture.JPG

7. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

To a point, I agree with those figures, and certainly for the 2 door hardtop and conditions 6-2 on the convertible. But, I expect they just didn't have a large enough sample group to really get an accurate picture of the market. First, the $44000 for a 318 Satellite convertible is way high. Most of those have been cloned into Road Runners or GTX's, so that price likely reflects the high dollar over priced GTX clones. Also, there is no way a 4 door sedan is worth more than a wagon in comparable condition. Those wagon prices may even be a bit low for the southwest part of the country where most of the remaining restorable ones are, but I think they are way low for other parts of the country. I would expect a #2 condition 318 wagon to be in the high teens in the east or midwest, if you could find one.