Disc brake conversion

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Grizz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I took the drums off my 67 c30 and boy are we in need of some work. Everything looks crusty. I figure a disc brake conversion is in order if I’m going to replace all this nastiness it might be about the same cost. It’s 8 lugs no booster. Thoughts, feelings, insults? Here’s a pic of the ol girl with her shoes off. First “work” I done in the incomplete garage 768F48AE-57E6-4E28-9334-5EFC576091E9.jpeg

101Volts and ModelT1 like this.
  2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Grizz likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Thank you, Ivy. You just made my night.

Grizz, I'm sure someone's parting out a 1-ton rig somewhere; the question is whether it has factory front discs. It'll take some research to find a seller that's reasonable, but I would see what years would be a direct bolt-on setup. You essentially will need the steering knuckles with caliper brackets, calipers, rotors with bearings, flexhoses with line brackets, all lines to the M/C, M/C and booster, and you may have to reflare or make an adapting flared line for the rear brake line, as well as possibly the brake pedal arm, in case it's different. I'm just shooting in the dark, but are you having trouble finding drums, shoes, wheel cylinders and fresh spring hardware?

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    If rear discs were available for GM trucks, converting over to them also would save plenty of hassle otherwise needed to join the converted front disc system to the original drum circuit

6. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Waaaaah:grumpy: I thought I could just buy some sort of kit. (I’ve never done this before) You telling me they don’t make them for the trucks?! I got wheel cylinders. I’m sure the shoes are easy to find. I was just trying to be cool:cool:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  7. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Do your own research, but it sounds like 77-80 1 ton trucks front discs are a near bolt on to your truck. You can go with '81+ parts as well but then you will get into metric/standard threads on brake lines. Not insurmountable, but will likely require adapters.

8. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I found I bunch of stuff for c/k 10’s and 20’sbut nothing for a c30. Since I’m getting schooled a bit someone might as well tell me why that is? I think I could go with 73-87 1 ton front end but that sounds like a lot of effort. Especially since I already have wheel cylinders. I guess I’ll just learn to like working on drum brakes:)

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    Probably because there are a ton more C10's and C20's than C30's. All I did was google "67 C30 disc brake conversion" and got quite a few hits. It doesn't sound like you have to swap the entire front suspension and steering over, but like I said, do your own research. The info is out there.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Google is your buddy, but without the two half-racks of beer.

ModelT1 likes this.
  11. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    If the C-10 ist intended only for light duty, I'd replace the rear axle with one from a passenger car having factory disc brakes. Then, if the front calipers which are to fit the C-10's knuckles are of identicle volume to those of which were mounted on the vehicle where the rear axle came from, you could use that master cylinder, plumbing and parking brake arrangement

12. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Eh, like I said I figured I could just call brothers trucks or something similar and just order a kit for my make and model. I’d like to just keep it simple. I’ve already found all the drum components at auto zone.
    Believe it or not, I enjoy reading tangible material, books, magazines but I’m no good at googling. I lose patience and interest in computers fast. Especially since I’m doing it from the phone. Heck, my wife tells me I suck at watching tv!! I can’t do it without folding clothes or doing something else and even then I’m having to ask “what he say?!” Or “who is that again?!”. If I start getting stuff from other makes and models I’ll never remember what’s on there and become even more confused than I already am.

ModelT1 likes this.
  13. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
  14. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    A friend is working on an original 1952 Chevy CAR. It's a 52,000 mile original that's been mostly stored outside in beautiful central Illinois. He did swap the electrical to 12V and added radial tires. He replaced all brake components and it stops just like it did back in 1952.
    I'm sure your '67 Chevy truck will handle just fine, even in those small mountains near you. At least it has big heavy chrome metal bumpers just in case!
    Just check out 'Rock Auto' on line or one of the many discount auto shops.

Grizz and Poison_Ivy like this.
  15. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    You're not getting near my Caddie, without being in the company of your wife :naughty:

[​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.