Panel truck eye candy - Give us some

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by Hanswurst von Plumpskloh, May 10, 2013.

1. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Oh, I forgot to mention converting the '53 over to 12 volts and the braking system over to duals. These make life easier, without removing the vehicle's charachter.
    I basically have something against the Stovebolt six that's in there, however. My prejudice might be unjustified. Chevrolet carried it over way too long. It first appeared in 1927. But, I don't know what it's like, in yours. I've never been in a Chevy Panel yet, unfortunately. There was a 3/4 or maybe 1 ton long body Chevy sitting in a Detroit junkyard for years which was about as old as yours, if not exactly the same production year. I'm almost sure that it had double rear wheels. I don't even know if the yard's still there. The owner would be about 100 years old, by now, anyway. I was only in a Ford and my '56 Dodge of which the latter had a pre-War or during War design flathead six. The '56 Ford had a, for that year, a modern overhead valve six cylinder engine. Both were great to drive around in. I've never driven the Ford. But, was enchanted by it, all the same. My flathead six ran real good and I never had the impression that it was inherently underpowered, because of its induction design

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Toms49Panel

Toms49Panel Member

20180924_133108-1-2-2.jpg
    Toms '49 Chevrolet Panel truck.
    "The Quintessential Classic truck".

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    ModelT1 likes this.
  3. Toms49Panel

Toms49Panel Member

20180924_133108-1-1-1-1.jpg
    Toms '49 Chevrolet Panel truck.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. Toms49Panel

Toms49Panel Member

20180924_133108-1-2.jpg
    Tom's '49 Chevrolet Panel truck.

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. Toms49Panel

Toms49Panel Member

Tom's 1949 Chevy Panel truck sure is sweet "Panel Truck Eye Candy!" Bam! You just got you some. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    ModelT1 likes this.
  6. delux54panel

delux54panel Member

The license plates dont match, is there a prob with the paperwork? is it drivable?
    Whats the mechanical condition?
    Thank you,

7. delux54panel

delux54panel Member

Dammm, thats a nice 49 panel

ModelT1 likes this.
  8. Toms49Panel

Toms49Panel Member

The reason the license plates don't match is because the guy I bought them from didn't have two that matched (1955) - he only had one 55 and one 56, so I just bought them both. Nothing is wrong with the paperwork - it is titled as a 1955 Chevrolet Suburban.

Is it driveable? Are you able to see the pics I have tried to put out there? It's being sold for only $2500 dollars! It can be fixed.

What's the mechanical condition? See the text above. Its being sold for ONLY $2500 dollars. It can be fixed.

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. Toms49Panel

Toms49Panel Member

Yep, that is a nice 49 Panel. How much do u think that's worth?

10. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Panel Truck eye candy in waiting.

As the owner of a 1948 Chevy 1/2 ton panel truck I know that both the '49 panel and '55 Suburban are both in decent shape and well worth the asking price.
    I hope no one is planning on making the Suburban into a 4-dr.
    As for the original six, they are good running high torque engines that get swapped to V-8's just because most people are sheep following other sheep.
    This body style came out in 1947 thru early '55. My 1948 Chevy panel came with a 350 and 350 auto, plus later model Chevy truck rear. It had 4" lites on all four corners and served for years as some sort of a Georgia emergency vehicle.
    I swapped to a Camaro rear because I had one and the bolt pattern matched the MMII front end conversion I installed. Mine was being built as a custom to tow a midsized RV. Old age won and it sits unfinished.
    It is mechanically finished with a home made custom rear roll pan and everything needed to finish assembly. Behind the rear license tag is a heavy duty receiver, hitch, and electrical connector. I have a new chromed grille, front bumper, etc. No rear bumper was planned.
    Original type tail lights (same as '39 Chevy cars) have LED bulbs and a Taurus 3rd brake light is built in above the barn door rear doors. All doors are remote with bearclaw latches. Even the cowl vent is three position remote controled.
    Oddly those rear tail lights were sometimes mounted lower and the stop lite/ license holder may be on both rear barn doors.
    This was the deluxe model with staineless trim around the side and rear windows. The rare fender trim is missing. Even though I customized the panel truck, I kept much of the original look inside and out.
    My son in law has had it in his garage for over 3 years with no hope of my seeing it finished.
    I used to ride to work in the back of a 1948 Chevy panel truck but never drove one. They've been described by other owners "like driving in a culvert!"
    With replacement original type long side mirrors I saw no problem in pulling a 21' to 25' RV but never got that far along.

A narrow band of stainless trim goes around those rear windows.
    Door Fitment 1.jpg Panel Progress 4-06 016.jpg

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  11. Toms49Panel

Toms49Panel Member

Hmmm, a 4 door '55 Chevy Suburban...? That's not a bad idea! It would be custom!

12. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    No! Two doors are plenty. Maybe just make the two doors longer, if getting in back is a problem.

13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I like the idea of a 4 door 55 Chevy Suburban too.

14. Toms49Panel

Toms49Panel Member

Actually, (you're going to love this) I did outline - in chalk so it's not permanent - the thought of just a third door - only on the passenger side - suicide style - kind of like today's version of a mini van. Please! Someone buy this 55 Chevy before I go insane..... :)

ModelT1 likes this.
  15. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I thought the Burbs up to '73 all had three side doors, two passenger and the driver, in addition to the barn doors on the rear. I say this because there's a '69 Jimmy Burb here in town, and is built that way.