Too rich Quadrajet

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by littlealgie7, Aug 21, 2018.

?

Help

1. Carburetor

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Buick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good luck with that. Your asking price is high by about a factor of ten.

2. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    You know what, I am *NOT* making light of your situation when I say this - but damn, have you considered an exorcism?

3. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    This has to be the worst sales pitch ever....sorry about the car man...

4. joe_padavano

Wagon Garage:
    ...Answers to the name of "Lucky"...

5. littlealgie7

littlealgie7 Run out of money to keep everybody happy.

Wagon Garage:
    OH & were am I to start? The values were different back when I bought it. Also no 2 sites on values are the same. My insurance company, Hagerty gives a low value on all 3 of my vehicles. Go to another site that gives classic car & truck values. Hagerty recently lowered the value of my 04 SSR. They went from $17000 down to $12000 over night. I value my purchases. Not some whim. I take care of my vehicles as I would a person. Need attention? Need to have a hug? Spend time with each other? Must be nice to have car pals?? I have asked for help off of Wagon forms. Nothing & like my Dad's Caprice. We have had no luck & finding a mechanic? Have 3 relatives who are so called Mechanical GM experts? Calls not returned & then they resort to violence for? Sorry I bothered you all. I did not need all the negative responses posted & in private messages. No wonder why people take lifes including own. Good Bye cruel site.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  6. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Wait. Whaaaaaaat?! Maybe your misunderstanding some poor attempts at humor? Sometimes things get lost in translation when reading text. Don’t make any rash decisions. I’ll take one if those hugs too. I’m a big hugger as well:cheers2:

7. littlealgie7

Wagon Garage:
    Value my Cars, Trucks & Wagons? Attempts at ending this horrible year with a junk or barn find for some ass. I am the sucker. The Estate wagon has sat out back after the terrifying test drive Thursday. To think I was going to drive it over 100 miles to see Doctor about my medical tests. No way. I will share one point. I have researched & found that like Antique road show. The appraisers down play values on rare items. Especially rare finds or purchase. Reason? Many people use the programs like Auto auctions & Ebay in setting values. But the behind the scene those same appraisers off to buy at appraised value they gave. I was at a Super Chevy show. I remember a 1957 Chevrolet Belair sold on Barrett Jackson auction. The 2 door hard top was two tone blue. Sold for over $250,000. Well some guy at the show had a almost complete copy of said car. Not sure were he got his information from or who did the body work on this Chevy. The body work reminded of being on a ocean tropical storm waves! What I asked. The guy told me that his 57 Chevy was worth same as Chevy sold on Barrett Jackson. Such a strange world. How does a Lone Wolf classic car owner get his car fixed? Apparently this 90 Buick Estate wagon has more problems then the 6 pictures that were posted on Ebay . I give Still waiting for some help to get it running or sell it for my investment of $4500. It will sit & some day I will get around to it. Not today. I opened window to check weather? Too hot & humid.

Attached Files:

8. littlealgie7

Wagon Garage:
    Help again. I thought out side the box of Quadrajet carb. I installed a Holley 4 barrel carb with NO Electrical connections. Buick started right up even with no choke & ran smoothly. I drove it over 50 miles with the 4 wires to ECM disconnected from distributor. Only Brake, MAF ,PCV , exhaust flapper on drivers side exhaust & Cruise getting vacuum. Yesterday I checked the timing. Off a couple degrees. Set to 18 degrees at 1800 rpm. Running great? Shut her down & disconnected the battery. I installed a new dimmer switch. The problems started. The dimmer switch does not dim dash lights? Same as old one? Reconnected battery. No start? WTH? The information I got. Timing light lights, Have fuel, Gas tank is 3/4 full with BP regular gas. No start. The dwell is zero when ignition is on. Then I started to get a ticking sound. It sounded like it was coming from area of distributor. I am stumped. I did find a complete front body for the Wagon for $1000. To be shipped from Las Vegas Nv. Help me Please?

9. joe_padavano

Wagon Garage:
    Go back and get the box.

Your distributor does not have any mechanical or vacuum advance mechanisms. The advance curve is entirely generated by the ECU. The ECU requires the throttle position sensor in the original carb to work properly. Without it, the computer has no idea how to advance the spark. All you are getting is the limp home fixed advance built into the ignition module. None of the other sensors matter, as without the TPS, the computer goes to limp home mode. If you want to run off the computer, you need to change the distributor to a pre-computer HEI with vacuum and mechanical advance. Also, once you disconnected the battery, you erased the computer memory, so now it has defaulted to the factory settings, which are expecting the TPS and ignition signals. You really need to READ the factory service manual that explains how the CCC system works before randomly disconnecting stuff and expecting it to still work.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Goodbye cruel ECU is definitely the best way out. I guess, you could call it "Automotive Excorcism"

11. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    How did you connect the TV cable from the trans to the Holley?

12. littlealgie7

Wagon Garage:
    Joe & Kevin. I went out last evening & found part of the problem. Cheap Fuel hose from Advance Auto Parts collapsed. Not sure who to blame? Me? Hose? I have replaced it with much more sturdy fuel hose that does not kink or collapse. After changing hose. The engine started right up & ran smoothly. I had to go to Walmart to pick up my 5th lawn mower in the 8 years I have owned my Home. JUNK engines on supposed high dollar lawn & garden power. A nice informed man I met at last weekends Cruisin by the Bay in Sandusky Ohio. He told me that Briggs & Stratton engines are JUNK. He had same experience I did with a Toro mower. On my drive to Walmart. I put the 90 Buick wagon to task. Ran ok with no problems except it is a bit rich. So I tried all the accessories & as soon as I engaged cruise control. Instantly the check engine light came on & it was like a anchor was thrown out. Just like it did with the Quadrajet. No wipers or dimmer for interior lights. One thing that has changed? I no longer get electric shock when I touch Carburetor. I understand what you said about the ECM needs TPS to advance the timing. Investigating the problem to as you said get a pre ECM distributor. The Wagon runs & goes through acceleration as it should. More power & much improved shifting of transmission. If I had access to a diagnostic tool or some repair shop to help? That would be great. Now running & some tuning? I did get fenders & hood to fit? Waiting for shipment to arrive.

13. littlealgie7

Wagon Garage:
    I connected the cable to the lowest attachment on throttle plate. I made a washer to a have flat spots on both sides across from each other. Bought a Holley throttle screw mount & all is working good.

14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The heavy tarifs now placed by the present administration on such junk should put a stop to all that. There are good mowers, out there. But, they're either not cheap or you'll have to visit garage sales and barn finds, to get an old indestructable 2-cycle Huffy or Jacobsen mower built in the fifties

[​IMG]

Grizz likes this.
  15. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Glad you hang in there! Way to go!:thumbs2:pictures when you get that hood and fender squared away

littlealgie7 likes this.