What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Engine plant guys like it. The dealership in Buffalo that sold it when new also saw it last Sunday at their annual car show. I wish I had $1 for all the pictures that people took of the car. The Nomaro was in Michigan last month and will be heading back for the Woodward Dream Cruise and some of the fun leading up to the cruise. My Custom 56 Chevy ElCamino drew a lot of attention there the past few years so it will be interesting to see what they think of the Nomaro.

2. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I just couldn't handle it any longer.
    Last fall I went into Speedy Auto Glass to see about ordering a new headliner for Lil'Sis. They suggested I get in touch with a local guy who just happened to be hubby's brother in-law. Cool. It turns out we have two brother in-laws doing upholstery on the side, who knew? I got in touch with them, didn't really get anywhere then but I was putting the car away for the winter anyway and thought I'd wait for spring.
    So spring comes around and Lil'Sis is back in the fresh air again. I reached out to the brother in-laws to get the headliner ordered. I cut out a piece of headliner fabric for them to match up the color. Told them there was a car show coming up in August that I really wanted to attend, would the headliner be done by then, sure no worries they said. Cool.
    Well the car show is this weekend, the headliner is not here, I'm not sure it has ever been ordered and at this point I don't really care. But I couldn't handle the old sagging headliner brushing my head any more, so this evening I cut it out. There was not much resistance and it looks better.
    Tomorrow she is getting detailed and Saturday we are heading out to enter our first real car. As for the new headlinr I believe I'll elsewhere.

Attached Files:

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    All that's left to do is to go out to a drive-in theater and harvest yourself a speaker and mount it backwards like shown at the rear. Then, turn up the air conditioner and talk to visitors through a microphone, so that they can't stick their heads into your wagon and stare at the phantom headliner

[​IMG]

4. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I like that vintage photo....wait that looks like a 2002 Honda?!?!

5. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Brother in laws you didn’t know about?! So it’s a small world that you have relatives that close, but a big world that you didn’t know they were there?! Which is it?! The headliner was the first thing I had done when I got my cp. no one would touch it because of the custom sunroof which was leaking and why the headliner was sagging to begin with. When I did find someone to do it For some reason they told me the price would be cheaper if I removed the old one first. I got about five minutes in removing the old liner and quit. It was late July and hot as hell and not to mention all that foam insulation was everywhere. Ooooooo! I hate the feeling of insulation under my shirt! Ugh! It gets trapped Inside the shirt collar! In my eyes?! No thanks! $500 later I had a nice “custom” headliner

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    There must be some money, somewhere in that family, if a couple of strange dudes happen to sneak in somewhere. Who knows? Probably because of facing the business end of a shotgun?

7. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Adjusted the brakes on one day, drove about 175 miles yesterday and now I'm going to Pittsburgh again tomorrow.

8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

The brother in-laws I knew about, them doing upholstery I didn't.

Hubby actually has done headliners in the past, we just need them to order it for us, we were going to do the rest. But I guess we'll likely find someone to do it now. It is messy stuff for sure.

9. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Foam tends to deteriorate, with time. Older heaps were insulated with some sort of wooly stuff which would seem to never break down. I used foam for casting a bus speedo housing for my motorised tricycle, this spring, and was surprised at how it was starting to discolor and shrink over a couple month's time. I started to build it back up and a mature forum member at that kindergarten forum dealing with these vehicles suggested that I paint the foam. But, have to be careful as to what I paint it with, because certain chemicals could break down the foam's molocular structure. I guess, an organic water-based paint should be safe to use on this stuff. If you, Hubby or your newly discovered In-Laws or other newly discovered relatives or their shotgun pointers break out a spray gun, I'd seal the foam, to stop it from deteriorating further. Thus, preventing the new liner from sagging

Tacho_Turm_Sauber.jpg

10. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

No pictures but I pulled the drivers power window motor yesterday because it wasn't moving. It was acting up and a couple if times I pulled the door panel and just tapped it and it worked. I had to pull it to count the teeth for a new one but thought I would look at it and see what was wrong. Since the car is like new so was the window motor. It appeared that the internal relay for overheating had some contact issues so I cleaned and greased it and away we went. Just like new again. There are two holes and three small bolts holding it on. Why Ford never put the third hole in is beyond me. I was able to use a ratcheting wrench it get it it off without drilling a new hole. I ordered a dash cap and two new low beam headlights from rock auto today. Although both headlights work one has a crack and look to be original. Time to brighten things up a bit. The dash is not cracked but it is getting dark age spots from the sun and it's under cover always I'd like to preserve it as much as possible.

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

You're lucky. Ford never used to put any holes in the door skins. On some, there's only pilot dimples or pilot holes.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  12. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

As I was doing that third bolt, with my left arm blood supply being cut off from it being jammed in that little hole at the top of the door, i thought there is no way a mechanic would have done it this way. It would have had a new and probably ragged hole to remove that bolt and the inner paper liner would be gone.

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

You hit the nail right on the head. Secret tip: use a 1/2" drill with a bit bigger in diameter than 7/16", which will give you the clearance on those that use a 5/16"/8mm hex bolt.

14. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I picked up my grandson last Tuesday evening. I took the truck because I had a bunch of wood already in it and it was just easier. Anyway when he comes out of the house, other then a hi nanny and a hug, he says..."where's the wagon". The next day I was him to the beach, I asked him which car/truck we should take, he picked the wagon. :) Before we left for the beach I took him around the block in the way back seat, first time...he loved it!
    Makes a body very pleased. (y)

OrthmannJ likes this.
  15. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Why does he call you Nanny? Did you forget to tell him that you're one of his parent's moms?