Paint/Body shop

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Professor, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Professor

Professor Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello Everyone,

I've come here for advice before I do the unthinkable. I've got a '66 Ford Country Squire that I bought around 7 years ago. I wanted to restore it and use as a tow vehicle for my '66 Airstream. In that time, I've talked with different paint/body shops. Some had a year-long waiting list. Some required me to sell a kidney to pay for it. Three agreed to do it, gave me a price, we agreed, and then they came up with an excuse not to do it or I simply never heard from them again. Before I do the unthinkable, and sell the wagon, I thought I'd ask for advice and/or recommendations.

I live in east Tennessee and would prefer someone fairly close. I once sent the wagon to a body shop four hours away. My car sat there and very little got done. Does anyone have any recommendations? I realize wagons are big projects. I have the wood grain, emblems, and a set of restored fiberglass trim. Here's a link to some pictures of the wagon in its current condition.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92451820@N00/albums/72157688847393324

[​IMG]

2. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Well, since you are right over the hill on 25E from me, I can give you one. I don't know what your budget is, but paint and body are certainly one of those "you get what you pay for" categories.

Dwayne's Body Shop, 176 Horton Rd, Surgoinsville, TN, is one of the best in the area. He is NOT quick, and most likely has a waiting list, but he is very, very good at restorations and when you get it back, it will be right.

I had a guy paint my C10 because I was on a budget. Is it show quality? No. But for a driver paint job it's pretty good. Paint and body is a sideline for him and I'll have to check with him to see if he is interested before giving you his number/contact info.

If I can think of any more I'll let you know.

By the way your wagon is nice. You should certainly be taking it up to the Frostee Freeze for burgers and ice cream. :)

Professor likes this.
  3. Professor

Wagon Garage:

Thanks HotRodRacer. I'm not looking for a show quality paint job. I just want it to look clean. It's been to the Frostee Freeze before. Haha. However, in the past year or more, it's barely left the garage.

4. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Are you planning on doing any of it yourself? By that I mean, will you install the woodgrain/trim/etc. after it is painted, or are you looking for someone to do it all and you just drive it away after it is done?

I will get in touch with the guy that painted my C10, but he is just a body man/painter. I finished everything after he sprayed it.

Professor likes this.
  5. Professor

Wagon Garage:
    I was planning on getting a sign shop to put the wood grain on. I could probably do the trim or find someone to do it.

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I wouldn't sell it unless you absolutely had to. You'd be kicking yourself for years to come for getting rid of it.

Paint and body work are a conundrum.
    Unless you have a guy who works for you and there is a paint booth readily available (like on TV shows) it can take a long time.
    I have been involved in a number of restorations over the years. It seems that the paint and body work always take forever, usually twice as long as the shop figured it would take (some times more)
    We had a first gen Bronco repainted last summer.
    Just a repaint.
    Didn't even do a color change.
    It was supposed to be there for one month. It was there for almost four. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

7. ALFATAR

ALFATAR Active Member

Most regular body shops are not set up to do want you want. Some will take it in as a fill in but that is what it is a fill in. When busy it is pushed to the side. Remember the saying... good, fast, or cheap
    pick 2. Learn to do as much of the prep work you can. Is there a trade school near you? Maybe take classes at night. The local MAACO puts out some pretty ok work cheap. If you can afford it pay for better quality materials. The cheap jobs lack good prep work.

mike

8. Professor

Wagon Garage:
    With a paint job running $10k or more, I doubt I'll have too many regrets if I sell it.

I don't have the time, space or tools to do any of the prep work. I wish I did. If I can't find a shop to do it pretty soon, I'm just going to give up the battle.

9. daniels

daniels Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I like your wagon. Keep it :)

10. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    is there body rot to deal with or just paint and trim?

11. martyk98

martyk98 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've talked to several guys at the shows that have actually gone to Maaco with their nice cars and had their car shot in single stage, taken it home and put 2000 to it and buffed it out. They were very happy and cost less than $1K