I got sideswiped by a dump truck

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Fred Kiehl, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    side swipe 1.jpg side swipe 2.jpg side swipe 3.jpg side swipe 4.jpg side swipe 0.jpg
    I was headed to the junk yard Wednesday, and got sideswiped by a dump truck. Really sick about it
    I took it to my buddy's body shop, and he is going to submit an estimate to the insurance company. We will see if there is a battle for funds.

Believe it or not, I can still open the doors, and the metal is pried far enough away from the tires that it can be driven.

If I do not hear from the insurance company by Wednesday, I will be contacting a lawyer.

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I can tell you right now - it's a total loss. Sorry.

Start collecting information to support your demand for the market value - other whale wagons for sale.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Man, that is maddening and heartbreaking. Here's to hoping all goes well, and you receive just compensation.

4. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Really sorry about your mishap! This type of incident is what gives me nightmares' about what can happen taking out the longroof for a cruise, having a nice relaxing ride and some a-hole comes along and ruins it all ! Hopefully you get some kind of financial compensation for your lose and you can start to find yourself a replacement. Let's all hope it goes well!

5. Fred Kiehl

Wagon Garage:
    There are no comparables. I have a 454 in it with a built trans, among a lot of other custom upgrades. I am about to lawyer-up.

Grizz likes this.
  6. littlealgie7

littlealgie7 Run out of money to keep everybody happy.

Wagon Garage:
    You should have better luck than I. My 90 Buick Wagon hit head on. Can't find a Drivers side fender. I have seen plenty of parts to fit your Wagon. Hell Walmart has parts. Good Luck

Attached Files:

Grizz and fannie like this.
  7. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You have two options to get paid for the wagon:
    1. Going through your own insurance carrier - assuming you carry collision coverage
    2. Going through the dump truck's insurance carrier, as a claimant.

A lawyer is going to be an expert at negotiating - not at reaching an agreement on the value of the vehicle. He/she is going to mostly rely on you to provide documentation to support the value of the vehicle. (It's not enough to just insist "It's worth $xx,xxx" - you have to be able to back up your claims with substantial evidence - just like in court.) If you believe it's worth a good amount, you might want to hire an independent vehicle appraiser to support your demand.

Then again, if an insurance company sees that settling the claim as a total loss could cause them a lot of headaches, they might be willing to pay for the cost of repairs. Might be a good idea to get a damage repair estimate as back-up.

fannie likes this.
  8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So glad you were not injured. Dump trucks are like bull dogs, it could have gone right over your car. But so sorry to hear about the damage. Did you know who was travelling behind you, to have taken the picture? You can clearly see the truck was over the line. Good luck with everything, keep us posted.

101Volts likes this.
  9. Fred Kiehl

Wagon Garage:
    I have a plan to deal with the insurance company.

I have collision, but no agreed value. I can get a replacement value appraisal for the truck company's insurance company.

I took the picture, before moving the car. I have another picture showing the white line under the middle of the truck. I also have a police report available.

I will give them until Wednesday to get me a check, then I am going to lawyer-up. There are a number of local lawyers who specialize in accident representation.

10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
  11. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I drive about 30,000 miles a year, 85% highway - can not count how many time tractor trailer rigs change lanes, right into left lane, and I swear they can't be more than 3 feet off my rear bumper. 1 of these times they ae going to judge it wrong and "tap" the rear left of my car, would most likely send me spinning down the highway.

hope you don't have to go legal, never any fun even when you win. good luck and be happy its only the car

12. Fred Kiehl

Wagon Garage:
    I resolved this for $5500, and they did not total the car. $2500 for repairs, and $3000 for personal injury (no actual personal injury).

13. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's surprisingly quick. I know you have a lawyer but could we get some more detail? e.g. which car insurance company do you have, what level of insurance and did you need your lawyer?

14. Fred Kiehl

Wagon Garage:
    I did not contact a lawyer. The trucking company has Clear Blue Insurance Co. I did not go through my insurance company. I spoke with the at fault company before they got the estimate, explaining that I have at least $14K of speed equipment on the car, and that I would not accept a total of the vehicle. The estimate was about $5600. The next day, the rep said that I would not be happy, and I said that I would have to lawyer up. They made me a first offer of $2500+$2500. I defended my case (whined for about 10 minutes), and after about a half hour, they came back with a $2500+$3000 offer. I decided to take the $5500 total. The whole thing took about an hour of my time, and the negotiation took place while I was pulling the front fender from a donor car at the junk yard. I cashed the checks yesterday.

101Volts and millsy like this.
  15. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I hate to say this but - that. Was. Awesome...hope he’s ok. I never got the tuff biker guy facade. Being a motorcycle guy I’m extremely careful and COURTEOUS when I’m riding. Looks like that dude was being a real tuff guy in the video. I bet he tells his biker gang buddies that it was a big dude in an F 150 that bowled him over. He wouldn’t dare mention that he was talking crazy to some teenage girls in a Jetta when he got shut up by that tree. Sorry about the trouble Fred. I’m sure the driver of that truck is looking for a new job. Or at least got downsized to the mailroom