1977 AMC HORNET

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by mikemerkury, Mar 12, 2018.

1. mikemerkury

mikemerkury Active Member

Wagon Garage:
  2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Clean? For $10,000, I should be able to eat off of it.

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    At supposed 55,000 miles, ten thousand in today's money seems fair, if you're going to use the wagon normally. As an object for speculation, it could be risky, because it's not a classic in demand. To sit on it for ten years and then try to flip it for a price your time, trouble, storage and a reasonable profit would cover is risky business.
    The trouble about using it for daily transportation would be insurance coverage, in case of an accident. If some bum happens to total it out for you, you'll only get compensated for its market value which shouldn't be much more than scrap price, despite how mint it happens to be, unless you have a supplementary policy tacked on which could be more expensive than the effort's worth

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a '77 Hornet wagon in showroom condition at about $3,000. Yes, it would be tough to get an insurance company to insure it for more than that. I doubt anyone is in the business of flipping AMC wagons.

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Judging by contemporary skyrocketing prices on desirable classics, I wonder how up to date those guide lists are, considering that these vehicles are actually moving at such prices

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Where are prices skyrocketing on desirable classics? Is a '77 Hornet a desirable classic? Not that I've heard. What people ask for a car is no indication of what it sold for, if it sells at all. You cannot go by asking price and claim that prices are skyrocketing.

7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    There were complaints, on this forum, that hum drum cars of that particular era (case in point: a '77 4-door Cougar) were changing hands at prices beyond expectation and it seems to becoming a trend. Thus, exalting even these getting scarce vehicles beyond the reach of younger buyers who don't yet have fat wallets
    Already answered 4 posts ago. I will not stutter