The sun finally came back to Texas

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 81X11, Mar 6, 2018.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    We've had the wettest and coldest winter in 20+ years here in Central Texas. It's actually snowed three times here in Austin, which is unheard of, and it has rained and rained and rained. On the upside, there is no drought talk this spring, and we are supposed to have the best spring wildflower crop we've had in years. ANYWAY the Roadmaster has been hiding safe and dry in my garage for over a month-and-a-half. I've started it, but it had not seen daylight in some time. Well the rain finally stopped yesterday, and it was in the 70's and gorgeous (today is too), so I could not resist backing the Roadmaster out. I started right up, and drove perfect like always. I drove it to work, and then to the lake yesterday evening. Windows down and radio up, I still love this old car so much! Took the pics below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Save the Whales!

-Texas Mike

101Volts likes this.
  2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Glad for 'ya!
    As it happens, we're also enjoying the sun. Great day yesterday, and looks like more of the same today. No clouds in the sky. Rare for a winter day in Oregon. Looks like I can finally mow my lawn for the first time since fall. Hope the mower starts......

101Volts, Grizz and 81X11 like this.
  3. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Great shots mike!!! You got the best looking roadmaster in the country! How do you feel? I’ll be darned... is that lake Travis? When I left Texas about 5 years ago there was more dried up mud in that hole than water! God bless Texas!

101Volts and 81X11 like this.
  4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

That's just great. But how did the car do?

101Volts, Poison_Ivy and Grizz like this.
  5. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No that's Lake Pflugerville. Basically they flooded a rancher's field to make it, but it's a 3-mile walk around it and it's not far from my home, so it's where I walk in the evenings. Not nearly as pretty as Lake Travis (which is full again), but not bad for a big puddle! Ha!

101Volts likes this.
  6. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Car did great as-always. I bought this wagon back in 2007, and it's been a fantastic car all these years. Has 135K miles on it now and still drives like 50K!

101Volts likes this.
  7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Glad to hear from you Mike. I was wondering how things were down in Texas.
    It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Great photos of the car, thanks for sharing them with us.

Grizz and 101Volts like this.
  8. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm planning to send the car to my body guy toward the end of the month. Have some clear-coat peeling in the upper doors on the passenger side....22-year-old GM paint... Other than that my plans this year are to finally replace the fuel pump and Opti-Spark. Both are original at at 135K I know I'm on borrowed time, but it still runs great!

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

OMG, Opti-Spork (no, I did not misspell that!)...of all the absolutely crazy things GM powertrain engineers came up with because the body designers were thinking outside of the box the clay came in. There should've been open revolution at GM over that. The correct solution to eliminating the dizzy on those smallblocks would've been distributorless ignition. All they needed was an accessible cam position sensor and a crank position sensor. Instead, they designed that horrible, behind-the-waterpump BS. No wonder why there are so few of those engines. The only proper way to do the job, to ensure the new vaskets and seals are done properly, and the wires are properly routed to prevent exhaust manifold burn-throughs, is to yard the engine. But I never could convince my boss of the value of it.

10. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks great! How's the weather today? I have at least 3 inches of snow outside, my Mercury's staying in the garage.

11. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It was 94 on Saturday, crazy, but dropped back to the upper 60's yesterday, which is FINE! Supposed to be upper 60's to near 70 all this week, with no rain. Great time of the year here!

101Volts likes this.
  12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I have a similar situation with the paint on my 96 F-350. I think that's pretty typical of a lot of 90's rigs. My 22-year-old FoMoCo paint is doing the same thing.

81X11 likes this.