1978 Ford LTD Country Squire

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Feb 12, 2018.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

It's a nice car, but it ain't $7,000 nice. It's not even his $5,500 starting bid nice. With nearly 100,000 miles, faded and peeling woodgrain, scuffed panels in the rear, and fairly-low optioned (all I see are power locks, cruise, remote-control passenger side mirror, base AM radio, and air-conditioning---no power windows, no rear defogger, to name a few), it's a 40-year-old used car. $3,000 would be fair money for this.

3. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Here's the description for reference later:

Condition: Used Year: 1978
    VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): 8B74S165760 Mileage: 93,500
    Transmission: Automatic Make: Ford
    Body Type: Wagon Model:
    Other
    Warranty: Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty Engine: 6.6
    Vehicle Title: Clear Drive Type: RWD
    Power Options: Air Conditioning, Power Locks Fuel Type: Gasoline
    Exterior Color: Red For Sale By: Private Seller
    Interior Color: Red Disability Equipped: No
    Number of Cylinders: 8 Drive Side: Left-hand drive

Nice old wagon, very reliable, you can drive it anywhere. I have the original hand written invoice from when the car was sold new. The original owner paid to have this wagon undercoated and it shows. We have had a lot of fun with this one but it's time for someone else to enjoy it. The original paint is still shiny. I can assist with shipping, we have a loading dock as well.
    • 93,500 miles on odometer
    • 6.6L V8 gas engine
    • Automatic transmission
    • AC and heat
    • Cruise
    • AM
    • Manual windows
    • Power locks
    • Vinyl interior
    • 235/75R15 tires

4. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    For a survivor car this one does look good at the very least. The trim and woodgrain aren't perfect and the interior seems faded here and there but overall, it's good. Someone knows auto detailing if the (claimed to be original) paint's any indication.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few more pics in the ad.

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Were I interested enough in the car to inquire, I'd be curious as to what's going on here. Why is this patch of the woodgrain faded differently from elsewhere? Why is it rectangular like that?

And while I'm looking at it, isn't that tailpipe hanging kind of low?

s-l1600.jpg

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I just noticed this ugliness. Definitely a $2500 to $3000 car. None of his photos show the right side of the rear. I would guess similar as that looks like age-related dryness and cracking after 40 years of exposure to the sun.

s-l1601.jpg

7. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

Not a perfect car but at least not a rust bucket. All these other issues are easily fixed for a really nice driver. 3-4,500 Is my best guess. It would all depend on how much worse it got as i got closer to it.

8. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't notice that. Is it only the plastic or is there rust on the inside of the window?

Also, where's the tailpipe aiming?

9. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The interior plastic for the rear quarters are going to be difficult to come by. Very few actually have survived all these years because the sun fades them and makes them brittle, then they crack or the cars from up north without all the sun rotted away and have been scrapped and crushed. I had a wagon that the paint shop guy broke every single piece he could removing them, then told me to "just find another set and it'll be good" which... meh.

The tail pipes on almost all wagons I've had run out the sides. When the tailpipe is out the back like this one, the negative air pressure created in that area will force exhaust gasses in that area into the passenger compartment. I'm not certain what's factory, but all of the factory literature and "new" car photos I've seen of this era show the tail pipe coming out the passenger side rear quarter just after the spare tire well.

The car isn't horrible, it's in decent shape for the age even if there are some questions. I'd want to see some underside photos personally. I feel it's a bit high in price, but if this is your dream car you probably wouldn't do too terribly with it. Definitely not going to be able to resell it for more if you had to, much less get the asking price easily.

10. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

I've still got the original exhaust on my 77 colony park believe it or not. Northern car with no rust and 49000 miles when I got it. The exhaust does come out the rear passengers side past the spare tire well. It doesn't do much to stop the fumes from coming in. It's not terrible though as it's well tuned. When I do the fitech installation I will be going duals with them exiting just past the rear tires. Far enough away from the rear door window's and tailgate window. The air deflector on the roof rack helps wash the back of the wagon with air so i think it helps over not having one.

11. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Interestingly, decoding this wagon's VIN shows that it was built in Canada.

8B74S165760

8 = 1978
    B = Oakville, Ontario plant
    74 = LTD station wagon
    S = 6.6L V-8 with 2-bbl carb
    165760 = serial number

What's really interesting is that the same VIN could be applied to a '68 Ford, in which case it would decode as

8 = 1968
    B = Oakville, Ontario plant
    74 = 10 passenger Country Sedan station wagon
    S = 390 cubic inch V8 with 4-bbl carb and 10.5 to 1 compression ratio
    165760 = serial number

I think I'd rather have the second one!