Failed State Inspection?!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Slidemanic, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Slidemanic

Slidemanic Well-Known Member

I didn't expect this! Mainly just one tire (this car EATS the outside edge of front tires!) and the idler arm of the steering mechanism. After I retrieve it Monday I'll have to go get an estimate from the transmission shop on a rebuild of the old C6 slushbox.

2. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    You failed for tires? That’s harsh. We get tested for hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. Also they test the gas cap and scan the OBD. Cars older than 1974 are exempt. The tire issue must be something simple. Busted bushing? Bearing? Alignment?

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Perhaps bad ball joints, as well?

4. Slidemanic

All front end parts checked OK. I think these enormous Fords put their weight on those outside edges on turning.

5. Slidemanic

I did a shade tree type job on the huge hole in the bottom of the spare tire compartment--double layer of sheet metal,filler,Bondo,etc.,went to the Ford dealer who does all my work now, and the car passed the state inspection. I then went to a local mall and promptly got T-boned by a young lady who was going too fast and apparently couldn't see my enormous car. Anyway, that crunched both driver side doors,front fender and the hood is out of whack. The driver's door is the worst,barely closes,although all that work I did on the window mechanism is OK. The A-pillar structure would have to be pulled somewhat,and maybe the B. I don't know what will happen, I know the body shop I use would do their best,doubt there are any doors or panels available locally,and some people tell me the insurance would just total out the car. As far as occupant protection,the car took the hit,not the driver!

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    When they mean "totaling out the car", do they mean that the insurance company will pay out the value? That's what they do over here. Car owners will often cash out for dents that they never have repaired, just to spend the money partying or for whatever other reason. When they're lucky to get hit in the same place again, they could collect some more, as if the car was never hit there

7. ALFATAR

ALFATAR Active Member

In Mass the definition for a car to be a total the value of repairing the car is more then the value of the car prior to the accident less the value it has now. As a general guideline 70 to 80% of the value. All states are different. When I was an appraiser I have totaled cars out @40% and sometime did not total @ 100 % depending on the car. Remember total is just a word and the car can still be fixed if you choose to. No salvage title in Mass as it is over 10 years old. There are a couple of these cars in a junkyard near me. I also just brought one but I have not yet decided what I am going to do with it yet. Good luck, glad to here your not dead and if I can help let me know.
    mike

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Dead? I didn't know I was that obnoxious, here:beaten:

WagonKiller and Grizz like this.
  9. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    How nice you are to refer to her as “young lady” and not some other string of adjectives laced with harsh language. What a bummer about the car....sorry man. Hey you could always send over your “what’s next?” Thread and that there is proof of about $10,000.:thumbs2: Sorry for the loss. And good luck with those blood sucking insurance companies

10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Aw, give the kid a break. She was just texting behind the wheel like most anyone else

11. Slidemanic

Her car,some Hondanissayotabaru wound up curbside but still in the street,airbag deployed,coolant pouring out. She didn't shut off her car,and she just stood there on the grass crying hysterically into her phone to someone,not paying attention to her surroundings. A woman who saw the event told her "You're just young,it's not the end of the world!" several times,but I doubt she heard. Maybe she was on her phone while zipping along,hard to know.

12. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Aww, your just young.... here take control of this 4,500 pound automobile. Maybe you’ll kill someone, maybe not?! Who cares. Daddy will cut a check either way. After all he doesn’t know what an internal combustion engine is either!!

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Because if he did, she would never have been given one in the first place. I have pics from my friend Steven after some arsehead girl plowed into the back of his '98 C1500 while he was at a stop on the freeway. Her Honda hit the pickup so hard, it lifted the rear off the ground and pushed it half a truck length into a Nissan Cube, instantly making the Nissan non-Euclidean, and bending the bed at about a 30* angle. As soon as I get around to moving the pics to my computer, I'll post one. She was only slightly injured, Steven and his friend Sam were bounced around like BB's in a boxcar, but the reason all this happened? She was on her f&%king phone.

Grizz likes this.
  14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The one inside the steering wheel or the one inside her head? Wouldn't it be funny, if her phone were to catch all that and we could watch the bag blowing up on youtube?

15. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    She must have been cute. Did you get an apology at all?!