Roadmaster Sedan and Wagon "Glamour Shots", and 200-mile Texas Hill Country Roadmastering Road Trip

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 81X11, Oct 9, 2017.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Roadmaster "Glamour Shots" and 200-mile Texas Hill Country Roadmastering Road Trip, 10/7/17:

Today was delivery day for the 1992 Roadmaster Sedan Refurbishment Project, and we made a full day's event of it. Got to spend it with my wife, my kids, my Dad, and good friends! Took BOTH the 92 and 96 Roadmasters on a 200+ mile adventure!
    When you are about to do some Roadmastering and need appropriate road trip music! https://www.facebook.com/mike.masse...73742283.1553678810/10214374243540620/?type=3

Headed to Temple for the car show. My Dad up front with me in the 96 wagon, with the two little kids in the 3rd row, chasing my oldest kiddo and wife in the 92 sedan:
    [​IMG]

First we entered both cars in the GTACC Harley Davidson Car show in Temple Tx:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grizz and ModelT1 like this.
  2. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Then had lunch at Richard Rawling"s Garage in Harker Heights:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that we took off cross-country on winding Texas Hill Country back roads. My 15-year-old son had spent the night before planning a "route" from Killeen to Burnet Texas, and he took over in the 96 wagon with my wife than the little kids, and Dad and I followed in the 92 sedan. His route took us across lakes, rivers, over hills, around turns, across wide-open-spaces, and down some ready that frankly were almost as wide as these cars! It was a fun hour-and-a-half of exploring, and he got us to my Uncle's ranch in Burnet!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Here we are arriving at the family ranch in Burnet Tx.
    [​IMG]

I got some awesome "Glamour Shots" of the finished 92 Sedan and my 96 Wagon together at the ranch. LOVE these cars!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally ended up at the lake at Horseshoe Bend,, where I delivered the Sedan and we were rewarded with a great visit, swimming, jet-skiing, and watching the sunset over the lake. We topped the day off with dinner and pie at the famous Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls:
    [​IMG]

THIS has been one of the best days in recent memory!

-Texas Mike

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Mike you really know how to have family fun!:thumbs2:

Those Buicks look even larger in the photos.

5. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    We had fun driving them around the ranch too. Eddie, my 15-year-old, drive my wagon and I led in the sedan. Nothing like driving through ranch roads working on deer feeders and stands in 20+ year old luxury boats. ;)

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    One more thing, if you are in the Killeen/Temple/Belton area, that Richard Rawling's Garage is an interesting place, but I'm not sure if it's going to make it. It sits empty a lot when I'm driving by it.

I do HOPE it makes it...it's neat to have that up there between Killeen and Belton. BUT there are issues. The metal table chairs are not comfortable at all, the food is expensive and the portions and taste in general are nothing to write home about. Much of the food is trying to be fancy too...smoked gouda chicken? It's supposed to be a car-guy beer joint. I don't need chimmichurry sauce on my burger...and the boneless buffalo wings were like frozen chicken nuggets dipped in buffalo sauce.

It's also like a giant salute to Richard Rawling's ego....he has his picture everywhere. I think it would be better with more pics of the entire Gas Monkey crew and their builds. Less generic walls with store-bought signs and license plates. And less giant pics of Richard Rawlings everywhere...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That said, they have organized some decent motorcycle and car meets there. This is a Thursday-evening car meet every week that is growing. It IS a neat venue, but they need to tweak it or I worry about it's future.

-Mike

Oh and PS, that last picture, the Blue Bonnet Cafe, is in an old building on the main drag in Marble Falls. It's been there since 1929, is always crowded, very small, very old, they only take cash (there is an ATM at the door), but it has LINES out the doors most days, the food is totally country-fantastic and the pie is flat amazing, and the pricing is great too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I frankly found it kinda sad that at dinner that night, EVERYONE (me included) agreed that they enjoyed eating at the Blue Bonnet MUCH MUCH more than the lunch we'd had at Richard Rawling's Garage earlier that day. I'm sure that huge restaurant cost a fortune to build and to operate, but the Blue Bonnet was SO MUCH tastier, more comfortable and friendlier.

If you are in Texas...go to the Blue Bonnet. :D

Take Care All!

-Mike

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    A couple years ago when I was a kid with a paper route there was a contest. We begged and asked people for Blue Bonnet margarine boxes for the labels. I won something and had my photo in the local newspaper. The same paper I delivered.
    Small town midwest, it didn't take much to make the news. (In fact, I met my wife because my photo was on the front page later) :eek:

Seeing the little diner reminded me "Everything's better with Blue Bonnet on it."
    Not far away there are several small farming towns with similar older restaurants. Some grade school thru high school kids we grew up with try to go to one of them a few times each month. Like the Blue Bonnet Cafe, the food is like mom used to make and most of the waitresses look and act like mom.
    Nice write up. I do love the door handles at the Rawling's garage. Inside also reminds me of the Florida car themed restaurants that don't last long.

81X11 likes this.
  8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Richard Rawlings is a legend...........in his own mind, I'm afraid. I don't even watch his show anymore.

If i ever come to Texas to visit you, Mike, we'll have to not go there.........

9. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My parents live down the road and I've probably driven by there a half dozen times over the last 6-7 years. Never stopped. I will say this, you don't get to remain in business for almost 90 years with expensive buildings, pictures of yourself all over the walls, overpriced merchandise, and most importantly... food that is expensive and trendy without being tasty or memorable except in how "good" it isn't. Just sayin'...

Grizz, 81X11 and ModelT1 like this.
  10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I got high blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure when I looked at the fare that Blue Bonnet waitress was carrying. That is going on the Bucket list, fer shure! I just need to know where it's located.

81X11 and ModelT1 like this.
  11. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Blue Bonnet Cafe, is in an old building on the main drag in Marble Falls. Texas. Shucks man, Texas is a small state.
    Go north of San Antonio past the falls on rt 281 or NW of Austin on rt 71. Just turn left at the flashing neon sign. See ya'all there as we pass by Rawling's Garage. Look for Mike, elB and Krash at the front of the line. Bring cash and your meds.
    Plenty of station wagon parking near the hitchin post.

81X11 likes this.
  12. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Great pics mike!!! Everyone in Texas would laugh at my pronunciation of "Burnet" Texas. I would say it like it's spelled. "Bur-net" apparently its pronounced "Bur-nit?!" Also "Killeen" I would say "ky-leen", they would say "kill-een" You should be proud of the boy for being able to plot a course. I know full grown "adults" who can't read a map, even when there's a computer voice telling them which way to go. I used to watch gas monkey garage at grandmas house because she had the cable. She eventually told me she didn't want to watch it anymore. "It's hard to respect a man who wears that many accessories " I have to agree. I'm married and don't even wear a wedding band, I tell time by the sun, and every necklace I've ever worn usually gets ripped off during a scuffle, usually because of my big mouth.:cheers2::2cents:

ModelT1 and 81X11 like this.
  13. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well your pronunciation is spot on! It's Burnet Durn-it!

Grizz likes this.
  14. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm officially craving Blue Bonnet Cafe pie right now... Is it noon yet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Hungry in Austin....

ModelT1 likes this.
  15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Hungry in central Illinois. It's always 12 o'clock somewhere....... unless it's 5 o'clock.