Long time Wagon Lover, First time owner.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Andrew4180, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Andrew4180

Andrew4180 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My name is Andrew Thornton, im 21 years old, and live in Joplin, Mo.

I lived in Houston Texas most of my life, and grew up at the racetrack, both the dirt ovals and dragstrips. I began racing in jr dragsters at age 10, and have continued drag racing since. My first car was a 1981 camaro that I saved from a field when I was 15. After 6 years, 2 motors, and 7 transmissions I decided enough was enough and traded it for my new (to me) 1978 Chevrolet Malibu Station Wagon. Its been a drag car for quite some time. And I'm in the process of re-building my 383ci SBC and my old powerglide to put in it, and I plan to keep it street legal. I'll be sure to post the build updates on this site.

I moved to Joplin, Mo in April last year, my dad grew up about 2 miles from where we live now. He wanted to come home before he retired. So we all left Houston and came here. I sharpen clipper blades and scissors for dog groomers, vets, and barbers for a living, I'm also the track photographer for Monett Motor Speedway, and a racing historian. I guess I could say I do just a bit of everything racing related. If there's anything else anyone would like to know, don't be a stranger. Thanks for reading a bit about me!

20273103_10203441151506396_1801294704_o.jpg

fannie likes this.
  2. Andrew4180

Wagon Garage:
    20273202_10203441151186388_86624081_o.jpg 20273677_10203441143426194_1194695881_o.jpg 19807577_10203441151746402_2129476558_o.jpg

Heres some more pics, since I just figured it out. haha

Attached Files:

fannie and Longroof79 like this.
  3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: Andrew. For a young guy you've already done a lot and do a lot. I like the Malibu body style. It reminds me of what I called the 'salesman's special,' my 1980 basic 2- dr with a V-6 and 3-speed. We drug it behind an RV more than drove it.
    We sort of undid what your family did. We retired to Florida then moved back home to get old. Good luck and enjoy the station wagon group.:Handshake:

We had a very active member who lived in Joplin before and after the big tornado.

fannie and Longroof79 like this.
  4. Longroof79

Longroof79 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Andrew.

Cool looking Malibu wagon. I currently own a '79 Malibu as you see in my Avatar. If there's anything you need to know information wise, feel free to ask.

Hopefully, you'll get it roadworthy again without too much trouble. However, it looks pretty gutted inside. Check out the junkyards for 4-dr G-body cars for interior parts.
    Is the wiring harness intact?

If you're not going to race the car, you might consider a TH350 trans, 200-4R, or 700R-4 instead of the powerglide. You may also need to change the rearend gears depending on what ratio is in there presently. Also, if it has a spool, I wouldn't recommend driving it on the street that way...too dangerous.
    I'm also a member of the G-body Forum...a lot of wagon and Malibu guys on there.
    Good luck! Keep us informed on your progress.

Jack

fannie likes this.
  5. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome Andrew!

Andrew4180 likes this.
  6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome! That looks like quite the platform for a street/strip car.
    Keep us updated on your progress.

Andrew4180 likes this.
  7. Andrew4180

Wagon Garage:

Hi Jack, its going to be a street legal race car, if it sees 350-500 miles a year that would be something. Mainly making it legal again to pass tech for certain events. If it can prove its roadworthiness I plan to compete in Hot Rod Drag Week. The combination im putting in it ran 11.30 at 118mph in my camaro with a smaller camshaft. It'll have a mini-spool, 4.10 gears, a 550hp SBC with a built glide. It wouldnt be driven on the street much at all, to and from a car show or maybe to the drive in and dinner with the girlfriend. Just an all around fun hot rod.

Longroof79 and ModelT1 like this.
  8. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Andrew! Cool Malibu! I'm kinda fond of the color! Sounds like you will be a knowledgeable contributor to the forum. Which is good because we already have one member who talks out the side of his neck and doesn't really offer much valuable information (me). I left a women in Texas who still tries to contact me even after I got married and had kids. (Not in that order) I used to say "Mexican women aren't crazy, they are just passionate." Turns out they're both. I had to get out of there, moved back to Tennessee and hooked up with a boring old white girl who only speaks one language. But I sleep soundly at night knowing all my extremities are safe from dismemberment. So boring:dead:

Andrew4180 and ModelT1 like this.
  9. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    [QUOTE="Longroof79, post: 403578, member: 8728"Jack[/QUOTE] Hijack. Durn, I always wanted to meet you and that other Gainseville member. Seems like everytime we were over in the big city we had appointments or were in a hurry. This being retired takes too much valuable time.
    Anyway, keep cruising the local car events and I'll pretend we met.:dancing:

We 've only met one real live Station Wagon group member and I'm not sure if he's real. Heck of a nice guy though;).

Longroof79 and Grizz like this.
  10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like this could be a nice country song about X's, Texas, and crazy wimmin. I still sleep with one eye open. You can never really trust those old white wimmin!:biglaugh:
    Actually I don't think there is a race or color of women a man can trust. That's why when we moved we each have separate bedrooms. Something I swore we'd never do.:badwords:

Andrew4180 likes this.
  11. Longroof79

Hi Andrew,
    So the car will be a street and strip build...gotcha! It sounds like it will be more strip than street....and on occasion, terrorize the street.
    They're fun cars and make great race cars. Wagons seem to have a weight distribution advantage.
    However you use the car, have fun and enjoy yourself....just stay out of trouble...LOL!

Andrew4180 likes this.
  12. Longroof79

Hijack. Durn, I always wanted to meet you and that other Gainseville member. Seems like everytime we were over in the big city we had appointments or were in a hurry. This being retired takes too much valuable time.
    Anyway, keep cruising the local car events and I'll pretend we met.:dancing:

We 've only met one real live Station Wagon group member and I'm not sure if he's real. Heck of a nice guy though;).[/QUOTE]
    Denny,
    Sorry we were unable to meet. I have met the other Gainesville member ,Adrian. He drives a really cool '66? Olds Vista Cruiser with nice patina. Is he the one that you meant?...if so, he is a nice guy.
    I'll keep a good thought for you. Keep on keepin' on.

Jack

ModelT1 likes this.
  13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Denny,
    Sorry we were unable to meet. I have met the other Gainesville member ,Adrian. He drives a really cool '66? Olds Vista Cruiser with nice patina. Is he the one that you meant?...if so, he is a nice guy.
    I'll keep a good thought for you. Keep on keepin' on.

Jack[/QUOTE]Yes, I'd forgotten his name. I'm sure there are several other wagon members and wagon lovers around the Gainseville area. One regular who has been irregular lately was buildong east of Gainseville. I think he built himself inside and can't get out!
    Our biggest problem was with my Dodge truck and the wagon both down for over eight months. Living in the boonies we were lucky our adopted son occasionally remembered we needed food and stopped by, a good neighbor, and a few other friends helped taxi us around. I had no idea my truck would be problem after prblem or I'd bought at least a clunker to drive. So that and both of us going thru health issues kept us home a lot.
    I still think nasty thoughts when I see those ads "Dodge, America's longest lasting trucks" or something like that.
    Now that we got the truck fixed, decided to sell it, and moved we are doing well for old ex-rednecks. We actually loved being rednecks in the forest. Now we are just outside town with pine trees along one side, a mini forest and corn field behind. Almost like our Florida home except the thoughts of s n o w !

Sorry Andrew, slightly off topic.:welcomewagon:again.:bigsmile:

14. Andrew4180

Wagon Garage:
    Hahaha, no problem. Interesting stories everywhere on here. haha

ModelT1 likes this.
  15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Eventually we post station wagons and discuse them. Station wagons seemed to be more family vehicles so they bring back old family memories.

millsy likes this.
  16. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: aboard...a better hello then in your other thread. Love your new wagon, congratulations. :tiphat: