The $800 rock!

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Paladin62, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was out cruising the other day...Actually on my way to the body shop to get some tips on finding and fixing a water leak on my windshield. I'm a quarter mile from the shop, a golf ball sized rock flies off the 18 wheeler dump truck in the adjacent lane and "Wham".
    I talked with Last Minute Customs here in Houston...$800 to replace the windshield. Holy Moley!!!
    That dump truck put me in the dumps.

Attached Files:

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Get the license plate number and notify your insurer and maybe the cops, if necessary. That 18-wheeler's supposed to cover his load.

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I had the same thing happen a few miles north of New Orleans on I-55 in my nearly new 2004 Dodge truck. Lucky for me it made only a small chip. The unlucky part was the chip was exactly in the area I mostly looked out. :mad:The truck had a load of gravel and no cover. Since it was a tiny chip I lived with it for ten years then traded the truck.
    What annoyed me was I was traveling slightly over the speed limit when the truck passed. :badwords:

In an earlier life I drove 18 wheelers and on overtime occasionally hauled short dump bed scrap trailers with steel shavings. This was before and after tarp covers became law. Local car drivers were constantly reporting to their insurance about those steel shavings hitting their cars and embedding into car tires. :cussing:
    I'm sure the eventual roll back tarp systems ended up a cheaper alternative. Sadly some truckers are lazy or in too big of a hurry to crank the tarp over their load.:rant2:
    Companies are responsible.

On the plus side it happened before you paid to get the leaky windshield repaired.:)

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Krash Kadilac might have a perspective on this, since he used to deal with insurance claims.
    I'd say at the very least you should contact the trucking company and talk to them. You never know, they may offer to help with the cost of the repair.

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Help? They should cover it entirely. In the long run, it would be much cheaper for them to do so, rather than go through all the legal hassels and then have their insurance premium go up.

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, good luck with that........
    First, Paladin62 would have to carry Comprehensive coverage on his policy
    Second, he would have to get the license # of the truck, and note the date, time, and place of the incident
    Third, it would be preferable if he had attempted to flag the driver down at the time of the incident, to document that it was THAT truck, and THAT driver that the rock came from.......

In reality, virtually NO ONE gets information like this on a windshield breakage claim, so insurance companies are resolved to just OK-ing the payout, subject to any in-place deductible. In recent years, major insurance companies have resorted to paying 100% for windshield REPAIRS (where cracks/chips are not in the line of vision) - waiving any deductible. Haven't heard of generally good results on the repairs, though - maybe 1 in 4 are satisfied.

So, with not getting the information on the offending vehicle, you're just losing your deductible amount, if any.

I don't recall EVER getting 'other party' information on a windshield rock chip claim.

7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Aren't those dashcam images of that particular vehicle of which he posted a few days ago? If you set them up that way and they obey, dashcams can get the time and date programmed into them.

8. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah - dashcams can be a big help, as long as you remember to hit the 'save' button after an incident.
    Wish they were around 15 years ago. Would have made my job a lot easier.

9. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Nothing was easy 15 years ago. That's why we look old today!
    The company I worked for paid out by just saying "it was a ***colored truck" with our logo. I have no idea how many won or what the offers were.

The few times I got attacted by truck rocks I slowed down, cussed, and watched the truck drive off into the sunset, which is normal even for tire tread flying thru the air.

10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Must be an old dashcam. Never heard of such a mode. Mine takes a 32 gigabyte mini-flash which stores hours of footage of which I can sort out on the computer, afterwards.

11. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    I'm still researching them. I guess what I learned 3 months ago is now 'old tech'.....

12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    If they were around 15 years ago, you might have been long out of a job today. Japan is the first country where an insurer has recently sent home employees whose jobs have become digitalized.

13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Soon humans won't be needed. Even robots are being controled by robots. My car will go to Amazon and shop for me while I play on my computer.
    Since the car insurance is on my car it will pay it's bills when due. All I have to do is watch George Jetson on my new 200" TV made in Japan by out of work American computers.

14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    If you keep that up, your wife will replace you with a computer, Sir. Husbands who spend their time in front of a computer aren't necessary turn-ons for their spouses. Computers aren't made in Japan, anymore. Out of work Japanese let the Chinese put them together for them, so that they can now spend their time collecting welfare behind computers.

15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    At least Japan has learned something from Americans.