Feel cheated

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by kolby66, May 11, 2017.

1. kolby66

kolby66 Well-Known Member

I was working on a wagon deal, and we agreed on a price. Asked how would he like to handle the money, since he and wagon in another state. Meanwhile I am calling about insurance, and shipping. A while later I get an email from seller saying his partner didn't understand that I had the deal and sold of the wagon. Feeling cheated and pissed. Has this ever happened to anyone else here?

2. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

The partner thing is probably BS. They probably either got more money or just did another deal, because it was someone local.
    When I turned 16, I went to a used car lot and found a 1970 Plymouth Fury Sport with a 383 for $500. It was a Friday evening and my dad gave them a check to hold it, but we were coming back on Monday with the cash that I had saved that was in the bank. I was so excited all weekend. We go there on Monday afternoon and they sold it. The salesman said, "the deposit was for me to not sell it, I can't keep other guys from selling it." I was so disappointed.

dennis and kolby66 like this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Jesus, what a load! The salesman was lucky you or your dad didn't punch his lights out. The check was to guarantee you were first buyer, no matter who the salesman was.

BuickEstate, dennis, BillT and 3 others like this.
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

And Kolby, that happens a lot. No matter how much the Internet makes car buying that much more attractive, you just cannot count on anyone to give a verbal promise anything more than no response. And always remember, there are always deals to be found everywhere; it just takes more than basic effort to make it. A friend of mine spent four months looking for the 'right' 1996 Bronco, and he eventually found it, after two separate times he tried doing a deal and both fell through. His final deal required him to drive nearly the length of the state of Idaho on his motorcycle with his old lady, cash in hand, to make the deal before the guy could back out or sell it out from under my friend.

kolby66 likes this.
  5. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Buying a car long distance definitely takes the right seller and a little luck. I am in the middle of two transactions myself right now and I've done several in the past. Just remember there is always another car out there (unless the car you were looking at was an unrestored original '71 Hemi Cuda convertible or something like that then yeah you are screwed). I drove a few hours several months ago to look at a car I have been hunting for a while. When I got there it was nice, but not what I wanted so I passed. On the ride home all I could wonder was if I would ever find THE car. Later that night on craigslist I found THE car in better shape with more options for 40% less than the car I just went to look at. I wound up making a deal on that car.

Sounds like this guy isn't/wasn't someone you wanted to deal with anyway. On all of my transactions I fill out a purchase agreement that includes buyer and seller info, car information, and purchase price and payment method. I sign two copies and send them to the seller. They sign one and send it back to me. At least that way you have something in writing. No clue if it would hold up in court, but at least you have something if money changes hands and things go south.

One thing you also want to do before you agree to anything is make the seller prove that they actually have possession of the car and the title in their name. I was going down a path with a seller a couple of months ago. Everything was going well, car looked good. Then I asked for proof of ownership and suddenly I get radio silence. That car is still for sale and I suspect something is up with the title or possession or both. Cars in that condition at that price just don't last that long on craigslist unless there are some serious hidden issues.

Good luck in your search.

Grizz and kolby66 like this.
  6. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sorry, but when I sell something, first cash in my hand wins. If I'm buying a car long distance and we agree on a price, I'll overnight or paypal a significant down payment to lock in the deal. Sounds like you didn't do this.

7. kolby66

I would have sent the money that very minute, but seller didn't know how to work it. but I understand what your saying.

8. kolby66

I don't want to show a pic of the car, or talk about the car so that the seller or new owner feel intimidated at all. The wagon was very unique, and I will leave it at that.

9. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Long ago only a few blocks from home was our local Ford dealer. They had a few year old 1964 Ford convertible in dark blue at a reasonable price. I was on my way home from work and passed the dealership daily, seeing many cars I couldn't live without. I looked at the '64 Ford, drove it, and made a verbal deal. I didn't have much cash since I was headed from work but the salesman shook on it and told me to return the next afternoon. It was closing time then.
    Next day got home from work early, had already talked to bank, and was ready to get MY Ford. There it sat in my driveway. My wife doesn't drive but I figured the salesman may have driven it the few blocks to our house.
    WRONG. Another salesman sold the car to my brother in law the very next morning. That salesman didn't know about my agreement. I was :badwords: but I lived. The hardest part was seeing my brother in law tearing that convertible up. :cry:

One of my best friend's went to another town with me to look at a restored Model A. It was in a locked garage and no one was home. For the price I called and done the deal. My best friend took the next day off work, bought the Model A, and hauled it home. Again I was :badwords::cussing: but I lived and we are still best friends.
    There were other cars and other disappointments.............. but I lived!:banghead:

wagoninsane and kolby66 like this.
  10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So sorry your deal went south.......

When I did my deal to buy the Way-Back Machine (which was in Wisconsin; I'm in Oregon), the seller initially thought I expected him to let the wagon go before he had his money. I told him no. The wagon doesn't leave his possession until the certified check I mailed him cleared and the money was verified in his account. Also helped that apparently I was the only interested buyer. Prior to that, someone here on the SWF went and looked at the wagon for me.

So, if you buy long distance, cover your bases, but do what you have to do to guaranty the vehicle will be yours. Kevin had some good ideas.

kolby66 likes this.
  11. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    When I bought my wagon the seller was a little leary about a out of state buyer and I almost just gave up but after a lengthy phone conversation we were able to come to an agreement.
    I also just sold a car to someone from out of state and I agreed with buyer on a Friday for him to come that Sunday to look at it because of both our work schedules. Just have to have 2 people willing to work together.

kolby66 likes this.
  12. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I don't understand what out-of-state-ness has to do with anything. What are they, aliens from outer space? It's still the U. S. of A. The money is just as green in that state as it is in this one. If I'm selling a car, as soon as the buyer gives me the money, the car is his to do with as he pleases, and he can take it to the moon as far as I'm concerned. I sign the title over to him, and it's his problem, not mine, to get it titled in his state. It's his problem, not mine, to get it back to his state. Etc. Etc. Etc.

kolby66 likes this.
  13. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My state requires a copy of sellers drivers license if you do not get a notorized bill of sale. Since it was Sunday, I could not get a notary, seller didn't want to give me a copy of his license. That's what "out-of-stateness" had to do with it. Second part of "out-of-stateness" issue if you and other party aren't working together is, I'm driving 5 hours to see and/or buy vehicle, guy from 20 minutes away sees ad, offers to buy car before you get there and seller sells car to him after you are 4 hours into your trip. Nothing illegal about that but morally I think it is wrong. If you are traveling to get a car, buyer and seller have to work together.
    I sold a car Easter Sunday, guy came from 4 hours, I agreed not to show or sell car once we decided on day and time for him to look at it because he was driving from out of state and doesn't matter where or what he does with it once it is paid for. Color of money from state to state and if someone out of state identifies as a alien wasn't what the post was about as far as I could tell.

kolby66 likes this.
  14. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    When I bought my Olds longroof it was five states away! I bought mine off e-bay, contacted the seller over the phone, talked for 45 minutes and agreed to work with each other if I won the auction. Well I did win, called the guy up and set the ball rolling. Took me three weeks to wrap up all the loose ends and actually take possession of the wagon. The guy was more than accommodating! I guess it depends on who your dealing with. In my opinion if someone doesn't want to work with the other person I wouldn't want to do business with that person!....Longroofs Rule!

dennis likes this.
  15. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah man several people said they wouldn't wanna do business with a flake like that. I always try and be positive in situation like this and just keep thinking "it probably weren't meant to be". There is another better find out there. When you do find it, and your so happy you didn't buy the other jalopy reply to this thread so I can say "I told ya so!!":dancing: