Loud Humming noise..

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 89Mercury, Apr 13, 2017.

1. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have an 1989 colony park I recently bought. Every since I have owned it it has a loud humming/buzzing noise coming from the rear area. Im thinking its the fuel pump. If this is the case is my fuel pump going out?or is this just a problem these vehicles have? I can hear this humming from the driver seat and its driving me and my kids crazy. Is their anyway to take care of this problem?thanks

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yeah, it's the fuel pump. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed out? The pump stays cool and not so noisy when the filter is changed. Factory is 2 years/24K, but if you want the pump to last a long time, change it once a year, whether it's needed or not. But if it still is really annoyingly noisy, it's a good bet the pump's on its way out. And no telling when it will happen.

WagonKiller and ModelT1 like this.
  3. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    I changed the fuel filter with a motorcraft last week and still the same noise. It does have alot of miles(146,000).Looks like i will be replacing the fuel pump..lol..Thanks for the information..

4. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

That's why people put loud exhausts on their cars. I had one put in my truck 19 years ago. The old one made no noise but the replacement did. I lived with it. Last year during a long trip on a real hot day it started screaming. Didn't know if I would make it home or not, but it didn't happen again until we had another hot day this year. Took it in last Monday and got it back this past Tuesday. All the auto parts stores had the wrong one.....it was 4" too short. The garage got the specs from a dealer and had the manufacturer build one. Pretty good service for a change.

5. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    For piece of mind, I'd replace. 146,000 is not a lot of mile for the car, I had an 89 that I finally traded at 186,000 miles only issue I ever had was transmission went out because of the grommet on the TV cable broke - and transmission was toast.
    Got an 85 Colony Park in January was the 1st thing I replaced , with brass not plastic - they are cheap about $25.

Grizz likes this.
  6. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    My 87 cp has adjustable air shocks on the rear. Or automatic load leveling suspension. Not sure if they are on all cp's or not. When I have them pumped up and the rear raised up I will hear a hissing sound occasionally coming from the back. But it's most definitely a hissing and not a buzzing. You could try to unplug the pump and see if the noise continues. Also I think you have a fuel pump shut off switch. Not sure if you shut it off from there or not. I think it might be for resetting purposes after a collision, so you could try jumping a few curbs to try and trigger that switch to shut down the pump. (Just kidding about jumping curbs part) I would try this just to be sure. Before you drop the tank or cut a hole in the floor!

Attached Files:

7. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    You too huh?

8. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I have to ask, even if I'm wrong. The humming, you don't mention if it's humming all the time as when the engine is running even in park or is the humming only happening while driving and with that does it get louder as you drive faster? (rear end bearings?)

Grizz likes this.
  9. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    The humming noise is when the engine is running even in park. The humming noise stays the same.It doesn't get louder as time goes on. I put my ear to the rear compartment where the gas tank is and you can definitely tell its coming from their.

10. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I recall a few Taurus' from that era with the same fuel pump hum. I know several were driven for years without failure. That said I would change it out because it would bother me.

11. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    It should also start when the engine is not running but the key turned to the on position right? I'd go with the consensus of the group and say it's the pump. Or a bomb...:nailbiting:

12. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

Diagnostics:
    Cust. says loud annoying humming coming from rear seat.

Tech:
    Found source of hum.
    Removed small child from rear seat.
    Tested vehicle on the road.
    Confirmed hum is now absent.
    Vehicle is now fixed.

Grizz likes this.
  13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Despite Leadslead's assessment of the symptom, two things: 1) You can test the pump (and pump pressure, if you think the pump might be going) by triggering the pump at the EEC IV self-test connector, pic below; 2) by '89, the pump hanger and gauge sender were incorporated into the same unit, accessible from the front side of the tank. eecivdiagnosticconnector.gif

Grizz likes this.
  14. Silvertwinkiehobo

IIRC, you ground the pump trigger to latch the FP relay, thereby switching on the pump.

15. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    I noticed the tank is vertical and you can get to the pump from the side of the tank.Is their enough clearance and would i be able to replace the pump without taking off gas tank?Thanks