2010 Custom Longroof

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by RMay, Jan 29, 2017.

1. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ok, so I have not given up on my 66 Malibu 2 door Nomad Wagon conversion but I had an idea and things just happened to fall into place for me. The 66 will still be worked on but a little slower than planned.

Last year I had this design idea for a 2010 Camaro Station Wagon. Like my other builds I bought a couple models and started coming up with a design. I found a good deal on a low mileage 2010 Camaro that had left rear quarter damage which I have since repaired. After looking at and measuring different vehicles all summer I thought would be good for my conversion, last week I found my donor vehicle. It is a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT that has front end damage. It is actually not a bad car with a 5.7L Hemi, leather interior with full power and more. Drove it home and it really screws.

I will be removing part of the roof and rear hatch and grafting it onto the Camaro just behind the B-pillar. My friends who sometimes think I am crazy gave me a cool idea for what will be left of the Magnum. I am getting too old for multiple projects so parting out the rest of the Magnum will be a better idea and help me finance some of my Camaro conversion.

DSC00005.JPG DSC00497.JPG IMG_6875.JPG

2. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    1. So I guess project number ???? (oh hell lets face it I lost count) is now officially under way. I have always wanted a 5th Gen Camaro and almost bought a new one several years ago but ended up buying our old Chopped 37 Chevy instead. Well I still liked them so last year I bought a 2010 Camaro from the salvage auction we used to deal with when we had our salvage yard. I often wondered what if it was just a little bit different? My ideas and design work began as I have often done with drawings and building a toy model. The model confirmed my ideas and I even recently made a small design change lengthening the side window. A few weeks ago the salvage auction helped me out again with the perfect donor vehicle. I bought a loaded 2005 Dodge Magnum RT Wagon with a 5.7L Hemi. The car had some front end damage but we were able to drive it home from the auction and let me tell you that Hemi really moves. If I was looking for another project, I know exactly what I would do with this Magnum but I am sticking to my plan to sell the remaining parts to finance my current project. So the two cars will be converted into a one of a kind 2010 Camaro Station Wagon which will be appropriately named the "NOMARO". I am using a 5' rear section of the Magnum Wagon roof, the rear hatch and assorted interior trim. The Camaro is a low mileage cruiser and will maintain it's factory look except for the top. Today it was a record breaking 63 degree February day so I spent it outside and finished the disassembly on the Magnum. My templates are made, measuring and marking for my cuts are ready, now I just need the guts to start chopping away.
    DSC00542.JPG

3. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Definitely watching this thread!

wagonmaster likes this.
  4. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    1. Another mild day so I decided to remove the Magnum roof today. The plasma cutter was a big help but I had to use the cutoff wheel, sawzall and air chisel around the gas tank filler. No cuts or bruises, just a few sore muscles. Will relax a bit and take a quick trip to Detroit for Autorama, for some motivation and probably more ideas. Next up is to trim all the over cutting and get the top prepared for install on the Camaro at a later date.

1. DSC00559.JPG DSC00560.JPG DSC00562.JPG

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    101Volts, ModelT1 and Grizz like this.
  5. Holzwagen

Holzwagen Member

I see a Magnum Ute in the near future. Great start on the Nomaro Ray.

TylerTJ likes this.
  6. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Yes please! This is cool

7. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    A Magnum Ute (Magnumino) was definitely an idea I considered but with two unfinished Wagon builds I certainly do not need any more new projects. The Magnum was purchased as a salvage vehicle and I did not request it to be titled in my name so the leftovers are being sold to help finance the Nomaro build.

8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Man, if I lived close to you I'd be at your house with a trailer to pick up whats left of the Magnum.

1tireman and RMay like this.
  9. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Drove it out of the garage this morning sitting on a drywall bucket DSC00564.JPG to make the final cuts. It certainly would make a nice suspension and drive line under something like an early Mopar Wagon. Hopefully the guy who says he is coming to buy it shows up with his trailer.

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    You had a real bucket seat. I always used a plastic milk crate.:eek:

wagonmaster, Grizz and RMay like this.
  11. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That's precisely what I would have done with it.

RMay likes this.
  12. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

I'm following a long this is a interesting build

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Bucket seat. That's a good one.:rofl2:

14. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Finally made a spot in the shop to start my chop.
    After a lot of prep work, today I made my first cut on the Camaro body. A little nervous and some scared looks from my buddies who kept asking, you sure you want to do this?
    I also made some preliminary cuts on the Magnum tailgate. The plan is to graft the lower edge of a Camaro trunk deck to the hatch so that it fits in the proper location around the stock taillights and bumper cover. A few friends have stopped by and have been very helpful discussing my design plans and some alternative options to consider. So far it looks like I will have to remove less of the original roof than I had planned. We are working on ideas to keep and extend the original body lines down the center of the roof. I have had the roof on and off the car several times so far and almost have it right where I want it.
    Well, I guess there is no turning back now. The other guys are going fishing tomorrow so my air cutter, sawzall, air chisel and plasma cutter should not bother them with too much noise.

DSC00858.JPG DSC00848.JPG DSC00856.JPG DSC00859.JPG DSC00860.JPG

1tireman and wagonmaster like this.
  15. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice to hear from you again RMay! Looks like your nomaro project is shaping up nicely! Great thread, can't wait to see some more!.... Longroofs Rule!