Ideas for Transport?

Discussion in 'Site News, Feedback, Suggestions and Help' started by brydm, Jun 26, 2016.

1. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    For the most part The car shippers {brokers} are nothing more than failed car salesmen that can't pass the drug test at home depot.They all have access to the Ride boards and just want to get a big cut for pushing the botton. Just try to get them on the phone when things go wrong.!!! Karen is honest and really gets into saving you money with good service .

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ouch. My dad was a logistics manager and a i got sister-in-law is. So harsh.

Just kidding, i have a covered car co that is beyond reproach, but it takes time - 2 -4 weeks is nothing to wait for an outpost. Otherwise for uncovered I play the open market. But here is the deal. If there is a car dealer in town or on the route, cars are coming and going regularly you just have to find the right people. If you are having trouble at an outpost, have the person there ask at the dealer (everyone buys a car or knows someone at a dealer) who is moving auction cars or trades. Motor home dealers also know lots of independents. Trailers and campers regularly come full and leave empty, they love taking a car back for gas. Even if just to a depot.

But I can't wait to try your contact.

3. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I just had my car shipped from Il back to VA, Used U Ship from eBay cost $720 including Insurance
    Have read the horror stories, but have read the great ones too. Because of Christmas New Years and weather delivery was delayed by 3 days. U ship did the work found a carrier, sent me their info, DOT numbers their insurance carrier etc.. Final carrier gave me drivers phone number, great guy!!! he couldn't deliver to home address - truck too big - we arranged to have delivered to a friends Lincoln dealership - gave the driver the UShip paper - that's was it.
    As the car was shipped on an open car carrier - it was filthy - couldn't see out he windows This driver had 7 stops between IL and VA - 5 dealers and 2 auctions - everyone of them asked if the Colony Park was going to a dealer for sale = As much as I want the car and happy to finally get another CP - I like cash more - Driver and I had a good laugh about it.
    It was painless and easy.
    Worked out well - lucky I guess
    https://www.uship.com/ship/vehicles/cars-light-trucks/create

4. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I tried uship once for a car on fleabay. It didn't work out. They couldn't find someone to pick up my car in Montrose CO. And they basically cancelled my order but kept the $125 fee! It was good for my next purchase. Needless to say, there was no next purchase. In theory uship should be a good solution and I am sure they have gotten better since the early days when i first tried to use them.

5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Hard to believe we shipped four cars and a riding mower just over one year ago from NW Florida to central Illinois.:cool:
    Loaded in 90 degree sunshine and sweat. Arrived below freezing, snow, and shivering.
    At least the panel truck arrived dry and salt free on a flatbed by son in law.:tiphat:
    Transport hauler promised fast delivery while the weather was nice. Went south 150 miles to Disney World first, then thunderstorms, breakdowns, and snow storms.

Here they still sit, sad and lonely.:cry::badwords:

My idea is follow your gut and buy a trailer or cube truck.

Attached Files:

Grizz likes this.
  6. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I'm confused. I thought people spend their lives working to buy awesome cars and eventually end up in Florida!?! I think your doing it wrong!! But then again, I don't know much:tiphat:

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Grizz, got a laugh out of that.
    Moved to Shenandoah Valley from Chicago ( our 11th move - keep dodging the IRS ) and this time of the year my wife still tells me we should have gone at least another 200 miles south. I always reply - "really how bad is this? by the end of March we have to start cutting the grass" Grass doesn't turn green in Chicago till May!
    But we are in the valley and can easily get snow of 20+ inches - but then it's gone

8. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    We got about 8inches one day here in Nashville last year, maybe it was December, I've lived here my whole life,a mere 34 years and I've never seen that much snow. It was a blast. Everyone rushes to the store and buys up all the milk and all the bread, my friend says "well what are they gonna do?! Make a bunch a milk sandwiches?!"

9. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    It does work that way. As a 34 year old "kid" you will learn as you grow Grasshopper. Confusion does not vanish with age. It only gets more confusing. The human body is much like that of an old car, it slowly falls apart and needs much bodywork and tuneups.
    Being nearer family and friends seemed to be a smart move. So far only two small snows and a few weeks of cold weather. Being old and retarded for 23 years now, we can sit inside and laugh as the working people drive by the windows.
    It's only a phone call away to ask the kids to drop by to visit...................and bring milk and bread.:2cents:

Most of the friends we made in Florida, land of car shows and cruise ins, either moved back to where they came from or died. We liked the idea of moving better.

Grizz likes this.
  10. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's a bit harsh, no? I've had good and bad experience.
    Like anything you get what you pay for. The bottom feeders will quote you a very low price, take you deposit(their fee) knowing few truckers will want the load and those who do might not be so reliable. The payment due at the destination is the trucker's portion. Knowing that it's easy to figure what's in it for the trucker and how motivated they'll be.

11. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just saying when you find a good broker stick with them.So many people get ripped of with these guys on line that take the deposit and run. Try to call one on the phone sometime.

12. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    pilot transport gets my vote:thumbs2:

ModelT1 likes this.
  13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    You moving to Illinois? :huh:We need a car guy neighbor! I haven't spotted a Gator here. Not even the Gainesville sporty type. :bouncy:Only had two small snows this year and it wasn't as cold as it useta was, according to global warming and rises in sea temperatures. Of course we can't see the sea from here.