Street Spotting

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Cyber-Wizard, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Cyber-Wizard

Cyber-Wizard Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I haven't really seen a lot of wagons around my home town. There are a handful of '90's GM B-Bodies in various stages of repair and not a lot else. I was pleased to pull into a parking lot on my way to a customer's office yesterday and see this a couple of spots over. It looks like someone is using it as a work truck as the wayback was full of lumber and tool boxes. I had to snap a pic and left the owner a business card with a note to come and visit us here. I really should print up some stationwagonforums.com recruiting cards for such occasions.

[​IMG]

2. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

Woke up this morning, and got ready to go to work, low and behold as I'm leaving I saw my wagons younger cousin pulling in my neighbors driveway. A mid 90s Mercury Sable in almost the same color... unfortunately I didn't have time to snag a pic.
    Wagons of any year are kinda rare in these parts, trucks though are everywhere. Anyway nice falcon!

101Volts and dennis like this.
  3. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Lately I have seen a 76/77 Lemans pretty much exactly like this.....
    [​IMG]

Keep meaning to have a better look, car is always clean, one dent in rear quarter. Parked on a side street parallel to the HYW in a industrial area. Does look nice....... @100 feet, as I'm doing 60MPH past it:rednose:

JackWagon, 101Volts and dennis like this.
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The Welcome cards are a great idea. I've talked to others who had Broncos (Fullsizebronco.com) or Rancheros (Ranchero.us), but I haven't really seen anyone here in Everett with a decent resto wagon. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled.

101Volts and dennis like this.
  5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good idea about the 'business cards'. I think I'm going over to Staples for some card stock I can print on. Doesn't make sense to do it 'professionally' don't need that many.

101Volts likes this.
  6. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wagons are a scarcity here but if I think back to all the ones I've seen since I started looking years back there are more than I thought there would be. They're mostly the large 1977-1990 G.M. Wagons or 1979-1991 Ford type with a few 1991-1996 Whale types. I've never seen anything else to recollection except a 70s LeMans that was rotting away.

1971-1976 Clamshells:

There's a guy a few miles from me who derbies these so he has a number of them in his yard. Rather sadly perhaps there's a recently repainted 1975/1976 Caprice in his yard which I thought I saw for sale some time ago; it's finished in a bright red with a white (I'm not sure if it's vinyl) roof. I don't know if he's going to smash that one or not but then again I don't know all the details to that wagon either. It pained me to see that one in his yard though.

1977-1990 G.Ms:

3 Buicks, 1 or 2 Oldsmobiles, 1 Caprice Estate, 2 Caprice Classics (one red which passed me on I-80) and 1 Pontiac.

1979-1991 Ford/Mercury:

1 LTD

1991-1996 Whales:

I've seen all the makes in my travels; Buicks, Chevrolets and Oldsmobiles. One owner of a 1994 Caprice with the 4.whatever motor (not a typo, there was a 4.x motor for that year) intended to keep it but then the engine blew up and he didn't replace it.

I've also seen some smaller ones around. There's a Pontiac 6000 Safari (or whatever they're called) that's been sitting in front of a house near Cook Forest for years and a rusty Buick Century in Brookville. I also saw some other small one but then it was parked and now I don't see it by the house so the owners may have junked it.

7. Leadslead

You've seen more than me, since looking for them a couple years ago (as ya never notice till ya start to actually look, right?)
    I've seen a total of two, a white 1972 or so torino wagon with a shaker hood, driven by a guy in his early 20s, and a gold mid 90s Mercury Sable wagon.
    If I owned that one I'd call her lil cuz.

8. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

Be careful about going near or touching other people's cars, you lift a wiper blade to put a card under it and the next thing you hear may be the sound of a weapon being cocked .:rolleyes:

9. Leadslead

That's when you ask "hey how much for the gun and a clean pair of shorts?
    Might just throw them off balance a bit lol

10. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I've also seen Ford Taurus Wagons and other smaller 1990s types around but generally speaking I'm not on the lookout for them. I suppose the Volkswagen Passat counts too but it's smaller size, I saw one of those in a grocery store parking lot. Some of those came as Diesels with manual transmissions and although my impression is they're difficult to service they do get over 40 MPG on the highway.

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Oh, criminy, you had to remind me...

I saw a gas Passat wagon POS, black/silver, crazy paint job, but what made it sooooo fugly was the tires & wheels--the stupid yo-yo had mounted standard width tires on wide rims! It looked so ugly and stupid! Unfortunately, I couldn't react fast enough to snap a pic, because I was stopped for traffic and it was driving away in the opposite direction. I wouldn't p!ss on that crapwagon, let alone leave a card under the wiper.

12. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's a Volkswagen thing. Stretched tires, rusty hood, and a cooler mounted to the roof rack. Not many in my neck of the woods, but you do see them around from time to time.

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Have we just run out of original ideas for modding cars? Has it really come to that?

14. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Huh. The one I saw was just stock. It's not a big good sized wagon but I'm somewhat of a fan of them if only for the light body and that some came as Diesels with manual transmissions. Dunno if I'd ever buy one but I like the idea.

Also come to think of it I saw a light blue 1987-1991 Ford LTD this year and some years ago what appeared to be a dark blue 1977-1990 Caprice.

15. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Was driving the Mercury Wagon and saw a 1977-1990 Caprice Classic up close today in Ridgway, PA. This is possibly not the only time I've seen it; some weeks ago I was on I-80 (see my first reply in this topic) and the owner may have passed me while I was driving the Caravan. This Caprice is a dark red two-tone car without the roof rack option, with the dog-dish hubcaps and an "Ohio Historic Vehicle" plate on the front but it looked like it had a Pennsylvania inspection sticker (emission test not required either from age or the county it's registered in) and a car show sticker from 2012 just above the inspection sticker. I spoke with the fella who was driving it for a little bit but then had to park. He was already parked near the Subway (sandwich shop, not train station) and I parked a block away due to lack of parking spaces. I thought of mentioning the forum to him but after I walked out of Subway it looked like he was napping in the back of the car and after that I lost my way, a few streets were blocked too as there was a running event.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016