"LPG only" conversion

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy & Emissions' started by Harry Clamshell, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

My 87 Buick below.....

[​IMG]

....Has been on LPG for close to 15 years, same engine, no problems what so ever mechanically. However the tanks are located where the 3rd seat used to be witch had to be sacrificed, leaves me a 5" inch deep lockable trunk and a great big void under the car where the gas tank would normally be.

Only problem I have with LPG is, in the 90's the government in Canada was going gang busters to promote the alternative fuel even giving $2k grants to those who converted. Keep in mind back then LPG was 1/4 the cost compared to gasoline In Canada converting for cheaper fuel did pay for itself in a short time if you owned the car for years and drove alot. Today 2015, LPG for the most part is a thing of the past. Gas stations for the most have removed the fill tanks = My car is stuck on the island as there are only 5 stations on the lower island that can fill my car out of 100+ gas staions..... I can never do a road trip to the mainland as where the "F" would I be able to fill it. Cost for a conversion on a carbureted car today here in Canada is not worth it not just because of where to fuel, but $3K+ for a conversion and now LPG is 4/5'th the price of gas.

Personally I like my LPG, it's still a bit cheaper to operate, burns clean, motor oil NEVER turns black............ And it has happened to me where a tree hugger with there save the world carbon foot print propaganda gets in face about how my car is killing the world I mention..... How many cars have you owned in the last 6 years? Is your car still on gas??? What carbon foot print damage was done in making your new plastic car??:D

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That point about the lack of filling stations is the biggest reason there are little or no alternative fuel stations--no one wants to spend the money upfront to get the stations converted to be able to sell it. Just look at how few stations there are for E85, for biodiesel, and for LPG/LNG.

3. Tarjeinorway

Tarjeinorway Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    My car is original a 3 seater, but i have removed the 3.seat , and the spare wheel, for giving Space to he gas tanks. I have 2 gas tank at 70 liter. I will post photo later ( I`m on holiday now ) It seems like it a big interest for clamshell wagon in the Netherland. Perhaps we should make an European clamshell meet ....

4. Tarjeinorway

Tarjeinorway Active Member

Wagon Garage:

Here in Norway it is a lot of LPG filling stations, and the LPG cost about 50 % of regular gas. But the government do what they can to make LPG cars out of the market. It is difficult to get a LPG car approved, specially New car. You need a lot of paper and documents etc. But some American car is approved, and many of the New American cars is LPG cars. To my Company i bought 2 New Chevy cargo van`s With LPG in dec last year.
    In Norway we have a lot of guest workers from eastern Europa, and most of them drive their small cars With LPG, and therefore it is, solong a marked, and the gas stations can maintain their business. In Norway some calling LPG for " Cheap Polish gasoline" . In Norway regular gasoline cost about 2,2 dollar pr gallon, so i mean seriously that the LPG make it possibility to use my car, and drive and enjoy it without use all my money on fuel...My 73`455 use about 2,5 liter pr 10 km. I have just mount a tranny with overdrive, and I hope that will decrease the fuel pr consumption.

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I can only guess the reason for the spare tire to be removed was due to the limited room under the car because of it being a clam shell?

I have 2, 50 liter tanks under mine. Not the best pic but it gives you the idea, and I still have my spare tire where it should be.

[​IMG]

Pretty much the same here. Previous owner, a close friend of ours had to get the front windshield replaced due to a rock hitting it on the HYW. The Canada Safety Approval Sticker was and is on the front windshield, They would not just issue another sticker even though it was a legitimate insurance claim with out the LPG system being inspected and it cost her almost $1k some 7-8 years back. No sticker and NO PLG station will fill it. That said, my Buick's sticker expires in 2 years and will need to be recertified and I have a gut feeling it will be cheaper for my pocket book to convert the car back to gasoline.:slap:

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I suppose, anything except electric power, in Norway, is now obsolete. What's not clear is to why a government profitting from nationalized oil production would want to discourage burning refinery waste gas which would otherwise get burned off, when storage becomes unfeasable

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/auto/marktuebersicht-gib-gas-1.3778239

[​IMG]