Great replacement di-noc comparison

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by 90merc, Nov 30, 2011.

1. moparpaw

moparpaw New Member

Wagon Garage:
    woodgrain

I'm in need of woodgrain panel for a 1986 caprice classic left quarter ...does anyone have a clue......thanks
    Moparpaw

2. 1963CountrySquire

1963CountrySquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    woodgrain4wagons will rip you off!!! I'm still trying to get my money back from the awful junk that they sent to me and the horrible work they did on my trim (including breaking some of the pieces and not admitting it)!!! I found a place in Wisconsin that did mine almost perfectly.

Professor likes this.
  3. Laddcruzer

Laddcruzer Member

Wagon Garage:
    Woodgrain4wagons

I'm very surprised that Mick would do that. I've seen his work (excellent) and will be using him on my 63 Squire. Are you sure the carrier didn't damage your trim pieces? Go Badgers!

4. 1963CountrySquire

Wagon Garage:
    If you are using Mick on your Squire then it won't look like the original stuff from Ford. The people who did mine got it almost exact. Every one of the Ford guys who have seen my car says it's right on and Mick's isn't even close to close (they've seen both versions). Mick claimed it would be close which it isn't. The decals are almost black. The trim looks like a bunch of scrap glued together and it's the wrong grain, wrong colors, wrong finish and has drips in it. The carrier did NOT damage my trim. The very sturdy wood container didn't have even one bit of damage to it (all of the corners of the container are still sharp). And, if a 1/4" thick piece can break (which it was and which would take some effort to break it) then all of the fragile pieces would have been broken (which they weren't). No, the guy ripped me off and won't tell anyone the whole story. He claims I wanted an exact match (which is a lie -- I just wanted close as he claimed he could do). He says he sent pictures (he did email me some but the pictures were so washed out I couldn't make anything out). I called him and told him I couldn't see anything and he told me it was close so I trusted him. He doesn't tell anyone that either. If you want ugly then go ahead with the guy. I wanted mine to look like it came from the factory (because I was restoring it) and now I have that. I even took first in my class at it's first show. It even beat a red '63 Squire that had taken first in multiple shows over the years. I'm only bragging on the job that the people in Wisconsin did on my woodgrain. Good luck.

Professor likes this.
  5. Laddcruzer

Laddcruzer Member

Wagon Garage:
    I appreciate your input and will certainly take it into consideration. I was wondering what was "off" with Mick's product, the wood grain match, the coloring or the spacing of the lines. Or was it just applied incorrectly? My wife is from Brookfield, Wisconsin so I am back there every so often. Unfortunately
    driving the Squire from California to Wisconsin is a little out of my "road trip" league. One more question: Did the di-noc wood grain vinyl you had put on have the narrower black lines like the original or were they a little wider apart?
    It seems all the product I can find, Stripeman, etc has the wider lines. Thanks, David

6. 1963CountrySquire

Wagon Garage:
    As far as the dark decals go, the color from W4W was way too dark. It was almost black. He sent me a sample and it didn't even match the sample he sent! I had sent him an original sample which I requested to be returned and he never returned it! The stuff I had applied from the place in Pewaukee is almost exact in color and the lines are spaced correctly. If you are in Brookfield at the time Soerens Ford is putting on their show, look me up. Just ask for John the '63 Ford guy. I have some pictures of my restored Squire on this forum. It's white with a red interior. If I could send you pictures of everything I would. I'd love to see your car and find out more about it. I've been collecting '63's since 1972.

7. Laddcruzer

Laddcruzer Member

Wagon Garage:
    I swear the white Squire with red interior that's posted on this forum's Garage is the one I have. It's exact, right done to the tissue holder. My does have the wire hub caps but it looks identical. Even the woodgrain is faded in the same spots. Perhaps that's not your Squire. I bought my Squire from a couple of guys from Oyster Bay, New York but found out they bought it from someone in Wisconsin, where the car spent most of it's life. Is that your Squire with the 3 pictures posted, one of the interior and 2 outside shots? I'll try to post some pictures myself. You will be amazed. Very interesting.
    David
    laddcruz@aol.com

8. martyk98

martyk98 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Unless your striving for complete correctness, have you guys considered vinyl car wrap? I don't need to stay politically correct with my resto so I'm heading to a shop that can vinyl wrap all my 64 Country Squire trim in the woodgrain of my choice, and they have a lot of choices. After that I can match my inserts to the new trim.

9. 1963CountrySquire

Wagon Garage:
    Hi Martyk98,
    The trim on my '63 Squire was originally kind of a wrap. The people who did mine (correctly) did indeed use a vinyl wrap. It would also be the same for your '64. (I compared the '63 & '64 Squire trim and they are the same). They could do yours too. They can also provide you with the correct color dark decals because '63 & '64 are the same except for the fact that '64's do not have the stripes.

10. 65Squire

65Squire Member

I have purchased the correct coded part # NOS woodgrain rolls for my 65 Country Squire (hope like heck they work) and found that the last letter of code for mine was a B. There is an A which I was told was a lighter color from 64 that was changed to the B in midstream 64. That A code is available on eBay now but only one roll.

Did your car or your other 63's have the brown color behind the vinyl from factory. I'm trying to find that color code or a picture so I can match mine before applying the NOS vinyl for correct color transfer thru the translucent vinyl. Not sure if 63 would have correct brown if so.

Do you have any close up pictures of your wood trim. I saw your car on Total Appearance Truck Painting and Graphics website. Looks darn good. I'd like to see and maybe take mine there. I'm in northern Indiana.

11. 1963CountrySquire

Wagon Garage:
    Hi 65Squire,
    The woodgrain rolls are not self-adhesive. You actually need to use glue to attach them. Then, you need to put a shellack or lacquer over them. At least that's what I remember the instructions saying for a roll of '66 Squire decal I had. (I think I made a copy but I can't find it). I would go with newer technology myself -- it's way easier. The decals I had done for my '63 Squire are an almost exact match for '63. A friend had a '64 piece and it also matched that.

My car did/does have that brown color that was under the original decals. It's the brown that is under the gas lid door (at least for '63). I had a friend mix some up for me matching it to that. The problem with emailing a picture is that the color can get lost in some way or another. Maybe there's a spot on your car that an automotive paint store can match it to. Otherwise, if you make the trip to Wisconsin, my friend can mix some for you.

The woodgrain on the trim was pretty light on '63's -- it didn't stand out like some people make it. Mine is an almost exact match. I posted 2 picture in my gallery for you.

I hope that helps.

John

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  12. Tyler2610

Tyler2610 Member

I know you probably got your answer 5 years ago but the pattern of Di-noc used by Buick for a good part of the '80s and '90s on the Estate Wagons, Roadmaster Estate, and Century Estate was Colonial Oak and the part numbers are 12309436 (20" x 60" sheet) and 12309437 (20" x 90" sheet). I was fortunate enough to find the larger sheet on eBay recently and it is an exact match for my '90 Estate Wagon. I haven't had it installed yet but have been told there are no guarantees dealing with vinyl that is probably 20+ years old. I hope I get good results because besides the wood peeling behind the driver's side rear door my car is in immaculate condition and it has nearly every factory option with only 60,000 miles!