1990's are now antiques

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by jaunty75, Dec 18, 2014.

1. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

An article in the February 2015 issue (which is already out) of Hemmings Classic Car talks about how 1990 year vehicles will now be considered antiques and eligible for showing at AACA shows. It goes on to list and talk about a number of 1990 cars that might be future collectibles. Three are wagons, the Buick Century/Olds Cutlass Cruiser, the Buick Estate Wagon/Olds Custom Cruiser, and the Ford Country Squire/Mercury Colony Park. The tone of the writing is pretty much that these vehicles represent the beginning of the end of the station wagon era as people were moving to mini-vans and SUVs.

One of the vehicles cited is the 1990 Pontiac Trans Sport. This was the first year for the "dustbuster" body style of the Trans Sport, Chevy Lumina APV, and Olds Silhouette, and Hemmings describes the Trans Sport as the "sportiest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other possibly future collectible 1990 cars shown are

Buick Reatta convertible
    Chevrolet 454 SS pickup
    Chevrolet Caprice Classic
    Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1
    Chrysler Imperial
    Chrysler LeBaron GTC Turbo coupe
    Dodge Daytona ES Turbo Hatchback coupe
    Ford Taurus SHO
    Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    Lincoln Town Car
    Mercury Cougar LS coupe
    Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

2. chefdough

chefdough junior member

Wagon Garage:
    Than that makes me a relic!
    :lolup:

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Danged I'm old ! I remember in 1957 when I bought my first old car, a 1931 Model A coupe and thought it was old. Just think it was only 26 years old at the time. I was one!

As much as I try I can't picture any vehicle newer than the 60's as old. My 55 Chevy wagon is a late model. Still try to find parts for those 90's wagons.

4. busterwivell

busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

Parts for the 90's cars is sometimes harder than parts for our tri-5's......

5. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    He he he, and I just got my Mercury of that same year in August. :p Just kidding. Ah well, I didn't buy it for the attention; I had been thinking of buying one on and off for a long time before I eventually did. Once (In 2001 or so) I saw a rusty wagon (1980s Chevy Caprice, maybe - I don't know) for sale for $400 and I said to my Dad that maybe some day I'd buy a Wagon for him. That's part of why I got it.

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I remember when the only parts available for a Model A Ford or tri-five Chevy were NOS or used parts. Now you can build either from the frame up with replacement parts.
    Most likely that will never happen with most newer wagons. Only cars like Mustangs and other collectable vehicles will have a large following that needs parts.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Some of the mid-size RWD wagons do benefit from these models' parts availability, especially if you want to uprate a car or a restomod: any Ford Fox-chassis wagons, any GM G-body wagons and to a very limited extent, AMC and Chrysler.

8. cadipacer

cadipacer Well-Known Member

If it qualifies for a antique license plate ( 25 yr old) then the car is accepted at most shows except the clubs that state rarity or low production
    or design marvels as Classics etc. or such stuff as that.:tiphat:
    (AACA is just lining up with the rest of the Country)