My Grandfather's pick-up

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by OrthmannJ, Jan 21, 2014.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

The boys and I took the truck to church this morning and Momma met us there. (since we can only fit three people in the cab) It ran great and stayed nice and cool so the new thermostat is doing it's job.

This afternoon I got the buffer out and Nathaniel and I took to shinning up the old girl. He's six years old and into cars and trucks and wants to help whenever I'm working on one. It's amazing how nice the paint is. I made a couple of discoveries while buffing it. It looks like the hood was repainted at some point, and it is thinner then on the rest of the truck. The right left fender has been touched up just ahead of the wheel well as well, so I think a repair of some sort was done years ago. I'll have to ask Grandpa about it. He may not remember though. Yesterday when I was working on it he asked me if he had purchased the truck new, because he couldn't recall.

All shinned up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really looks good. I would say it's better than a 20 footer, more like a 7 and a half footer.

Attached Files:

2. OrthmannJ

In the summer when the sprinklers are running I usually move whatever I have parked in the drive way onto the street so it doesn't get hit by the sprinklers and get waterspots. I just finished buffing the F100, so I didn't want my hard work to go to waste, so I moved it. When I move the truck the boys and Tucker and I usually go for a little cruise around the neighborhood. We did that very thing this evening. We were really enjoying ourselves, but as we got close to home I started to smell gasoline. We got back to the house and I took the boys inside. I noticed a drip coming from under the front of the truck, but I figured it was the coolant overflow (which doesn't have a cap at the moment)
    When I came back out there was a puddle under the truck and I realized it was fuel.

[​IMG]

I pulled the truck back out into the street (with the nose pointing up hill) and it stopped. I thought to myself "That was weird" and pulled it back into the driveway. After a few moments it started again, so back out onto the street and once again it stopped.
    I came to the conclusion it is coming from the fuel pump. The pump has a thread on fuel filter, so I am assuming that either the gasket on the filter was dry rotted and finally gave up, or the fuel pump itself is leaking.
    It's annoying, but to be expected on a rig that hasn't run much for the last half dozen years.

I got the garden hose out and washed down the driveway. I'm afraid I may have some dead grass, but if that's the worst thing that happens out of this I think I can deal with it.

Attached Files:

3. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Glad you caught that leak!

The truck looks wonderful. What a great color combination!

4. chefdough

chefdough junior member

Wagon Garage:
    Before I purchased my Country Sedan I was looking at old pick ups like this.
    The wagon won out because of its's practicality.

How cool is it to have a vehicle like this that has been passed down from Grandpa?

Best of luck! (y)

5. OrthmannJ

Me too.
    Thank you.

Very cool indeed.

6. OrthmannJ

I originally planned to drive the truck to work this morning, but due to the fuel situation I left it at home. Since my DD pickup was at my folks place I drove the Fury to work. Not a bad deal at all.

I ordered a new fuel pump from one of our local vendors and it just showed up. I can't do it this evening, so it will be tomorrow before I am back to cruising the truck.

7. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Don't some fuel pumps leak into the crank case? Check the oil for smell and fuel just in case. Kinda a good thing you parked on a hill and caught the leaker rather than someplace else.

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yes, check the oil. Otherwise, that paint's looking so very good. Now it's time to apply a couple coats of carnauba wax to protect the buffed finish.

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Um, which fender?:huh::hmmm::slap:

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Originally Posted by OrthmannJ [​IMG]
    The right left fender has been touched up just ahead of the wheel well as well, so I think a repair of some sort was done years ago.

Pay attention, the right left one. Not the left right one on the other side!:rofl2:Or was that the front rear fender?:yahoo:

11. OrthmannJ

See, I did that just to make sure you all were paying attention... :rolleyes:
    It's the driver's side front fender.

12. OrthmannJ

I know there is already a thread on here referring to Mister Murphy and his law, but it seems to pertain to this particular situation. Since the fuel pump was leaking on the F-100 and I needed to take my DD truck to the shop for an axle seal on Wednesday, I drove the Fury to my folks place and picked up the crewcab (daily driver) I took it to work the next day, made my appointment and then drove it home that evening. I went outside at about 9:30 to turn on the water valve for our sprinkler system and found my truck had a flat tire! I put on the spare, but realized I have Mag style lugnuts for the alloy wheels and the spare is on a steel wheel. I put it on but didn't want to drive it that way. So my situation is I have five vehicles, I can't drive the wife's rig to work, the F-100 is out of commission until the fuel pump goes in and the Ranger and Fury are at my folks place! I told my buddy about my predicament and he laughed (exaggerating a bit) he said "You have 15 cars and can't get to work!"
    Luckily my Brother-in-law who also works with me lives around the corner and he picked me and the flat tire up in time to get to work the next morning.
    Looks like I need to get the fuel pump installation on the fast track and bring the Fury home so I have some reliable transportation!

13. OrthmannJ

So with it becoming apparent that I needed to fast track getting the new fuel pump installed I arranged to have a couple of buddies come over and help me out. These are the same two guys who have always been there to help me no mater what (we've been friends since we were six years old) So I stocked the beer fridge and got a couple of pizzas and we were in business. As with most of our projects, there is a lot of joking around and what-not. One of my buddies has a son the same age as my oldest, so he brought him along. The boys played and us big boys installed the fuel pump. Needless to say it took us about two hours to get the old pump off and install the new one. We had a great time and the truck started right up when we were through, with no fuel leaks.

The next day I drained the old oil and added fresh stuff, just in case any fuel had gotten into it with the bad pump.

My oldest son Nathaniel wanted to help. He kept an eye on things as the old oil drained into the catch pan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's a good helper.
    I drove it again today without any problems. Hopefully now I can cruise in it for a while before the next issue raises it's ugly head.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  14. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Why am I laughing? :rofl2::rofl2:It really ain't funnny when Mr Murphy shows up.:rofl2::rofl2:
    So just how many beers and pizzas does it cost for three grown men and two boys to change an old Ford fuel pump?

A lot of people don't even realize that different types rims need different lug nuts. When I just had to have a set of take-off Camaro fancy 80's IROC wheels and tires on my 55 Chevy wagon it took more time and money to buy the danged special lug nuts than the wheels were worth. Even had to swap to metric studs.
    Smart to not drive that way.
    So 15 cars and had to hitch a ride to work?:yup:

15. OrthmannJ

Yep, had to hitch a ride...:rolleyes:

I'm getting a set of standard lugnuts to go with the spare for the future.

Two Pizzas and plenty of beer, and there were actually 3 boys. We had fun.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014