Is woodgrain removal required to redo?

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by pipinhispop, May 24, 2014.

1. pipinhispop

pipinhispop Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi,

I caught my door on the tree on our drive which means bodywork is needed on it, which also means I've got to replace all the wood otherwise it will stand out like a sore thumb. I was thinking of doing it anyway as it is so faded but this has forced my hand.

I am going to have to strip the wood off the door to be able to paint. But I am wondering if it is necessary to strip it from the rest of the car. Is there any reason why I can't just go over the top of the existing vinyl?

I was planning on just going around with some acrylic putty on the small number of nicks that exist and sanding the whole lot with a 240 grit.

The car is a 1970 Country Squire and I've ordered the wood from Stripeman.

Cheers
    Phil.

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So the real wood beat out the faux wood? So sorry to hear that. Its really difficult to find good replacement faux wood anymore. And matching what you have is nigh impossible.

If you've got an artsy in the family they could imitate wood grain, but you'll have to remove yours first.

I'm removing mine, and changing to a two-tone color scheme. I'll keep the woodgrain trim, only polished to its natural aluminum with a complimentary stripe, where the factory had black.

I'm going to try paint stripper (because it worked best the last time) and a thin scraper, then 80 grit, then back up to 320 grit before primer. And lots of warm water to rinse my rags, my plastic gloves, and my scrapers, and another bucket of clean warm water to rinse my hands if my gloves break.

It is one fugly job, especially on older wagons. :banghead3:

3. pipinhispop

pipinhispop Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I was gutted, it just rolled a few feet backwards when I hadn't put it in park properly, but wrapped the door right round against the wing.

I've got the new wood on its way from Florida, but as the original paint is so good and rust free and the panels are as straight as a die, it seems a shame to spend ages striping the old wood back and I certainly don't want to go anywhere near it with paint stripper. I was wondering if there was any reason for not applying it over the existing wood. I mean something like will the new glue react with it and cause it to lift?

Cheers
    Phil.

4. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

It is not recommended to apply new vinyl over existing vinyl, unfortunately. You will not get proper adhering and soon the "new wood" will delaminate from the original, which is still bonded to the painted metal beneath. You could try using a heat gun and warming the edges of the old vinyl where it wraps around door edges, etc. and slowly peeling back the vinyl. I've never tried this, but it would leave your body panels in more original shape. Then you would need to remove any adhesive residue left behind and properly prepare the painted surface for the new vinyl. Good luck and post pics if you can.

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I agree with 90Merc. Was the wagon always in England (cooler, wet weather)? If so, you could try 3M adhesive remover. It doesn't attack the paint.

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Adhesive-Remover-Surface-Cleaner.html

Follow the instructions to the letter. I've used it. Its not fast, but still faster than refinishing the paint work.

Mine was in the Mexican sun, for most of its life, so it was cooked to the point of cracking up.

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Phil, did you say darn it?:slap::cry:

7. pipinhispop

pipinhispop Member

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't say a whole lot really I was just quite numb, couldn't believe it. Just unbolted the door straightaway and got stuck into repairing it.

The car is from Arizona, Lake Havasu so yes it is very faded and cracked. I kind of liked it like that, loads of Patina, something you don't see over here.

Anyway, I am redoing the fibreglass too so it will look cracking when it's finished.

Shame its going to take so long to do, I can't imagine its going to be a 5 minute job to get it all off and keep the paint intact. I was really enjoying driving it at every opportunity, I must have spent a fortune in petrol so far!!

I have just bought a Toffee Wheel to try on it, normally used for stripe removal, its just a really wide stripe after all!

Ill give that adhesive remover a go too. I can see plenty of late nights scrapping in my future :-(

Attached Files:

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I guess you can't go to local junkyard and get another door. I don't envy you repairing that one. Necessity is the mother of invention, they say, but that door needs a miracle.:yup:

9. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I agree. That door is beyond repair but if you don't have another you have no other choice. Just work it out slowly. This is gonna keep you off the streets and out of the pub a few nights.:drink:

10. pipinhispop

pipinhispop Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi,
    The door repairs were beyond me, but my mate has done a brilliant job with it, just a final flat and it should be ready for paint.

The toffee wheel and adhesive remover makes light work of removing the old wood decal.

I've also made progress repairing the snapped fibreglass and preparing the rest of the trims for paint. I was wondering if anyone knows the colours to use? I can't seem to find any good close-up pictures of good ones to give me a clue.

Attached Files:

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    A couple places for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/70wagon/70wagon.html

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/ford.html

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/index.html

And for paint codes:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?make=Ford&year=1970&con=yk&rows=50

12. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Your friend did a nice save on the door I must say:thumbs2: have you mounted it for fit and final "tweaking" yet?

[​IMG]

13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    That is a great job with the door! I'd be working on that all summer to get it close to that straight.

14. pipinhispop

pipinhispop Member

Wagon Garage:
    He clamped jaws to each end of the door and used a hydraulic ram to stretch it back into shape, he then made a large lever that bolted to the mounting points to pull the frame back into place. I haven't seen it bolted to the car yet but apparently it fits nicely now, the hinges are slightly worn so I have ordered a repair kit to go on before the final fitting.

Here is picture of it before any filler went on.

Attached Files:

15. pipinhispop

pipinhispop Member

Wagon Garage:
    Its been a problem getting the paint matched up, in the end the rep had to come by and put a formulation camera on it. But its painted and back on the car this evening. It's not a 100% match but it's pretty darn close.

The woodgrain also arrived today so looking forward to getting stuck into that over the weekend :)

Attached Files: