1958 Chevy Delray Project

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by CapriceEstate, Mar 1, 2009.

1. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    Well, I still am waiting for the cold to break, so I can in fact start this project.

What I've got is a 1958 Chevy Delray 4-door. The car is still wearing some of the original green and white paint. It's a 235 Straight Six with a Three on the Tree syncrhomesh transmission and a one barrel rochester carb. The original seats are fair and the dash is pretty good.

It needs a lot at this point, all the lights work except for the rear directionals. It needs new glass in 3 door windows, both vent windows, and the windsheild. It has new front floorboards and needs rear ones. I have two of the original hubcaps.

The plan is to put in a 283 V8 out of a 68 Chevy C30 and a TH400 Trans in it, which I have bought. The 283 has a 2 barrel Rochester on it, but I have 2 Quadrajets, one of which will probably go on that engine (I like Rochester Carbs). Other than that, the motor and trans will remain pretty much stock.

I am going to do the interior back to its original seafoam colors, as I like the 50's feel. And for paint, I plan on doing flat black for the time being with red wheels. But once I get the cash, it will be dark green below the center trim line, seafoam above the trim line and either a white or a black top, haven't decided. I am leaving the full chrome and just going for a mild custom, nothing too fancy. With the auto, I plan on leaving the clutch pedal and making it look like a 4 on the floor. I do plan on putting a modern sound system in the dash with good quality speakers, so the oldies sound real nice when I'm cruising.

I will keep everyone up to date as the project progresses and am open to any neat ideas! I do plan on putting period accessories on such as a Traffic Light viewer, and such.

Thanks everyone! Here's some pics!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    I've picked up a couple extra old period items. I found a set of 1958 Wisconsin License Plates for only 20 bucks. And I also came across a dealership emblem for the dealership here in town back in the day, which was only 5 bucks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's gonna be pristine material to work with. Keep up the good work. (y)

4. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the Well-Wishes Norman! With this 50 degree weather, hopefully my dear ol' dad will let me get the 58 in the garage for a weekend to put in the new motor/trans. His 283 for the 57 Ain't back from NAPA yet, so here's hoping!!!!

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I did that job with my dad in 45 minutes! New motor and tranny. The small guy (me) did all the underside stuff, and dad (the Hulk) did the top-side stuff. Come on dad, help the little feller out, eh! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

6. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Yup, unfortunately my dad and I are both big guys. I'm 6'1 and 255 lbs. And my dad's 6 foot, 204 lbs and a body builder. Luckily, my younger brother is 15 and a little shrimp, not to mention a whiz with anything mechanical (he's done a lot on my wagon) and can crawl underneath. Plus my buddies and me (there's about ten of us) known as "The Caledonia Customs Crew" will all be there with a helping hand. But with Mom and Dad's 3 car heated garage with 220 wiring, an air compressor, and 3 tool boxes and 2 cabinets full of tools and supplies, I'd have it done quick. I think the driveshaft may be the only thing to pose a problem.

My buddy pat and me are taking his battery out of his 68 Chevy truck, since I had to rob the one from this, since it was brand new and the one went kaput in the wagon, and try to get the old straight six started once more before I pull her outta there. So, that'll be tomorrow's project.

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Give Pat the tranny linkage section of the manual for a quick refresher, and some plastic bags to tape around the end of the tranny, and an old turkey pan to keep the fluid from draining all over the place. Car should be about 18" off the ground at the front, and the hood off. Pad the fenders with old blankets to keep from scraping the crap out of them. The chevies had the X frame right? So he should disconnect the driveshaft at the rear end before you pull it up. It makes it easier to line up when you reinstall as well as easier to pull it out from the tranny.

From my memories of my '58 poncho.

8. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Yup, the car has the X frame. I will definately be giving him that info, thanks so much. You're always such a help Normie. We were put off by the weather for another week. Went from Sunny and 50 on Friday, to Rainy and 40 today and Rain/Snow and 30's tomorrow, and in the 20's the rest of the week, with hopes of warming up by Saturday again. So, here's hoping for the warm!

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Have you got an engine lift and a chain 'block-and-tackle'? I'd grab the front crossmember from a rafter in the garage and lower the car while you're wiggling the engine/tranny out of the bay. OR run the car up on high ramps and roll it back when you're pulling the mill out.

10. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    I'll have to do the latter. My garage is fully drywalled and painted with inset can lites, so there's no exposed rafters. I am going to borrow an engine hoist, since my pop won't let me buy one. And I'll have to buy some ramps, but again, thanks for the advice.

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    A great big tripod with a tarp on it? I think ours was three 3" X 1/4" wall pipes about 15 feet long, with a mother-truckin' bolt to hold them together and a welded 3/4" ring off the bolt for the chain-block to hand from. Took two men and a boy (me) to get it in place. But even a 392 Hemi wouldn't bend the legs. Mind you the 800 lb. Hemi would drive them into the ground by 3 or 4 inches. :lolup:

Anyway, be safe. You gotta drive it after all that good work. :drink:

12. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Yup, I'm a very cautious guy. I kinda get picked on for it. I can't wait to get all this stuff done with, so I can drive it. I got a couple lady friends to impress with it, ya know? And it's nice to have them bench seats, so she can sit up close to ya. Now, the big thought is to go with or without seatbelts.....

13. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, no rush for bucket seats until after 15 years of marriage. :evilsmile: Unless you get the reclining buckets. ;) :lolup:

14. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    You're gonna want to look at this site! 1955 to 1957 Chevy parts and completely NEW bodies, but lots of small metal parts, new floors, etc. They let you login as a guest to see their catalog too, so I guess they've got lots more for late 50's Chevies, Plymouths, Barracudas, and a lot more, just not Fords. :cry:

http://www.shermanparts.com/index.html

15. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    another hubba hunny

Named after Del Ray Beach,down in Florida,no doubt.Maybe that makes it an East Coast Malibu.;) LOOKS GREAT!!! Hopefully that roof rust doesn't run too deep.:oops: Definitely worth saving and keeping.:yup: Not just good luck with this one---mighty fine luck!:yahoo: