Vintage gas station Pictures

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Safari57, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    BadEyeBill likes this.
  2. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I do miss "the local garage" - we had one when I was a kid; my little brother worked there (I worked at the car wash) and it was the spot to take your high school beater and get it fixed enough to get you through another day.

3. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Most of my buddies worked at gas stations after school pumping gas, changing oil, fixing tires, and being nice to customers. After hours it was the gathering place for the rest of us to show up with our cars to either fix them, or to just sit around and talk cars. As a kid we traveled all over North America and I remember the incredible service we'd get at gas stations. And the old pop machines with the bottles in the cold water, the jars of candy you got to reach in and pick out, the smells of the older stations and then the ones that were part of a country type store, they are stamped indelibly in my brain. Funny how I remember more about the gas stations than I do about the schools I went to. I wonder why?

OrthmannJ likes this.
  4. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    thanx Barry....some cool shots there(y)

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A hotrod shop in the neighborhood, even:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish we had these back:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  6. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Oh boy, this one's perfect:

[​IMG]

7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Ha, ha! Militaria auto parts. Dig that enemy air filter. He should've converted it into an oilbath type. Must've spent his time in the service painting up P-51 Mustangs and to-drop bombs.

8. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    The little family Shell station with one work bay, the RR track behind it, The Dodge dealership across the track, even the road out front is even gone. Replaced by the ER entrance, hospital extensions, and parking lots. My brother and I miss the colored balls bouncing in the round gas filled hole as "Frate" smiled and pumped regular into the family Chevy.
    Sometimes a free drinking glass, maybe a cigarette lighter for dad, Green Stamps, and other things while paying under 24.9 cents a gallon for gas around 90 octaine.
    The laughing happy attendants washed all the windows, checked the oil, addded some cheap reconditioned oil, aired up the tires, checked and filled the radiator and battery, and made faces at us kids.
    After I got my first car I'd stop there with my girlfriend for the same service while those same young guys stared in the window at her knees.

Now I walk in the local station, prepay some sour faced older woman after waiting in line for people to buy lotto tickets, soda, cigarettes, and candy. Walk back out and figure out which buttons to push, wait for the pump to turn on...... wait some more until the funny dressed and funny talking sad looking attendant has a break from selling lotto tickets, soda, cigarettes, and candy. Fill up my Chevy, walk back inside, wait some more until the unpleasant attendant who speaks little English sells lotto tickets, soda, cigarettes, and candy, then pay, walking back out to my car a half block away after paying $3.09.99 for regular with corn juice added at 3/4 the octaine the 25 cent gas used to be.

Grizz likes this.
  9. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    So, you went back for more. I know what you mean, Sir. Better to have an evil clown grin at you than to suffer a Soviet-type surly cash register dictatoress overcharge you for corn squeezin'-diluted gasoline.

10. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That sounds nice to hear, ModelT1. I'm far too young to have been at gas stations when they were like that. At least there's a pay at the pump system now even if it's not the same.

I have to keep inflation in account, even considering that gas was still cheaper in 1962; it was $2.28. The price for 87 E10 in my area now is about $2.55 per gallon and some stations stock 100% Gas (E0,) one has 91 Octane E0 for 70ยข per gallon higher than 87 E10. I prefer to use E0 in the weed whacker, I won't use it in the cars much; it's a $14 difference filling up the Caprice and I haven't seen a big difference in mileage when using it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  11. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    That's a good idea. I put it in the mower as well. Matter a fact there was a great to do in the owners manual about the factory warranty not covering damage due to gas not treated for ethanol. And about the gas stations, unfortunately they make very little on selling actual gas, and probably less on customer service. There is a family owned "marathon" down the street. Same folks for the last 15 or so years. Nice people and there is always someone there just kinda talking and hanging out, drinking coffee or having a smoke. (in a good way, not in a homeless vagrant way) I always try to make a point to fill up the vehicles there. And of course restock the beer fridge

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  12. BillT

BillT Well-Known Member

I was the one washing the windows, lol. Texaco Station starting in '69. Two bays, 3 pumps with Hi-Test in the middle. Check under the hood, check air pressure, add water to the radiator, etc, all for Free. I washed every windshield for anyone who bought $3.00 or more or for anyone else who just requested it. We weren't the cheapest on gas at .35 and .39, but with the good service we gave, our pumps were usually pretty busy. Ran the station myself, starting at 16 years old. Besides the services above, I repaired tires, changed tires, changed oil, did small repairs and gave directions to boot. All for $1.50 per hour. Looking back, they were great days.

Country Sedan and ModelT1 like this.
  13. BillT

BillT Well-Known Member

14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Is this guy wearing a romper? And where's this? Are they in the midst of a Duck Mafia?:

[​IMG]

101Volts likes this.
  15. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    [​IMG]

101Volts and BillT like this.