Does anyone have any experience in having true duals with some brand performance type low restriction muffler.... .I've posted earlier about using regular air shocks to replace the non functioning factory leveling system....and have decided to try sensa-trac coil overs.... any comments would be appreciated.... I love my wagon!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want to wake-up the neighbors at night, the flowmasters will do it! I alwars used a 'hemi'muffler, I think by Walker - liked the sound. But will be different, using dual cats.
flowmasters You mention dual cats.....you talking about cataylic converters.....I took mine off an replaced it with a piece of pipe.... .with no I'll effects.... I'd like just a mellow type sound as opposed to loud... lol,,,,,,say yours was called a hemi from walker..... thanks for all this.... don't mean to worry you
On Nora, I have a pair of high performance catalytic converters that perform as expected for emissions, but do not create any back pressure, or so it seems. I've had people tell me they must be hollow, but they aren't. Then I have an X cross over for balance and flow, then a pair of FlowMaster DeltaFlow mufflers. The whole thing used 2 1/4 inch pipes. Not overly loud, but a nice burble to it. My only mistake was using the long tube headers. They ride too close to the ground and rub sometimes. Of course, it doesn't help that Nora sits low to the ground anyway. The Sensa-Track is a great shock on a G.M. My brother had them on his 86 Parisienne Safari, and I had the closest thing to on both my 84 Delta and 78 Electra. They work super well on Ma's Volvo 245 as well. Just never use them on a big Ford. They are HORRIBLE!
I've got a heavy Flowmaster bias, only because I like an aggressive sound. I've put them on '94, '98 and '03 Corvettes, '70 El Camino, '64 Impala SS convertible and on my 1969 Fairlane wagon. 40 Series for the El Camino, Impala and Fairlane; I think the Vettes were 80 series.
Our experiences with any Flowmaster series is they were too loud. Some like loud. So do we. Police don't like loud. Many other people don't like loud. And after awhile, we do enjoy talking to each other and listening to the radio while driving. We've had better luck with "el cheapo" Advanced Auto turbo mufflers and Cherry Bombs.
I've had limited experience with Flowmasters. Didn't like the drone in my Studebaker wagon. Swithed to Magnaflows. That's what I put on everything now.
The exhaust on my '96 was basically stock, but I'd replaced the factory mufflers with Flowmaster 40's. I left the stock resonators in place in the back. I think it sounded wonderful. Burbled like a motorboat at idle, sounded awesome when I got on it, yet it's nice and quiet with the cruise control engaged on the highway. Easy to mod LT1 exhaust, it's true-duals from the factory. I've yet to modify the exhaust on my new '92 Custom Cruiser. The main issues with going to duals on the TBI cars are the fact that the transmission support only has a single hump for the exhaust, and it's difficult to run pipes to the rear on the driver's side because the gas tank is in the way. You CAN exit out behind the rear wheels, but then you lose the resonator. All depends on how loud you want it. One more easy alternative is to go with a 3" single exhaust from the manifolds back, plenty of flow for an LO5, and with the right muffler sounds good. Use the 91-93 Caprice 9C1 Y pipe and then 3" exhaust from there back. Will look stock but flow and sound a lot better. -Mike
flowmasters thanks for the info from you guys.....I've had this wagon for several yrs and just decided to "bring it to the front" so to speak....I sure appreciate all you guys for replying
not tryin to hijack your thread, but since its on the topic of exhausts. what would give my 3.1 v6 a mean sound? would the flow master do it?
Got to be careful with a V6, you can make it sound like a bumble-bee and actually cheapen the car. That said, I've had three Chevy Citation X-11s. Those had an HO 2.8 V6 in them, which is a grandfather of your 3.1 From the factory, these have a really mellow muffler with dual outlet tips. I believe Maremont still makes them. -Mike
To recap - if you're a cranky old guy, don't get Flowmasters. If you're able to handle the badassedness (yes, that's a word) that comes with running Flowmasters, get the 40's and get down with your bad self!