wheels and tires for the 71

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Westender, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    the new wheels in route kgrhqjhjbwe_kh_k3ovbp1vdtp6cw60_58.jpg

3. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Those will look great on your wagon - what size are you getting? They are similar to the wheels I put on my wagon. Mine are 17x10 rear and 17x7 front. Baby's getting new shoes!

4. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    sizes are i ordered are
    17x8 with 245/45 front
    18x9.5 with 275/45 rear...should look awesome with it laying frame...or as close as i can get it...lol

5. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thats a sweet looking Fairlane Jr....love that bump hood as well....I'm goping to pick up the cowl hood for my wagon on the next run to Chehalis....there is a chevelle parts dealer there....not gona pay 175.00 for shipping....lol....its a hour away from me

6. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks! That hood will look great on your wagon! Post some pics when you get the new tires/wheels.

7. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Air Tank Layout

Finally got a start on the 71 again, cleaned up the trunk well area..coated it with herculiner...(love that stuff)..set the tank and the compressors....its a start anyways ))))
    tank_layout_reduced.jpg

8. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    main bolt breaks

had a great day planned today with the new motor....all the final parts arrived to get the longblock ready to put in......on final torque....the main bolt broke off in the block....so after some copious amounts of cussing...i came to the conclusion there is only two ways to go about it....Either take the whole assembly apart again so i can drill it and use a easy out....or....i can bag it tight and tape seal right to the bolt area and cut a hole in the tape for drilling.....if i can do that....it will save me some time

9. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    ok..fixed the broken main stud in the block...went actually pretty actually....so the motor assembly can continue......put the new arp main bolt caps in ..got them torque.....heads are on and torqued.....next is to put the courtesy oil bath poor thru before i set the pan....then the longblock will be done...Already moved the wagon into position to pull the motor out....all the front pieces off the motor as far as brackets and such will be used on the new motor....so ...i will pull that and get it on the stand next to the other one...cant wait

10. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Here is the wheels and tires mounted finally[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Engine Time

:)The new motor has reached the stage of completion where i need front runner parts from the old one.. So ...with the help of my lovely woman , we started to get the car ready.....it went quick and simple...here are a couple pics from yesterday....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AS long as i get the time i need for detailing and the small stuff....the new motor should be going in very soon

12. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Tires/wheels look great - making a lot of progress!

13. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Jr....Gotta keep it rolling....want some summer time cruzing in it before winter gets here ))

14. Westender

Westender New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The "while its out BLues"

ok. ....been awhile since the past post...but here is where I am at today.... The new motor is all ready to put in....I did pick up a steel cowl hood for it off of craigslist dirt cheap...and it turned out to be a brand new one...got very lucky there.... but heres my dilema....I am sure we all reach this point at some time when we are messing around with our rides... the .."While i got it out blues".... I honestly thought i would just pull the motor and put the new one in and worry about all the other changes later....but....while i got it out....well.....the list starts to grow....
    like to upgrade to a 700r4 tranny....pull apart the front end and sand...treat and repaint everything.....replacing harness as needed....this one is quite butchered......strip...treat..and paint the frame....undercoat the back of the fenders....and on and on...where do yo stop at this point....I mean....truly..."while i got it out" will save money and time in the long run...especially time....so ..the more that i look at the engine bay with the old exhaust hanging there...and the surface rust here and there....it just seems inevitable that the " while i got it out" portion of my brain is gonna win me over.....does it make my wife happy?...time will tell....lol...but in the long run ..it will be a daily driver for the family + dog..so doing all these things at least i will be able to cross it off the list...just my thoughts over the last 2 weeks ...lol.....more pics to come of the pretty motor i have assembled for this

15. riverz

riverz Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I refer to this as while I'm at it syndrom and with me it pretty much always wins out. My last project started with a brake job and ended up with a brake upgrade and all new suspension. :D