Great replacement di-noc comparison

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by 90merc, Nov 30, 2011.

1. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Hi folks. I'm forever paranoid that someone will run into my Colony and that I'll have to completely re-do the woodgrain di-noc. I have gotten samples from 3M of their architectural finishes, but the product is just too thick, and I think would be hard to get to conform to different bends in the sheetmetal. The samples from woodgrain4wagons are a nice color, but too blurry looking for my taste. The same goes for Stripeman products. Then I came across a visual comparison of different replacement woodgrain samples that I am posting the link to. I really like the look of Auto Trim Design's "Cherry Oak", and it's not just for Jeeps (you can get pre-cut panels for the Grand Wagoneers). You can also get different width rolls and use it on any wagon. What's really good about this comparison is that the guy did it right on top of and next to the real thing on the side of his Wagoneer. Enjoy!

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=145609

2. Mark Ervin

Mark Ervin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    This thread needs a permanent sticky... Thanks.

3. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Thanks Mark

4. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

Printed on foil???? I don't think so....:)
    The most important thing is to make sure it's cast vinyl, regular extruded vinyl isn't stable and will shrink. The di-noc is way too thick, it's more for cubicle divider walls and wrapping pillars in buildings.
    I have samples from most of those places, I spent three years researching it while doing the resto on my former Vista Cruiser.
    The best stuff is the Sharpline 2 mil digital woodgrain printed on 3M high performance film IMO, my old-timer pro vinyl installer lady agreed.
    New Life Auto Trim had the best price and gave me an additional discount off the listed price. You can't buy it directly from Sharpline.
    The patterns on some of that other stuff sticks out like a sore thumb on the car and the pattern repeat is too close to do anything about, looks like a series of eyeballs or satellite hurricae images going down the side of the car.
    You can't tell from a little sample, need the whole roll or a pic of a car with it installed to tell. You get what you pay for with this stuff, you don't want to buy old film either, it has a very short shelf life and is usually printed when you order it.
    Nine out of ten cars that I've seen have the vinyl installed wrong, including the sample pics of the ones at that wagon vinyl place, according to them they're supposed to know what they're doing, sign guy turned into wagon woodgrain expert.
    Stevie Wonder could do a better job of through-matching the grain between panels.:rofl:

[​IMG]

5. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input BV. I guess it's a matter of taste. I prefer a deeper color in reddish tones, and a bolder pattern for di-noc, which is why I like Auto Trim Design's cherry oak. I have seen some "woodies" with really short repeating grain patterns, and I agree: it looks silly to have the exact same swirl pattern repeated every foot - very fake looking and usually not a sharp image either. At that point, no wood is preferable to a hokey looking job. But I think the sample shown in the post I found is large enough to give a good idea of what it would look like on a body panel. Of course, I would get a real sample before ordering any. Also, the Auto Trim Design product is clear-coated over exterior grade vinyl and has a 6-year limited outdoor warranty.

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    With all the technology now days I can't understand why it is so difficult to reproduce the original pattern and material??? This, to me, is one of, if not THE, most irritating and problematic part that is missing in restoring a "woody" wagon. I have never, EVER, seen any product that matches the original. None. There are some that come KIND of close to SOME cars but, the fact is, there just are no matches.
    BV wrote a researched and knowledgeable post on this subject in another thread that I saved. He did a lot of searching and found some highly interesting and important information on the materials and the way they are manufactured. But, the bottom line to date, if you want to match your Di-Noc to have your car look factory....you are simply out of luck.

7. Mark Ervin

Mark Ervin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    So, does anyone know what type of wood GM was replicating on the 90 Buick Estate? I want to get as close as possible to the factory style but haven't a clue exactly what wood is represented on my car. I don't know if there's a factory code or something either.
    Anybody???

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm almost positive that it is straight grain oak....at least the lighter of the 2 patterns.

9. Mark Ervin

Mark Ervin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I need to figure out a way to get that car out of the sunlight. it is murdering the bad side. My son doesn't seem to mind, which is good as It seems wiser to hold off on replacing the stuff until I can be sure it survives his use of it, ha-ha-ha! I do, however, want to get the material as soon as possible.

10. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    i was told that lemon pledge (not lemon scented...actually lemon) is the best thing to use on the dinoc. something about the lemon oils actually keep the vinyl pliable. actually it wasnt a a new thing to me. a couple of people i know use it on the tonneus on their pickup trucks.

11. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

12. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Here are two color/pattern combos that might work well for your Estate:

http://www.autotrimdesign.net/detail.jsp?item=ATD-579BT&category=25006
    http://www.autotrimdesign.net/detail.jsp?item=ATD-580LF&category=25006

13. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

14. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Hey Ian, I think that Pledge only provides a short term solution, from what I've read. I found a product last year that's great, and it's been holding up and protecting the di-noc beautifully: Blue Magic Leather Cream Conditioner.

15. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Hey BV, this is an example of just what you were describing:

Image not available

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...4?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item415ff298f0#v4-38