1958 Country Sedan project

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Jairus, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Oh, I get it. I have owned Fords from '69 to '94 and worked on friends machines built in the last 10 years. Decided that my first '69 Mustang was easiest to work on some time ago and so was not too afraid to buy the '58 wagon. Just didn't realize how simple and basic the mechanics were as I have never owned a machine older than me!

Funny you mention the Fusion... drove one on Friday and it nearly killed me with the short ratio power steering, power brakes and delayed electronic throttle linkage. Talk about Future shock! Plus the thick windshield posts are huge blind spots not apparent in my wagon. Don't even ask me to try and change the waterpump, starter, plugs, much less fix the turn signals...
    (You need a professional to remove the airbag before pulling the wheel, btw.)

A vain attempt to prove that wagons run in my blood since day one...
    [​IMG]
    Yup, that's little Jairus sitting on the hood of Mom and Dad's Country Sedan (tudor)!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's my Mom there telling me to smile but... the bugs on the ground were more interesting. I was sure dashing in those overalls. :tiphat:
    The Sunliner in the foreground is currently in my brothers storage awaiting restoration.

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

My folks had a 58 Ford wagon too. It was also white(red interior), not sure if it was a country sedan or a ranch wagon though? Definitely not a squire. Cool pics, thanks for sharing.:thumbs2:

3. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Spent yesterday at a car show as "Rat Hole Customs" with my partner.
    Oregon weather decided to give us one last hot summer day for this event and it was HOT HOT HOT! Which is why we sold about a dozen hats and only a few t-shirts. Didn't even put out the sweatshirts... but it was a great day and fun to boot. Plus, the wagon ran flawlessly! It is a dream to drive now that I got all the major stuff fixed. Pulling out into traffic is just a simple matter of putting the foot down! Way quicker than a..... what? 3500lb car should be?
    (Make note: Get the car weighed next time I pass the Hwy 22 dot station)
    [​IMG]

When I took delivery only the temp gauge worked, it started easy but ran poorly. This is no reflection on the Seattle Lutheran High School group who built this car. They did a wonderful job on the things they turned their attention to. I never expected this car to not have a few failings. I am only mentioning this list to get it down while I remember and to keep track of progress since I never made posts on most of the stuff.

Some stuff fixed, repaired or outright replaced since I picked the wagon up 3 months ago:
    Rebuilt the Distributor
    Set timing
    Sealed up a radiator leak
    Tightened up the alt belt
    Replaced fuel tank sending unit float
    Replaced all in-line fuses
    New wiper blades
    Turned up the exhaust tips
    Replaced all lightbulbs except headlights
    New taillight gaskets
    Installed new ignition switch
    Rebuilt the turn signal switch
    All new dash knobs
    Installed a roof rack for my stick
    Made two new split bamboo sun visors and installed
    Fixed the headlight switch thus providing dash lights with a dimming feature
    Installed an underdash 8-track and two speakers
    Title changed and new plates installed (Most expensive item next to full coverage)
    Fixed the drivers side exhaust manifold leak
    Got myself a dash mascot
    [​IMG]

Sure there are a few things I missed. And sure are a lot still left to do like clean the cowl drains, lube the diaphragm in the wiper motor, replace the twisted rear bumper, check the heater core... etc, etc. but for now it is a dependable driver that starts every time and runs beautifully which is a lot to say for a car that is 53 years old! Lots of people say: When are you going to paint it? I tell them that the blue is growing on me and I might put the chrome back on and leave it for now.
    It's got good brakes, tires and turns heads here in Salem. So maybe that is enough for now.

Respectfully submitted,

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Truely one of the classic wagons. She looks like she means business when she's rolling, even when parked!:thumbs2::)

5. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The more I work on this car the more I am impressed with the construction. I have worked on a friends 1966 Mustang that was in worse shape than this 53 year old machine is now! Even after it's having sat in a farmers field for years.
    At any rate the turn of weather to fall and rain has made the passenger carpet wet. Since I don't have permanent garage space, a fix was in order.

With the wagon temporarily inside, rain falling outside, and classic rock playing softly in the background I pulled the cowl vent panel and started chipping away at the seam sealer directly above where the water was coming in.
    [​IMG]

After a couple hours of scraping, vacuuming and sanding rust I am surprised how little rust there actually is! Surface rust only.
    [​IMG]
    Tomorrow I'll head to the paint store and pick up a tube of new and improved seam sealer and some brush on Rustolium.

If anyone has suggestions or brain storms please let me know now before I screw something up.

P.S. I love working on this car!

6. MotoMike

Thanks for the update, I love seeing this old wagon the kids did. My folks had a 58 wagon too, first car I can remember them owning. (y)

7. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sorry, no additional pictures but some decent news to report. It rained HARD last night. I woke up at 4:00am and worried about the wagon being out in the rain. But, the worry was unfounded as the cowl I spent last weekend resealing held up to the onslaught! I mean no drips on the carpet! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

The tailgate still allows a little moisture to drip on the cargo floor, and I ordered new rubber for that on Sunday night along with brand new door lock cylinders. (Very expensive, but cheaper than getting them re-keyed to fit the ignition it turns out. As for the tailgate lock... I might be able to re-key that one on my own if I have enough of those tumblers using the old lock cylinders as parts.
    (Yeah, I am a do-it-yourselver to the max))
    So, eventually I'll get this puppy sealed up again. :)

8. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Door locks are installed and I re-keyed the tailgate with all the left over tumblers. One key to rule them all now! :jumping:
    Also installed a new seal around the liftgate. No more water coming in there now.

But, been having a problem getting it started lately. Slow battery I thought. Took it down to Battery-Xchange and they said the alt was not working. $51 bucks later problem solved!

For the uninitiated here, I am attempting to use this car as my daily driver. Was fun in the summer, but now that the weather has changed... is getting a bit of a challenge.

Pulling the heater core next to ensure it doesn't leak all over the carpet before hooking that up to the engine. Fan, control switch and all the ducts are fine far as I can tell. Just wish I had more time.

9. MotoMike

Thanks 4 the update, was wondering how the wagon was coming along......let us know how well the heater works when you get it hooked up. Are there any good pics of dash showing all the controls anywhere?

10. MotoMike

So these cars came with alternators instead of generators from factory?

11. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nope, not originally. Ford began swapping over to an alternator about 1964 for generating current. The motor in this vintage Ford came out of a 1975 Pickup so the attending electrics came with it. 1975 to 2011 is not too bad for an alternators life. :)

12. MotoMike

Yup, that was good service for that alternator. I thought it was early 60's when the big 3 switched over.

13. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, I spent all day yesterday working on the Surf Rat wagon and only managed to destroy stuff instead of fix things.

The original vacuum wiper motor actually cycled back and forth, but not while the blades were attached. I figured it was just old and tired. I picked one up at a swap meet last Saturday and "went to school" on it.
    [​IMG]

Figured out where the weak spots were, cleaned, re-lubed it and put it back together and hooked to a vacuum line and.... it worked! Even went into park mode automatically when switched off.

So, feeling good at that moment, I pulled the original motor from the car, totally destroying the glove box and the defogger vent tubes in the process,* then took that one apart. Nothing was wrong with it except that one would not go into a park mode. When shut off it just stopped!
    [​IMG]
    The motor was well lubed, the timing cams worked perfect. I cleaned the switch slide and put it back together.
    Hooked it to the engine and it worked too! Whoohoo, I have two now.... but... neither has the power to pull even one wiper across a wet windscreen. Right now I have one wiper rod hooked up and the better motor installed. Who knows... maybe it will work at some point in time.

So... after a totally frustrating evening in the garage and bad dreams last night about not being able to get dry... I am searching eBay for a electric wiper motor replacement and some defogger vents that I can retrofit for the wagon.
    ('57 T-bird look good!)

The only good thing that came out of last evenings exercise was that now there's plenty of room under the dash to work.
    [​IMG]

Any ideas or suggestions to replace the wiper motor with a retro-fitted electric and those defogger ducts are welcome.

* Also sealing up some of the perpetual leaks... but the damage is done to the paper products. All the cardboard pieces: glove box liner and defogger ducts were like wet toilet paper just hanging there. And Oregon right now is in it's 3rd day of a 5 day winter storm! Over 2.5 inches of rain has fallen so far with power-out in various areas.

14. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I'll bet you can find replacement glove box and ducting in NPD or the other restoration parts houses.

Check out the links.

If you do convert to electric wipers be sure and save those vacuum units as they are getting hard to come by and you'll be the hero to save someone's project that wants the originals.

15. MotoMike

Hmm, maybe there isn't enough vacuum in line to run the unit properly? Are you working on the heater core at the same time since you're under the dash?