The 8-Track

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Jairus, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Junk

Junk Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My 1967 Pontiac Gran Prix convertible had a AM/FM stereo and a 8 track player mounted under the ash tray. The car was broken into a few times, and every time, it was just for the tapes. I still have the radio from the car, but don't know what became of the tape player. I have the original demo tape from the car in an unopened package. I am a pack rat, so I keep a lot of things that I don't have a need for. I have decided this year that I am going to start divesting myself of a lot of it. Anyone need a bronze water meter???

2. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    yur preachin to the choir my friend....:rofl2:
    I always say...."im 3 ashtrays and a hubcap away fron being on TV":rofl2:

I gotta start getting rid of stuff too...before one of my friends submits my name;)

3. flounnderr

flounnderr New Member

yes, yes and yes

4. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Last time I went to a flea market they had some old albums and my kids said," WOW, look how big cd's were in the olden days!" :rofl2:

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :lolup::biglaugh::lolup:

6. 73super

73super Well-Known Member

I'm so there! LOVE listening to LPs! Got a player in my shop (as well as a cd player, cassette player, am/fm.. yadda). LP's any day! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

Hey.. I'd like to see a video on FIXING the PLAYERS. Most of my tapes are fine.. just seems like the players are always going on me. What's the biggest cause of failure with 8 track players.. and fix?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    I've got hundreds of 'em and listen to them daily. It's fantastic listening to them and the stuff that just isn't on the radio anymore. I heard a song last night on one of my albums I bought last weekend. I had forgotten that song!

It was Carolina Moonshiner by Porter Wagoner.

8. dave from indy

dave from indy New Member

The biggest cause of 8-track player failure

I'm guessing it's the rubber band drive belt that breaks from heat and age. Jarius, have you repaired any players?

9. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Dave, my intention for this thread from the start was to demonstrate how to fix tapes and players to keep the tunes alive. Indeed 90% of the reasons for any player fails to operate can be fixed by replacing the drive belt! (Yeah, I have done this a few times.... *eyeroll*)

But life keeps getting in the way of that plan.
    The '58 Ford has been a bit of a struggle to keep running as a daily driver. First it's one thing and then another... now with rain pouring here in Oregon the floor is always wet and I am chasing down one leak after another along with working 50 hours a week.

The plan is to find an indash player and do just that: repair the drive belt and clean the capstan drive and head (With pictures of course). I also hope to show how to replace the little lights if need be.... but I have to find a player first.
    Today is SWAPMEET DAY in Albany, OR. Heading there in a couple hours and hope to come home with a nice in-dash unit that I can do just that with!
    (Also hoping to find some treasures for the '58)

After that there are two more tapes here that need repair.

Have a great Saturday guys!

10. dave from indy

dave from indy New Member

Hi Jarius,

I tried to send this to www.jariuswatson.com from your post but it kept sending me to something called 2fords network, so I guess I'll post it here instead.

I may have help for your wet floor (unless you have done this already): 1957 & 1958 Fords have molded rubber drain tubes at the bottom ends of the cowl area. If they deteriorate, water can get in. Unfortunately, you almost have to remove the fenders to even see them, let alone get to them. I replaced mine but it was 20+ years so I don't remember how much trouble it was. I bought mine from Dearborn Classics. I tried to find an illustration in my Ford parts book but didn't have any luck finding a drawing or a part number. Just an odd quirk of those 2 years.

11. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Got back from the swap meet a couple of hours ago. Two beers and dinner later I am finally beginning to feel warm again. Darned cold here!

Found a bunch of neat stuff for the Ford and a tape player to repair. Info later.

As for leaks.... I have already spent hours cleaning the cowl vent drain tubes and resealing all the seams that reside down there. No leaks coming from that area so this must be through the normal front door drains or some other seams.
    Too tired to look into it today, maybe tomorrow.
    At any rate I picked up a wiper motor and have already pulled it apart and cleaned each piece. Tomorrow I'll put it back together and give the sucker a good vacuum test. :party:

12. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Dave,
    Yeah, that's just my web site. Like a portfoilo thats online. If you go to the site and click on my signature at the top it opens an email to me in whatever program you use for email, but I don't have an email account set up with that .com account.

FYI, my email is: jairuswtsn@aol.com :)

13. whittier

whittier wagons for life

Wagon Garage:
    niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

nice love the 8 track, just pick 1 up for my 63 chevy wagon,,, cool touch with the kicks.. peace

14. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cool, tape or player? If player... in dash or under dash?

15. 80cutlass

80cutlass New Member Charter Member

you know the 8 track is honestly way cool for the nostalgia thing,,,,,but ,,,,smoke on the water,,,click,,,fire in the sky,,,,just comes up short,,,and yea i,m young /old enoung to have owned an 8 track player,,,,,both of my wagons i got have c,d players,,but its way cool to see an 8 track in a car,,,,even though the sound qaulity stinks compared to today its still way cool,,,,:clap: