jangleguy's intro

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by jangleguy, Feb 10, 2011.

  1. jangleguy

    jangleguy New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2011
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Southern Oregon
    So I'm posting some info on another forum about a station wagon book I wrote and someone posts telling me about this site. I couldn't believe it! Where were you guys when I was researching wagons? How could it be that this site never popped up in a year of online researching? Is it brand new? It's certainly below the radar, which is probably a good thing, but I sure could've used it last year...

    Anyway, about me. I was a chassis fabricator by trade, building hot rods, customs and race cars, until the economy got me in 2009. I lost everything (including my house and toys). But I'd been freelancing stories to magazines for years and was connected. One of those connections led me to Cartech books, where I now work. So I'm still one of the lucky few to make my living from my passion. I'm beyond grateful.

    Despite losing my own cars, I still keep active by crewing for nostalgia drag and Bonneville teams - but I feel kind of fraudulent writing about cars without grease and welding burns on my fingers... Although I do still have the beginnings of an Altered drag car in storage - for someday................

    Now that the wagon book is done, this will be my safe haven - a place to clear my head and recharge my battery. Oh yeah, my daily driver is a beater '80 Malibu wagon I was given for free, with a blown engine. I built a sturdy 355 4-bolt/TH-350 for it and have been driving it non-stop for the last 15 years. This summer, I'll say some prayers to the 10-bolt gods and try it on the strip - I know I'm getting rusty and the wagon will be more fun than a practice tree...

    And that's all I can think of for this introduction. If I left out anything important, just ask and I'll be happy to answer to the best of my ability. And thanks in advance for the great wagon education, entertainment and inspiration.
    Scotty AKA Jangleguy
     
  2. silverfox

    silverfox New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    16,780
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, jangle. Great intro. Like to read your book! (y) Got pix of your bu?:D
     
  3. wixom61

    wixom61 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Messages:
    2,555
    Likes Received:
    19
    Trophy Points:
    111
    Location:
    Dallas
    Hey jangleguy, WELCOME!!! :Welcome::Welcome::Welcome:
    Nice intro. Glad you found us!
    Tell us about the wagon book you wrote. I'd like to buy a copy!

    David :)
     
  4. Mark Ervin

    Mark Ervin New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2010
    Messages:
    557
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Rural Nebraska
    Welcome to the forum. I'll be sure to check into your book.
     
  5. BlueVista

    BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1,900
    Likes Received:
    141
    Trophy Points:
    170
    Location:
    Northeast Ohio
    Welcome.

    The problem on finding this site is the "s" on the end of "forum", I couldn't even find it for awhile after my pc went down and I lost my bookmarks.


    I think you'll have to revise your book to include the vast SW knowledge on this site, and to put a picture of my car on the cover.:):yup:

    Although if you want to get technical a Vista Cruiser isn't a station wagon in GM nomenclature, it's a Vista Cruiser.:rolleyes:
     
  6. tbirdsps

    tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Messages:
    5,340
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Ridgecrest, Ca.
    :Welcome: Worst case the axles will shear leaving the ring and pinion in fine shape.(y)
     
  7. jangleguy

    jangleguy New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2011
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Shucks... I'll try my luck at posting a couple of photos here. Here goes nothin'...
     

    Attached Files:

  8. jangleguy

    jangleguy New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2011
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks David. Not sure if it's okay to talk about a 'product' I could 'profit' from on here. I may have already crossed a line by posting an image of the cover. Anyone know the rules regarding this situation?

    I'm mainly here to enjoy your wagons and learn from you.
     
  9. jangleguy

    jangleguy New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2011
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks Tbird - I feel a LOT better now...
    Actually, the R&P (3.08 limited slip) are okay and the axles are fresh Yukon cheapies with a tiny bit deeper hardening than stock. I expect the whole thing to explode like a cheap watch upon the first full throttle hit. Then I can build a nice 9" for it!
     
  10. wixom61

    wixom61 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Messages:
    2,555
    Likes Received:
    19
    Trophy Points:
    111
    Location:
    Dallas
    Rules? What do we care about rules! We are rebels! :taz::rofl2:

    I hope you do profit from putting this very cool book on here! :yahoo:

    David :)
     
  11. silverfox

    silverfox New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    16,780
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Nice looking bu, jangle.(y) I do want a copy of the book.....is it available in most book stores?
     
  12. BlueVista

    BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1,900
    Likes Received:
    141
    Trophy Points:
    170
    Location:
    Northeast Ohio
    Are there rules here??:confused:

    I wonder if I'll get in trouble for posting the link to pre-order the book??:eek::D

    http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?DID=6&User_ID=6761955&st=721&st2=84330&st3=-54788&Product_ID=3938&CATID=4

    "an informative and lighthearted look at the lowly station wagon"??:rofl:
     
  13. silverfox

    silverfox New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    16,780
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for that, BV.
    Pretty much self governed here, jangle. If you come to our house here pushing and plugging a product of yours, chances are you would be ignored. You didn't do that.....at least, you soft peddled it and you DO own a wagon. The membership here will decide on your book individually whether they want to buy it or not. Ordinarily, what we don't like, is someone new to pop up in the intro section trying to sell something WITHOUT the intro. Continued pushing will raise negative feelings most of the time. I, for one, would like to have a copy of your book and, thanks to BV's link, I will be buying one. I'm glad it was shown here and made available. You do understand, though, that it may be heavily critiqued here.:D
     
  14. wixom61

    wixom61 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Messages:
    2,555
    Likes Received:
    19
    Trophy Points:
    111
    Location:
    Dallas
    Thanks Blue! ORDERED! :yahoo:

    David :)
     
  15. jangleguy

    jangleguy New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2011
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks Silverfox, but it's really pretty crusty - one too many trips to Bonneville... I like that it's invisible to most people in traffic - you either get it or you don't. It's been a good solid driver and has delivered the goods for several years now.

    Yeah, the book will be available wherever money is accepted, by April 15th at the latest. Amazon and Barnes & Noble are accepting pre-orders now at 10% off.
     

Share This Page