Interior Mustang Mods

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Stormin' Norman, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I like that! SEMS runs at $15.00 per can up here. I really like this dark brown fabric. It just doesn't like the sun (fades). I'll try to find a dealer. Thanks.

EDIT: I tried the other site and it works too:
    http://www.colorbondtuner.com/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

When I bought the SEM for the wagon I purchased on line from SEM directly because no store carries it near here and it was $10.05 per can. Retailers have to mark up a bit to turn a profit.

3. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  4. tbirdsps

I'm here to tell you that our Ford dealer stocks almost nothing. Everything must be ordered so IMO ordering direct is the best option on price. Plus they do not do any body work at all. If there's an interior problem the order the part and change it. Pretty much they are parts changers and not repairers.

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I guess I'm lucky. My favourite Ford dealer sold me my first Farimont Wagon and now owns the dealership, AND... his dealership runs its own race cars, including Formula 1 Fords. The problem for us Canucks, is our Government disallowed a lot of paint and paint-related products, AND... if they freeze in shipping, they're NFG!

Anyway that aircraft supplier is out of Corona, CA, and Brampton, Ontario, Canada:
    http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/contactus.php

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  6. tbirdsps

Painted cloth seats

Here's a couple of pictures of painted seats in a 86 Tbird. They are painted with ColorBond. I'm not a fan of the scheme but they do look and feel nice.

raveninter.jpg

ravenrearseat.jpg

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:

The fabric looks soft. SEMS can't do that. Very nice. Thanks.

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    As good as it gets

I usually start with the ugliest, most awkward task in the project, but I got tired of hauling out the seat cushions and all the trim from the back and finished the speakers. It really was the most awkward task. Not hard, just that you have to be a contorsionist to do it.

Went in very nicely. Took more time than I figured it would by 4 times. Minor trimming to fit the wheel well curve, and 11 pop rivets to secure the panels nice and strong. Also had to secure the speaker wires so they wouldn't vibrate and rattle, and reinstalled the rear cargo area and Mustang split folddown seat backs. No pics of the final yet. What's really nice about these 1989 Lincoln speakers is that they have a solid 1/2" thick X 1/2" wide criss-cross X frame going across the speaker cone. You just know they aren't going to get punched in or damaged with a stray board, IF it gets through the thick grille. Very well made.

Here's the Passenger side:
    int_v3_1007_01.jpg

And Driver's side:
    int_v3_1007_02.jpg

All that wiring harness is for lights, wiper, washer fluid pump and cargo lamps. Just tucks under the finished panel.

Tomorrow: new Ebrake tunnel (rescued from another 1980 Capri) and AC condenser, rad flush (thanks Andy), and she starts a new life, as a Zorro IV or V? The Lincoln wasn't a Fox-bodied Versailles, but the Grille is from a Zephyr, the Console from a Fox-Capri, Some parts from a Mustang, others from the Fox-bodied Marquis and an LTD. I just need a nice swash-buckling Zorro 'Z' for a hood ornament. :evilsmile:

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Wish me luck. I hope to finish today, except for the headliner and amp switch, and turbo, and...:biglaugh:

Ebrake Tunnel, carpet, console, seats, AC condenser, reinstall and flush radiator/engine, fill with new fluids, and run it.

Brake bleeding and tuneup later this weekend.

10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Quick Progress Post on the EBRAKE Tunnel

Got lots to do today, but its all routine compared to this.

Like a steel drum! 24 rivets about 1.5" apart and 1/4" from the edge.

Here's what I did. If you go up this thread to the Console/Ebrake job I did without this tunnel, you'll see that I did a neat enough job. It didn't feel strong enough, so I went back and cut out the section from a Capri tunnel and brought it home, cleaned it up, used ZERO RUST to coat it.

First thing today, I marked out the alignment and spacing to sync with the console and my previous brake handle mounting holes. Then I removed (slit off the area where the new one goes) the sound deadener so it would sit on steel.
    int_v3_1008_01.jpg

My cutting wasn't wide enough for the factory cavity, so I had a bit more to trim off:
    int_v3_1008_04.jpg int_v3_1008_03.jpg

To get it close enough for the rivets. The larger holes are my original mounting holes:
    int_v3_1008_05.jpg int_v3_1008_06.jpg

One of the weldnuts broke off when I took it out of the donor car at the JY, but I didn't want to cut my floor any more, so I used one of the bumper hold-down clipnuts and pryed it under the triple layered steel where the weldnut used to be. Why to I like Ford? :evilsmile:

int_v3_1008_07.jpg

And 24 rivets later - TADA!!!:
    int_v3_1008_08.jpg int_v3_1008_09.jpg

Can't believe how strong that feels. Now, if I need to stop the car with the e-brake, I can!:thumbs2::D

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Am I efficient or what?

I got so into getting the console installed, that when I was done and preening my feathers, I realized I forgot the freakin' carpet!:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::taz: Sure looked good until I unscrunched myself and realized how I screwed up!:rofl2:

Well, I got it all out, and got the carpet in, all hooked up, ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! :slap::thumbs2::rofl2:

God loves me though. Another picture perfect day tomorrow, and the long weekend too! I packed in around 9:00 PM. Didn't want the neighbours thinking somebody was jacking my car. :naughty:

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    The Ebrake is such a treat! Even adjusts better. HandyAndy used his footbrake yesterday and it was impressive the way it stopped the car. I'll bet mine can do that too, now.

Used to rally drive in university with my Turbo Monza Corvair hardtop, and always used the console ebrake to get around curves better. Same with the 1988 VW Cabriolet. Just better control.

13. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    She's back together and running like a champ!

I just came in 10 minutes ago at about 10 PM. Camera batteries died so pics tomorrow. She is just plain awesome!

Andy gave me a bottle of radflush, so I finished up doing that, new antifreeze, new battery. What a sweet wagon. She loves her TLC.(y)

When I reinstalled the dash and inserting the ducts, I hesitated about the heater harness - over or under the duct? Nah, under's ok... NOPE! It was ok with the Fairmont harness, not the Capri harness. The glovebox wouldn't close. It jammed against the 1/2" diameter heater wiring harness. Took the dashpad off, loosened the passenger duct to get wiggle room, and after a good hour of pokin' and proddin', it came through with both connectors.

Even the interior headliner trim went back in easy. Just one step at a time, Had to be in a certain order. Interior, tweaks to the carpet, wrap up electricals, then under the hood. Like a trackstar in a turtle race. Slow, but sure.

Lots of pics and comments tomorrow.

14. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    The SWMBO is back tonight. :yippee: :bowdown::party4::party3::juggle:

Got lots to do.:whip::deadhorse:

I'll get some pics up, but I'll be busier than a one-armed paper hanger.

Have a great day folks.:wave:

15. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Congratulations Norm. I can't wait to see the pics of the finished product. You have the patience of Job, my friend, but it all seems like it's going to be worth it.
    Good job!