1965 Chevrolet Malibu

Year:
Color:
Mist Blue
Engine:
8 Cylinder
Vehicle:
CHEVROLET|NOMAD
  • 1965 Chevrolet Malibu Wagon, it has had a full 'body off' restoration and modified to suit us! Purchased without a drive train, we installed a 350 fuel injected engine from a 1989 GTA Trans Am. It has a 10 bolt posi, 700R4 transmission. disc brakes all around, Flowmaster SS exhaust & coil over on tubular control arms. Inside we replaced the stock front bench seat with a set of year correct bucket seats and the floor console is out of a 66 Malibu. We added a set of gauges in dash, a column mounted tach sits in front on a non existing gauge pod and we also installed “Vintage Air” to the car.
    When we first did all the mechanicals 10 years ago we had it on air bags: totally cool to arrive at a cruise or show and 'pull the plug' shhhhhhh---down she goes! Always drew a crowd but quite frankly that system always gave us trouble and once it was sitting on the pavement with a fried relay and we had to 'jump it' with a direct hot wire o get it up an home. Major P.I.A. (pain in A--) so we yanked out the bag system and reinstalled the old stock springs that were on the ‘saggy side’ back in the rear and a lowering kit in the front and got the great 'all purpose' stance it has now!
    Check out the 'Way Kuler' Coleman cooler in the rear: it is a speaker box. This was hubby Steve's idea and my woodworking skills that put this together. It holds 2 - 6x9" speakers and a 10" subwoofer. I gutted the cooler, just leaving the top edge of is as that section 'shows' and supports the lid. I built a MDF lining for it that fits like a glove and divides it into 3 separate compartments. The 6x9's are on the ends and the 10" sub in the rear which reverbs off the back of the seat! I even re-installed the drain plug in the end! There is an amp under the front seat and a decent stereo in the dash (the dash had already been cut so we were forced to not use a hidden unit) All of our wagons sport a cooler conversion as a speaker box as the large space is a challenge to fill; and that, combined with kick panel speakers really provides great sound!
    The two Muscle car Malibu wagon models always draw attention. They have also had body off restoration, but unlike our wagon they are no longer factory original coloured (they were gold) and they now match our full sized version!

I still need to take some more up to date pictures. We recently replaced the old school style mags with a set of 18” Rocket wheels, chrome ‘Booster’ style and a original style sport wood steering wheel. I do have a couple of exterior pictures that are up to date but not the steering wheel etc.